The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Non Member Fee's and Medal Classes--Ingorant Question

Please excuse this seemingly ignorant question, but I have never shown in a medal before and had a question or two. All of the medal class specs say you must be a member of PCHA, CPHA, USEF, etc. Does paying the non-member fees for a particular show allow you to enter into a medal class? Or do you actually have to be a full-time member? Again, please don't laugh as I'm sure that this is second nature to most of you eq-riders
    "Life ain't always beautiful but it's a beautiful ride."
    Proud Member of the "OMFG I've been Banned" clique.

Short enough to ride ponies but old enough to be in law school. What a life.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

All of the medals in our area require you to be a member... the non-member fee won't get you there. However, there may be local medals in your area that don't require a USEF membership... the prize list usually states what the specific requirements are for each class.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

yep i believe you need to be a member

Default Some Medal Classes though...

I believe ONLY require you to be a member for points, which means the points you earn disappear if your not a member of that organization.
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

Thanks guys! That's pretty much what I figured. I've always wanted to ride in a medal and now that I have the opportunity I'm debating joining CPHA just so I can enter one or two of them next weekend. The application says that the membership fee is $50, which is the same as one class at the show so I think I'll just do that

Each organization requires you to be a member to compete in a medal class. Your trainer also needs to be a member.

Quote Originally Posted by PonyPenny View Post
    Each organization requires you to be a member to compete in a medal class. Your trainer also needs to be a member.
    Not for all organizations, so check the rules for the specific one you wish to join.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

CPHA Medal Rules, at least for 2009. Look like you need to be a member for all of them, tho I can remember not having to be a member for the 2'6" unless you wanted to do the finals.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    CPHA Medal Rules, at least for 2009. Look like you need to be a member for all of them, tho I can remember not having to be a member for the 2'6" unless you wanted to do the finals.
    The 2'6" one was one of the ones I was looking at doing, so I think I am going to call the show office and double check. I am most definitely NOT planning on participating in any finals, I just wanted to try a medal because at the current moment I will have a horse at the show who does them .

Thank you all for your advice, I appreciate your bearing with me with these seemingly silly questions.

I think you said you were showing at the LAEC. If not mistaken you will need to be a member for sure (even if not showing in medals.) Also, USEF most definitely.
    Become a Posse and help keep kids on horses and off the streets.
    http://www.comptonjrposse.org/

I think you said you were showing at the LAEC. If not mistaken you will need to be a member for sure. Also, USEF most definitely.
    Become a Posse and help keep kids on horses and off the streets.
    http://www.comptonjrposse.org/

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by Bearhunter View Post
    I think you said you were showing at the LAEC. If not mistaken you will need to be a member for sure. Also, USEF most definitely.
    No need to join except for (most?) medals. Cheaper to pay the non-member fee for everything at this point in the year since renewals are right around the corner. USEF will probably ding you for extra $$$ for the ammy card if not a member, but prob still cheaper than joining.
    The Evil Chem Prof