The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default When to use the flash attachment.

Just looking for some of the reasons you would use a flash rather then a simple snaffle in young horse training?

thanks

If it's a horse, I'd use a flash.

slc2, can you elaborate on why?

At the risk of riling the Flashists?

I think it's handy, it's easy to remove if not needed, and does its job. Keeps the horse from offsetting (scissoring) its jaws, helps to stabilize the bit in the mouth; a lot of horses don't like the bit flopping around loose in the mouth, especially if the horse has a very short mouth, it helps with that. The horse can still open his mouth, react, problems are all still apparent, just stabilizes the bit, keeps the jaws from offsetting. Less trouble to clean and maintain than a dropped noseband and easier to fit, keeps the jaws looser and more mobile than a dropped noseband.

Quote Originally Posted by pippa553 View Post
    Just looking for some of the reasons you would use a flash rather then a simple snaffle in young horse training?

thanks
    would rather use an eggbutt snaffle bit and a normal caverson
    a young horse just starting out doesnt need a flash as it doesnt know anything yet

look here http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=223453

and look here
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=178116

read all page one and all links on page one

this one is on page one- read it it has all bridles and all nose bands
    and has diagrams of how they work
    http://www.sustainabledressage.com/t...le.php#kineton

make sure you read this one and understand it
    bad hands make bad horses -
    http://www.meredithmanor.com/feature...t_evasions.asp

goeslikestink - Thank you for the links! I answered my own question.

So everyone who uses a flash has bad hands? That's a lot of people.

The meredith manor site mentions the flash being useful for preventing the bit being pulled sideways through the horse's mouth. I never thought of that. I use a leather strap that western trainers often use to link the two rings of a snaffle bit for that purpose. Though I can't recall it ever coming into effect, even during a big unexpected maneuver or the rare "stop damn you" pulley-rein situation. Seems like a useful safety feature, though, just in case.

I'm with gls - my feeling is, if my horse is opening his mouth in the way that a flash would prevent it, I would want to know why and take steps to fix the problem.

We just have the little nub on the noseband, but the flash is useful as an extra hook type thing in the barn.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Weirdly, some horses just seem to go better with a flash. It gives them comfort and confidence. Of course, those same horses will not go at all well if the flash is a smidgen too tight. Yes, I have one of those horses.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

I've had a horse like that too. The trick is to tighten it just enough and not too much.

Quote Originally Posted by AllWeatherGal View Post
    Weirdly, some horses just seem to go better with a flash. It gives them comfort and confidence. Of course, those same horses will not go at all well if the flash is a smidgen too tight. Yes, I have one of those horses.
    awg - just curious - a TB? I know they tend to do weird things with their tongues - Ted likes to stick his out and have you play with it (the sicko), his buddy sucks on his after any treat. The geek in me immediately jumped to the correlation....
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

DG ... no, but she might as well be for her quirks ... we went thru quite a few "innovative" bits to address a very busy mouth until just winging it with a flash. But srsly, even the slightest too much makes her feel claustrophobic.

She is also happier if cross-ties are connected at the halter rings high on the cheek rather than at the noseband.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Default Schumacher

I audited a Conrad Schumacher clinic this fall and he uses a flash on all of the horses. The question was raised about flashes and while he said that a flash should not be too tight it should be used. I'm paraphrasing from memory here, but basically it ensures the horse gives through the back when it gives to the hands--otherwise the horse will do subtle evasions by opening the jaw and "giving" just in the mouth. He was very big on every movement, even the first step walking off from the halt that the horse be working through the back. I put the flash back on my bridle after not using it for years. I figure if it's not "tight" it's not hurting the horse and I'll bow to his knowledge/experience on this one.

I imagine he, the Olympic riders he's trained, and even the trainers and young riders (FEI level) I saw riding in that clinic have good hands (I assume someone is saying that flashes ruin horses, I haven't read any of the links in this thread though).

I wanted to add--I don't know that he starts horses in flashes--these were all a year or more under saddle (although there were inexperienced horses there).
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

thanks
    Crickets from me. I never use a flash
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I should clarify, I'm not advocating that "I" think it's an absolute necessity (I just added it for S&G's to see if it made a difference in anything). Just sharing what I heard up for discussion.

I do not think, however, it ruins horses.

I do feel very badly for the horses I see with their mouths CRANKED shut.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    Crickets from me. I never use a flash
    Would you like a trophy?

Flash? I have never used flash. Will I ever use a flash? Maybe.. if I have a horse that has alligator mouth and I cannot get him to get his mouth shut by being a better rider/trainer myself, and I have to find a quick way to get him to a show ring, then maybe I will try one. But hopefully by being diligent myself, I will never resort to that route. I want the horse to give me feed back when I ride and alligator mouth is a feedback that something is not quite right.

Many people use them just because everybody else seems to be using them and the catalogue is flooded with those sorts of things.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy.pony View Post
    Would you like a trophy?
    Sure! but in all honesty, I'd really prefer a latte
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

thanks
    IMHO, never. Well, almost never. If my horse is opening his mouth or avoiding the bit, I want to know why and address that rather than tying his mouth shut. Exception would be a horse that due to previous poor riding or training, developed the habit of gaping as an evasion and could not be convinced otherwise through a soft use of hand and bit. I take flashes off and cut off the loops.