The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dog found at farm in West Grove, PA UPDATE: OWNER FOUND! SEE POST #17

I hope the mods will let this stay up.

Someone dropped off German Shephard that they had found at Yarmouth Stables in West Grove, PA today.

He is light tan with a black face and black tip on his tail and looks young. He's pretty skinny so I'm not sure if he's been missing for a while or not. He is wearing a purple electric fence collar and a choke collar but has no tags. He's very sweet and friendly.

I just thought I'd post here to see if he belongs to anyone or if anyone knows his family. We've called some local rescues and are waiting to hear back and if he's not claimed in a day or so we'll take him to the vet to see if he's chipped.

Please PM me if you have any info or if this guy is yours.
    Last edited by `reppy; Dec. 7, 2009 at 08:27 PM.
    False face must hide what the false heart doth know.
    -- William Shakespeare

Do you have a pic? From your description he almost sounds like he could be a Malinois.

Don't have a picture, hoping to get one tomorrow, but it is possible he could be a malinois. He has a very long face and is medium size.
    -- William Shakespeare

I hope he ends up back where he belongs.

I will NEVER understand why people don't put a tag on the dog's collar, even if you think he won't escape. How hard is that, really?

I know MHM, I don't get it either. Like I said before he has an electric fence collar so its safe to assume he has a home... I too hope we find his family.
    -- William Shakespeare

Has he been scanned for a microchip?

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    I will NEVER understand why people don't put a tag on the dog's collar, even if you think he won't escape. How hard is that, really?
    Seriously. I know some obsessive folks who won't put tags on because they're afraid they'll get caught on something (so get an embroidered collar or a nameplate!!!) but that's probably not the case with these folks if he's wearing a choke as a regular collar.

or he had a tag and it got pulled off one something either before or after he left. I have replaced the tag on one of our dogs about 4 times and she doesn't have one on just now, just haven't got around to going to get one again. Good idea on the embroidered collar, I should do that.

bump
    -- William Shakespeare

IME, if a dog has a tag on his collar 51 weeks of the year, and loses the tag, he'll escape the next week. It's a dog law.

My dog has 3 tags on his collar, in case he loses one or even two tags. The jingling of the tags also makes it easier to keep track of him. He has a microchip as well, in case he manages to ditch his collar.

Hope the dog in the OP gets back to the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate66 View Post
    or he had a tag and it got pulled off one something either before or after he left. I have replaced the tag on one of our dogs about 4 times and she doesn't have one on just now, just haven't got around to going to get one again. Good idea on the embroidered collar, I should do that.
    kate, just get a brass bridle plate and rivet it on to your collar like you would on to a piece of tack. That is what my dogs have. Smartpak ships them out quickly!

I live close to you, my address is WG and I know a lot of people with German Shepherds. I'll pass this on to a few.

I'd bring him home if my husband wouldn't leave when I did. That would be the final straw for him.

Quote Originally Posted by `reppy View Post
    I hope the mods will let this stay up.

Someone dropped off German Shephard that they had found at Yarmouth Stables in West Grove, PA today.

He is light tan with a black face and black tip on his tail and looks young. He's pretty skinny so I'm not sure if he's been missing for a while or not. He is wearing a purple electric fence collar and a choke collar but has no tags. He's very sweet and friendly.

I just thought I'd post here to see if he belongs to anyone or if anyone knows his family. We've called some local rescues and are waiting to hear back and if he's not claimed in a day or so we'll take him to the vet to see if he's chipped.

Please PM me if you have any info or if this guy is yours.

Aww, poor pup! Why don't you post him over on the GSD Pedigree Database?

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/bulletins.htm

There's a General Topic and a German Shepherd side, but like with COH's Off Course, more people will see it if you start a thread on General Topic.

Susan P, that would be great! I called around to all the local vet clinics as well as the SPCA and no one has reported him missing... One clinic did tell me I could take apart his electric fence collar and then call the company with it's bar code and then the company could trace it. I'm hoping that will work. If not we'll try to take him to get scanned for a chip.
    -- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by `reppy View Post
    If not we'll try to take him to get scanned for a chip.
    That is the first thing you should do. Easy and if there is a chip it will answer all your questions. Then you do not have destroy an expensive collar.

I am guessing most vets would scan a stray for free for you.

Did you call the borough police? I have reunited several stray dogs in my town that way...owner calls in looking and they connect us. Did you post on facebook? I'm emotionally invested because WG is my hometown...and I noticed about a zillion people I know from back in the day are on facebook and still live in that area.

Thanks for everyones help, Jack was reunited with his owner tonight and was one very happy dog.

Just to note: if you find a dog with an electric collar on but no tag, you can take apart the collar and find the bar code. You can then call the company and they will look up the account.

So glad this turned out OK.
    -- William Shakespeare

Yay!

Glad to hear it.

Do you have to demolish the collar to get to the bar code or are you able to put it back together?

P.

Nope, you just take a small screw driver and unscrew the back piece.
    -- William Shakespeare