The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How do I quote part of another post?

How do I quote just a part of another post, say , like one sentence out of a paragraph?

Quote it and then highlight and delete the parts you don't want
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    How do I quote just a part of another post
    I was wondering the same....so testing it out here....

How do I quote just a part of another post, say
    OK, trying it out on my own post

'K, I'm and idiot too, so I'm practicing here.

OK, trying it out on my own post
    Let's see what happens
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

[QUOTE=mvp;4561109]'K, I'm and idiot too, so I'm practicing here.

I'm practicing, too! If my computer were a horse, it would have bucked me off a long time ago!

mkevent, when you delete a portion of the quoted material, you just need to make sure that the opening and closing bits of code are maintained. That's the stuff in the brackets at the beginning and end of the quoted material. In your above attempt, you're missing the "[/quote]" from the end.

As an alternative, you can also cut and paste a portion of a previous post into your message. To set it off as a quote, highlight it all in your post composition box, then click the quote icon in the tool bar at the top (it looks like a cartoon quote "bubble"). This method won't automatically attribute the quote to the poster who said it though--you'll have to make a note of that yourself.

As an alternative, you can also cut and paste a portion of a previous post into your message. To set it off as a quote, highlight it all in your post composition box, then click the quote icon in the tool bar at the top (it looks like a cartoon quote "bubble"). This method won't automatically attribute the quote to the poster who said it though--you'll have to make a note of that yourself.

Practicing!

Quote Originally Posted by password View Post

Practicing!

How do you highlight it?

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator 1 View Post
    mkevent, when you delete a portion of the quoted material, you just need to make sure that the opening and closing bits of code are maintained. That's the stuff in the brackets at the beginning and end of the quoted material. In your above attempt, you're missing the "
    " from the end.

[/QUOTE]

Yes!!!

Practicing!
    practice round

Quote Originally Posted by danie53595 View Post
    Thanks for sharing this post. This is a very helpful and informative material.

I am practicing too!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaegermonster View Post
    Quote it and then highlight and delete the parts you don't want
    practice

As an alternative, you can also cut and paste a portion of a previous post into your message.

practice 2

Practicing!
    I do not see a toolbar at the top of the composition box, much less quote icons.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

Plumcreek, I just check your account settings, and you'd had no toolbar selected under your Message Editor Interface options. I changed it for you to the Advanced WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) mode, where the message will show up in your composition screen just as it'll appear in the forums (no coding).

For those who would like to check on or change this option for themselves:

Click "User CP" from the left side of the blue bar near the top of the page.

Click "Edit Options" from the toolbar on the left side of the screen.

Scroll down to the bottom of the list to Misc. options, under which is the Message Editor Interface drop-down menu.

You can pick the Basic editor, which has no toolbar; the Standard Editor, which will have a toolbar but will show the coding for bolded text, etc. in you message while you're composing it; or Advanced WYSIWYG, which will show you exactly how your message will appear in the forums while you're composing it.

Feel free to play around with it to see which one you like the best.

Hope this helps!
    Mod 1

Thank you, Mod 1!
    Yes, a toolbar appeared like magic.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

I'm on an iPhone & am technically challenged. Can't figure out how to do this at all.

On a smart phone, it might be easiest to stick to the first method discussed in this thread. You can quote an entire message you'd like to feature from another post by clicking the "feather" icon from the lower right corner of that post. When your message composition box appears, you can remove the extra part of the message you don't want to feature by deleting it like you would in any other situation where you're editing text.

Submit the message, and you should be all set. Feel free to test it out here!

Mod 1