The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Gerd Heuschman Clinic Report/ Spinoff from the Interview

This review is from the OBB, hopefully posting this is okay as it is a very well written review, regardless of what you think of Heuschman :

http://www.ultimatedressage.com/foru...c.php?t=173852

It's not ok considering the viewpoints of TOBB as far as I'm concerned. The owner of TOBB only allows his own views and will ban all others. How can you expect any "REAL" debate to take place?
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Even though I am not a Henchman fan, I think it was an excellent clinic report jam packed with good information. Also, there was a link to other people's reports of the same clinic.

I have to wonder about the riders and horses that attend his clinics. It seems (according to reports I've read) that most every horse comes to the clinic with a host of issues that Gerd miraculously improves with one of his rides in 2point. Of course, we know all horses and riders have things to improve, but it sounds like his clinics fill with not-quite-sound horses or horses that are not very well trained or ridden.

I'd be interested in seeing some video of the clinic participates riding their own horses.

Quote Originally Posted by siegi b. View Post
    It's not ok considering the viewpoints of TOBB as far as I'm concerned. The owner of TOBB only allows his own views and will ban all others. How can you expect any "REAL" debate to take place?
    I'm not a member of TOBB, only read it occasionally and have no knowledge of the politics there. I enjoyed the clinic report and thought others might like to see it. That's all.

I've never been prevented from expressing my opinion on UDBB. Maybe there has been a problem with HOW an opinion was expressed rather than with the opinion itself.

ToN - I would be interested what you think if you heard Dr. H speak.

I was initially very "aganst" him - but once i listened to what he had to say and understood that he really does care - i was more open to his ideas.

and i can also understand if his clinics have riders that feel they need help.... i kinda think you need to get to a pretty desperate place before most folks will be open to change.....

anyway..... i will look forward to going to one of his clinics next time he is anywhere near by...

i think you should too i mean - what could it hurt? all info about how a horse functions is good - especially if it comes from a well educated vet ....

I think it's worthwhile for people to invest in a copy of the book Tug of War and watch the video "If Horses Could Speak" then they would understand.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Ilona - then people would understand how to make money by playing on other folks' heartstrings..... Heuschmann is an opportunist who saw a chance to make money when the first cries and doctored videos of RK appeared. Nothing more and nothing less.....
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

d doctored videos of RK appeared. .
    wait a minute..... which videos were/are doctored ? and in what way?

btw; do you know how much money he makes? as far as i know (having worked for several publishers) books ands DVDs are not money makers.... especially for the authors.

clinics might make some $$ but not much in the big scheme of things (especially since he is a vet and i am sure makes decent money that way?)

I think Dr. H. has an excellent message. The book and DVD are great ways to spread the message. He can only be in one place at a time. And to me, if he makes a ton of money on their sales, good for him!
    "Dreams are the touchstone of our characters." Henry David Thoreau
    Touchstone Farm
    www.bytouchstonefarm.com

He's coming here early next year for a clinic. For sure I will audit -- I'm thinking also of riding in it.

While I think no one person has the Holy Grail of Dressage, I'm interested in hearing more about his theories and techniques.

This is from Dr. Heuschmann's site:

"Understanding the theory of riding is an essential basic so you can choose the right methods during practice. A rider will need to continue to search for the best methods throughout their whole riding career because of the dimension and complexity of this subject. Therefore, we will never reach the point where we can say: "Now I know everything."

On my search looking for the truth I have met many people that share my experiences, opinions and ambitions, and I've met some that have completely different ideas. I would like to advise every horseman never to judge different philosophies before having tried them because we can learn a lot from each other. On the other hand: Never accept training methods, which are based on constraint and subordination of the horse by force!"

He's not advocating that his way is the 'best, only, right' way. His background in veterinary medicine, bio-mechanics, training, and teaching has given him the ability to translate this for the benefit of the horse----to assist the horse with a sound and happy life. To give the rider the tools and information to put to use, to that end.

Whether or not you privately or publicly agree with him, he raises valid questions and gives his answers based on his studies. I think it's quite counter-productive to dismiss - out of hand - any new ideas, just because training methods resulted in whatever your personal goals dictated, and you feel it unnecessary to continue any other methods of training or education.

It seems such a touchy subject when people with different ideas and methods become popular. Instead of reading, investigating and deciding for themselves, it is always yea, or nay, or resistance to opening their minds and thinking, many times reaching a conclusion based on the highest percentage of what most people or most of their friends decide.