The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default round bale spin off

I have a really stupid question but on the topic of round bales - how do you know before purchase if the hay is good quality on the inside? Do you make the seller "unroll" one? do you just trust them?

Reason I ask is we have had difficulty getting non-dusty/moldy small bales. We now bale our own (for last 7 years) and it always seems the dairy/beef hay guys bale 1-2 days earlier/faster than us... and their small bales tend to be dusty...

We had a bad hay year here and are looking to purchase before winters end. Rounds seems like a good alternative to small squares.

I stick my arm in the middle clear up to my shoulder and pull a fistfull out to examine. I've been lucky in my hay suppliers, too; all will replace any bale I am unhappy with, no questions asked.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Trust, testing, and a calibrated nose.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by millerra View Post
    I have a really stupid question but on the topic of round bales - how do you know before purchase if the hay is good quality on the inside? Do you make the seller "unroll" one? do you just trust them?
    the outside of a bale will give you a very good indication of the quality inside..

we have more faith in 4x5 net wrapped bales than any other size wrapped in twine..

the reason being is that the other sizes are designed really for on farm use...not hauling up the road and the net wrap shows a farmer who wants to prevent leaf loss and shatter in travel as well as investing more in his equipment...AND he meant to sell them to someone not too close to his farm...it takes awful good round bales to make it in the resale market...

past those two indicators you look at plant maturity,stem size color,water spots,fiber feel and your nose...

and even then you could be wrong

best
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Yeah, I forgot to mention the net wrap. I wouldn't consider buying a round bale with strings so I had completely forgotten about strings.