The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rain Rot / Rain Scald

A delicate situation, I live in the boonies where many treat horses as "livestock". My neighbor, whom I don't know well (you have to drive to get to my neighbors, I live far out) was just given 3 horses.... perhaps dumped on him. He is kindhearted toward animals.

I went over to visit and noticed they have rain rot.

The guy has fed them well, they've gained weight (one was in foal who has since foaled, the other 2 are males who have been gelded). One I know for sure can be ridden...all very gentle.

But I don't think he knows a lot about horses, and he is getting on in years.

Mainly, I don't want to appear meddlesome, but I sure would like to do something for these horses, like "offer" to put in some elbow grease. I really don't know the man well, so I have to do this delicately and nicely.

So, now complicated would this be? I am not a horse owner, but have access to warm water and can certainly shampoo them with some fungicide type shampoo, then get the rot and any scabs off. And then get something to put on afterwards from vet. All 3 horses have it, as I understand it is contagious.

Is this do-able? Or is it something I should suggest he have the vet come out for?

I'm just worried they won't grow much winter coat under this rain scald, even though we live in a rather warm climate, it does get cold Dec/Jan/Feb

thanks.

That would be very kind of you to volunteer. I would wash them with an antiseptic soap and then use a rain rot topical after you get the scabs off (after soaking with the shampoo).

Other people will weigh in on what to use. I use Well Horse. It's expensive, but got rid of my horses rain rot that I had been battling for a month in two days.

If it is very extensive, you may want to call a vet to get their advice.

I just bouoght a product online called Equiderma (Telesis) to use on a rain rot issue -- used it twice on a dry, unclean mare and it cleared it up totally. Telesis has a website -- if you can't find it let me know. Great product.
    PennyG

I sprayed my mare with... Listerine. Cheap and cleared it up. In terms of cheap, easy and effective, its a winner.

thank you so much, everyone.

As for the Listerine, only time I've used it is small amount, mixed with water, in spray bottle, to lightly spray dogs when they get that doggy smell and want to cuddle up with me or friends in the living room. Groomer gave me that trick.

Just tell him you're a horsey girl (I assume) and would he mind if you came over to see them and fussed on them as you don't have any. If he's a nice guy he wouldn't mind at all and would probably like to have company and an ear to tell his tales to.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Quote Originally Posted by TKR View Post
    I just bouoght a product online called Equiderma (Telesis) to use on a rain rot issue -- used it twice on a dry, unclean mare and it cleared it up totally. Telesis has a website -- if you can't find it let me know. Great product.
    PennyG
    I second this one, this the fastest acting product I have ever used.

Here is the website:

http://equiderma.com/store/product_i...products_id=33
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Listerine mixed with Baby Oil-- half and half-- works wonders-- I also get the generic of each to save even more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascova View Post
    Listerine mixed with Baby Oil-- half and half-- works wonders-- I also get the generic of each to save even more money.
    This is what I always used, too, when I was volunteering at a local rescue (we saw a LOT of rain rot!) You can get generics at the dollar store. I've never had rain rot not clear up in a week or so with this mix.