The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Ugh, stud plugs...

I've just had my horse's shoes drilled and taped but I can't get those rubber stud plugs out of the holes. The nail I use just shreds the plug, it gets stuck and I have to dig it out with pliers...frustrating. Is there an easier way to get the plugs out or something better to use in the holes besides the rubber plugs?
    Thanks

wads of Brasso

Honestly, I've never had consistent luck with any sort of plugs. The rubber ones get wedged in with dirt; the screw-in ones freeze up at the worst possible moments, and wads of cotton/brasso get stuck in there, muddy, and have to be dug out anyway. We end up leaving ours, and then clean them out every time - you get pretty good at doing it fast, and it seems to be the same process either way. Also, self-tapping studs are the Best Thing Ever in that regard.

Ask your farrier for a couple of work-horse sized nails. They are stronger and you can get a better grip on them.

Then you will still need a good T-tap, since no matter what plugs (or lack thereof) you use, there will be dirt in the hole.

I prefer the rubber plugs over everything else - when they do work they are the easiest for me to remove & clean.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Yeah, I pretty much gave up on the plugs altogether. It seems like you can either clean the dirt out, or you can struggle to pull the plug out, THEN clean the dirt out. I thought about getting the metal blanks and just putting them in the night before--but I'm afraid they'll get stuck at an event and I'll be SOL.

I use the easiest stud plug ever plugs http://www.equestriancollections.com...upcode=NF00059 and use a dental hook to get them out http://www.indigo.com/tools/gphtools/dental-picks.html. I haven't had any trouble. I do shoot a bit of show sheen in after I put the stud plug in. I think it makes it a bit slipperier so the dirt doesn't stick as much.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I've left the holes empty, and had no trouble cleaning and running the tap in and then the stud. I have used the rubber, found them easy to get out with a nail, but still had to clean the holes with a tap, like cotton batton soaked with baby oil, stays good easy to get out, the screw in blanks you need an allen wrench for, hard to get the dirt out of the hole to get the wrench in, I often just leave the small studs, ts 12's in, that's not too much for them to work in or lol around in, I don't have kickers, so leaving them in has been the easiest option for me.

Default use the Pop studs

I switched to them a few years ago, they just screw in and take the dirt out as they go in. I don't use plugs at all.
    Riot Farm

Another vote for the POP studs . . . saves tapping. However, I still plug with those rubber easy plugs in the pretty colors. Save an old pair of tweezers and grab the lip of the easy plug with the tweezer. It will come right out.

I use the rubber plugs and an awl. You can get an awl at a hardware store. It works like a big horse shoe nail with a handle. It is sharp enough to prick the rubber plug right out of the hole and the handle lets you get a little leverage on it.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by scubed View Post
    I use the easiest stud plug ever plugs http://www.equestriancollections.com...upcode=NF00059 and use a dental hook to get them out http://www.indigo.com/tools/gphtools/dental-picks.html. I haven't had any trouble. I do shoot a bit of show sheen in after I put the stud plug in. I think it makes it a bit slipperier so the dirt doesn't stick as much.
    Oooooh! Good stuff here, thanks Scubed!!! See you learn something new every day. Show sheen and dental hook. YES.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I don't have plugs in as a normal course, but I do use plugs if I'm at a show longer than one day and I need to use studs both days. I use the foam ones and jam them in with a nail (don't bother trying to screw them in, you'll never get them far enough.) Then I use the same nail to tug them out the next day, and they usually leave the hole clean enough that I don't need to tap again.

I stopped plugging mine and I use a phillips head screw driver and just twist it back and forth in the hole which pushes the dirt up and then use the tap to clean it the rest of the way. very fast and never have a problem with them.

I've used the oily cotton plug-its for about 25 years and never have a bit of trouble. When the stud hole is clean and tapped, I screw in a plug-it and poke it down in with a nail. Time to get it out to put in the studs, I hook it out with a horse shoe nail. No prob, Bob. I did get an extra large nail from my farrier. An awl is a good idea too. Less chance of losing in the shavings. A potentially worse injury if it gets stepped on, however.

If you are using the rubber plug with a hole in the middle, stick the point of the nail or awl in the edge, NOT the middle. When I stuck it in the hole in the middle of the plug it would rip the plug apart. Now I can reuse the plugs 4-5 times.

Quote Originally Posted by HillaryH View Post
    ...Save an old pair of tweezers and grab the lip of the easy plug with the tweezer...
    Not sure if tweezers would have enough "grab" for rubber plugs, but small needle-nose pliers have enough meat on them to dig into the rubber and grab, and enough leverage to pull regular plugs out no problem!
    ... It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that Shwung

i like the foam plugs fairly well, and they are easy to get out with a dental pick... however lately i have not been using plugs at all, rather i use a flathead screwdriver. It's fast, easy and doesn't seem to strip the grooves

Quote Originally Posted by JackW View Post
    If you are using the rubber plug with a hole in the middle, stick the point of the nail or awl in the edge, NOT the middle. When I stuck it in the hole in the middle of the plug it would rip the plug apart. Now I can reuse the plugs 4-5 times.
    This. I NEVER stick the nail into the middle, and I can reuse my plugs a bunch of times. Farrier puts them in when the horses get done and it is never hard to get them out at events. I just kind of "spear" it on the edge with the nail, and it comes right out.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

I use POP studs and love them. I only use the foam plugs and put them in the night before XC or before going to a XC schooling. Any longer and they are hard to get out but they really help studding up "in the field"

I hate cotton plugs, they take forever to dig out, longer than plain dirt. I hate those black rubber plugs, they either fall out or refuse to come out. Ive never used blanks.

But I LOVE the Nunn Finer coloured rubber plugs. Easy in, easy out, never had an issue.