The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Bitch had 10 pups, now what?

So our bitch gave birth to 10 healthy puppies on Monday. They were not expected, we noticed her belly getting bigger 2 weeks ago and it was pretty clear that she was pregnant from that point!

I found the little family on the hall carpet when I came back from work Monday. Everything looks fine, they're all gaining weight and we feed the mom rich puppy food to stay in shape.

My only concern is that tonight I noticed that she's having dark bloody vaginal discharges. Is this normal? It's the first time I have to care for puppies in a long time, and I can't remember if it happened to my older bitch too.

BTW, she's 2.5 y.o. and this is her first litter (and hopefully last one!!!) She's Husky x Bernese mt dog, and the male was propably one of our neighbor's Bernese, since all the puppies are entirely bernese "marked".

She's our beloved house dog, and I'm a worried mom

Thanks!

vet check.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Take her to the vet and invest in puppy formula. Now is a good time to get her spayed.

Vet check for her and the pups, then a spay! Puppies are an expensive ordeal....good luck finding homes for the little (soon to be huge) guys!

I concur with all the other posters, looks like you're in for an expensive ER vet visit and a spay really soon. The world doesn't need any more dogs, and I am continually suprised by folks with unaltered females who are amazed they get pregnant

Lecture not necessary. OP probably knows already.

With so many puppie she may get calcium deficient.

The bloody discharge is not normal, so hopefully you got her to the local vet and then get her spayed! If she was your beloved pet you would of already done so before she got out and got pregnant with an unexpected and large litter. Sorry but with all the abandoned and starving animals in shelters, all that is needed is yet ANOTHER unplanned litter.

A vet visit is in order. Probably not a good idea to spay mom until after puppies are weaned. And please do not let them go to their new homes until they are at least 8 weeks old as they get so much socialiazation and early learning experiences that are badly need to make them good pets. Good luck with finding them all new homes, and if possible, why not insist that the new owners meet you at the vet's office of their choice whereby you drop off the new baby to be spayed/neutered prior to it ever going to it's new home? Or even check to see if you have a low cost spay/neuter clinic in your area that might give potential owners a lower cost. That way, no more unwanted babies. Good luck, sorry this happened. Get her spayed after her puppies are gone asap!!
    Dawn

Please don't do like another poster and just wait and see. Get her seen by a vet. She (and you) don't need to deal with an infection!! I know it is a holiday weekend, but your dog's life and the puppies' lives may be at risk.

LOL indeed (quoting the 'I am continually surprised by folks with unaltered females who are amazed they get pregnant ').
    Last edited by sdlbredfan; Nov. 25, 2009 at 11:12 PM. Reason: clarity
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Default not so sure about that, dog 2 and a half years old

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Lecture not necessary. OP probably knows already.

With so many puppie she may get calcium deficient.
    Lady dog should have been spayed about 2 years ago, IMO.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Where are you located? I volunteer at our local animal shelter and came across a lady who was looking for a Bernese because her old Bernese just passed away.

No advice for puppies as I've never been in that position. Best to get mom to the vet to get checked out just in case. Of course I would hope she'd be spayed as soon as is appropriate for the situation.

I would worry about uterine infection or retained poc or puppy....ie...you will get an infection. What is her temp? If bleeding continues, I would get her to the vet as early as possible.

I don't know if I would take her to the vet tonight....if she is stable otherwise. THat is just me....

Quote Originally Posted by mustangtrailrider View Post
    I don't know if I would take her to the vet tonight....if she is stable otherwise. THat is just me....
    I'd bring the bitch in tonight to the vet. Yes, it's expensive, that's what you get for waiting to see. I've bottlefed ONE puppy that was 3 weeks old when mom had seizures and died (very possibly hypocalcemic).... I could not ever imagine bottlefeeding 10 from a few days old!!!!

First, if you owned the dog for the last two months, slap yourself for not getting her spayed and allowing an intact female to get in a position to be bred. If you took her in, in that condition, take a deep breath, and get her to the vet. Then SPAY her after the pups are weaned.

"Lecture not necessary. OP probably knows already."

Thank you very much for that!

Just to explain the context : The dog is my BF's, and he actually wanted her to have a litter before he would have her spayed. You might disagree, but it's his dog and his choice... My 3 farm dogs are all spayed/neutered.

We were not expecting this one since we thought she had not been in contact with a male during her last heat. My own pick for a male for her would have been a bernese, so I'm not that disapointed. Although I might be disapointed by the number of pups!

4 out of 10 pups already found homes, so placing them shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Bf is very good with puppy raising. His bitch is the most well behaved dog I've ever seen. Ever. And no, we're not planning on letting them go too soon, we know socialization is important.

Thank you very much to those who answered my question about vaginal discharge. As I said before, she started them only yesterday evening. I'll propably bring her to the vet asap to have her checked.

Would it be better to give her a calcium supplement, if this ever exists?

We actually thought of having the pups spayed/neuter before letting them go to their new homes, but we've been told you have to wait untill they're 6 m.o.?

Thanks

Post-whelping bleeding is normal in a bitch. It usually occurs a few days after whelping and isn't usually cause for concern so long as it is a brownish red colour and does not have an offensive odor. If she is sick you will know; she may become dehydrated, go off her food, vomit or seem very down. You should also notice a temperature change if she is unwell.

Many vets ask you not to take bitches and newborn puppies into the surgery due to the risk of them catching an infection, however many vets will come out and do a home check on the mother and pups. This could be an option for you if you are worried about her.

Quote Originally Posted by koolkas2 View Post
    The dog is my BF's, and he actually wanted her to have a litter before he would have her spayed. You might disagree, but it's his dog and his choice...
    He hasn't spoken with a vet about that choice, or read any studies about canine mammory cancer, or gone to a shelter where dogs dying ever day because there just isn't room, has he?

If my BF said this, I'd be afraid he'd want to use the same faulty logic on me!!!!!

4 out of 10 pups already found homes, so placing them shouldn't be that much of a problem.
    Hope they keep them. I helped adopt out 8 puppies 6 months ago, 2 already need to be rehomed, when they were no longer cute and cuddly.

I'll propably bring her to the vet asap to have her checked.
    Like she probably wasn't pregnant even being left unattended when in heat????

Would it be better to give her a calcium supplement, if this ever exists?
    A question for your vet.

We actually thought of having the pups spayed/neuter before letting them go to their new homes, but we've been told you have to wait untill they're 6 m.o.?
    The studies are showing no ill effects from an early spay/neuter. But again, a question for the vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverbarley View Post
    Post-whelping bleeding is normal in a bitch. It usually occurs a few days after whelping and isn't usually cause for concern so long as it is a brownish red colour and does not have an offensive odor. If she is sick you will know; she may become dehydrated, go off her food, vomit or seem very down. You should also notice a temperature change if she is unwell.

Many vets ask you not to take bitches and newborn puppies into the surgery due to the risk of them catching an infection, however many vets will come out and do a home check on the mother and pups. This could be an option for you if you are worried about her.

Very helpful post, thank you very much.

KoolKas - where are you located?