The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question What is John Anderson's Mare Gesine 36 wearing?

I've recently discovered the Spruce Meadows coverage on Fox Sports Midwest, and I just wondered what this was. Is it to keep bugs out of her nostrils or what??

Here's a link to a few photos.
    http://foxdalefarm-inc.com/gesine36.htm
    Life-long horse lover, dreaming of the day when I have one of my very own.

nosenet- likely she's a headshaker.

Yup nose net. Amazing how often this question has been asked...

P.

Allergies, perhaps. As a child I rode a pony who wore dampened panty hose over her nose to alleviate the dust and pollen. This is certainly a more sophisticated mechanism.

What exactly is a head shaker, and how does the hair net help? I"ve heard of it, but don't know how it works.

headshaker; do a search. It's been discussed to death!
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

The woman in the video on the website says its for fly protection, but I think she's on crack. Horses usually wear those when they are a headshaker.

It is a nose net used to help stop head shaking. However head shaking is not a simple problem, and cannot be simply reduced to allergies or bugs.

"At the moment it seems that every case is different and most owners find that no amount of dietary, tack or management changes make the slightest bit of difference. Some researchers have suggested that this is because idiopathic headshakers are suffering from a form of human trigeminal neuralgia (Tic douloureux). Branches of the trigeminal nerve supply sensation to the nose, face and mouth and neuralgia in these may result in shooting pains within the nose. The ‘head-snatching’ is an involuntary reaction to this and the rubbing is an attempt to remove the unpleasant sensation. The horse may be affected bilaterally (on both sides of the face) or unilaterally, with the head movements moving towards the affected side. Researchers are not sure why certain horses may have this neuralgia. As yet unconfirmed theories include; previous trauma to the muzzle area resulting in damaged nerves, hypersensitivity reactions to some vaccinations or neuralgia caused by the bit pressing on the sensitive tissues of the mouth.

Certain situations may make the nerve more sensitive and spark off a bout of headshaking. Common ’triggers’ seem to be exercise, wind, heat and sunlight. These elements can exacerbate the problem in the human form of neuralgia so it is likely that the same is happening here. Many owners feel their horse is allergic to a range of allergens in the countryside including pollen from crops, grasses and trees in the spring and summer, and moulds or dust throughout the year. But due to the lack of success of conventional treatments for allergies, the idea that the majority of headshakers have hayfever per se is losing interest within the veterinary community. It maybe more likely that it is a variety of triggers acting together that causes the reaction. For example, the culmination of exercise, sunlight and the stress caused by swarming flies (i.e. a typical hack!) can have the effect of triggering the neuralgia."