The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default diarrhea

Does anyone have any ideas on how to firm up our 12 year old grade gelding's manure? He is in good health, but his cowflops can be most inconvenient, and it gets tiresome cleaning up his behind. Sometimes his manure is normally formed, and we can't always figure out why he get runny, although it has been very rainy and wet here for months. The diarrhea can be stress-related sometimes--he squirts when he sees the horse trailer. He gets Fast Track supplement, grass hay, some pasture, and Purina Ultium mixed with Horse Chow 100.

i forgot if Fast Track is a pre or post-biotic; i know you can use both.

A friend's elderly gelding had diarrhea for years and it cleared up when they went off alfalfa and on to timothy. She had just attributed it to an aging gut, since he acted normally, so it was a pleasant surprise. Others seem to be allergic to soy.

jan

IF you suspect anaerobic bacteria, ask your vet about metronidazole.
    Hey I finally spelled it right............I think.
    It clears it up right away if it is anaerobic bacteria.

Been there, done that with a 27 yr old guy last winter.

I'd put him on Stomach Soother probably about August or Sept and initially it helped to firm up his very soft stool. But by about January I was happy to only see cow plops and not diarrhea, let alone trying to clean his butt and hocks and everything in between in 20 degree weather.

I did Fastrack and didn't see any improvement. I came here for help and someone suggested yogurt and someone else suggested Dia-Gel. It worked for me and, more importantly, for him. I also switched to Ration Plus instead of Fastrack late winter to early spring.

Actually, I first dosed him for 2 days with Dia-Gel(you can get it at Jeffer's) and then went to 6 generous scoops of plain yogurt and got him down to 2 generous scoops eventually. Thru this summer he was fine for a while but he's back on yogurt again - 3 scoops and working my way back to 2 again. Once I get him back to 2 scoops I'm going to try adding some Pro-Bios powder and seeing if I can keep his manure from going to diarrhea and hope to get him off yogurt and onto Pro-Bios, primarily to save a little money. If it doesn't work, I'll keep with the yogurt.

Good luck. It's no fun whatsoever.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Ulcers can sometimes cause dirreah....and worms can in younger horses!
    'Biosponge, a toxin absorber, can often stop it in youngsters..........worth asking about!
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Soaked beet pulp has worked the best and simplest for my mare with her feed related runs.
    For some reason she couldn't take 'blue' hays and since I had a ton or two of it to use up, the beet pulp worked fine. Now I buy a test bale when my hay farmer is out of hay.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Soaked beet pulp has worked the best and simplest for my mare with her feed related runs.
    For some reason she couldn't take 'blue' hays and since I had a ton or two of it to use up, the beet pulp worked fine. Now I buy a test bale when my hay farmer is out of hay.
    Please explain 'blue hay'. Thanks.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Have an older guy with (now NOT) with chronic diarrhea. Tried EVERYTHING and had him checked for ulcers, infection, ?. Nothing concrete (ha ha) to go on. So, after checking out everything I could about hind gut inflammation, here is my theory and my treatment. The reason the diarrhea occurs is because the hind gut is trying very hard to 'moisten' whatever comes through. Really dry foods, such as grain (not even taking the sugar content into account but the moisture content) and hay, 1st cut or 2nd cut, are all dry. With my older boy, the minute I started giving him REALLY wetted Hay Stretcher and Safe Starch chopped forage and a handful of soaked alfalfa pellets, (3 meals a day) his 'squirts' are no longer a problem. The wetter the food, the less the hind gut has to 'add' to the mix and lo and behold, happier hind end. It sounds contrary to say add more water to a problem where liquid seems to be the end product, but it's worth a try. Make every meal wet, wet the hay and see if your guy is better. That is, of course, after you've pulled blood and checked for any infections or illnesses that are causing the diarrhea.

Quote Originally Posted by My2cents View Post
    Have an older guy with (now NOT) with chronic diarrhea. Tried EVERYTHING and had him checked for ulcers, infection, ?. Nothing concrete (ha ha) to go on. So, after checking out everything I could about hind gut inflammation, here is my theory and my treatment. The reason the diarrhea occurs is because the hind gut is trying very hard to 'moisten' whatever comes through. Really dry foods, such as grain (not even taking the sugar content into account but the moisture content) and hay, 1st cut or 2nd cut, are all dry. With my older boy, the minute I started giving him REALLY wetted Hay Stretcher and Safe Starch chopped forage and a handful of soaked alfalfa pellets, (3 meals a day) his 'squirts' are no longer a problem. The wetter the food, the less the hind gut has to 'add' to the mix and lo and behold, happier hind end. It sounds contrary to say add more water to a problem where liquid seems to be the end product, but it's worth a try. Make every meal wet, wet the hay and see if your guy is better. That is, of course, after you've pulled blood and checked for any infections or illnesses that are causing the diarrhea.
    Boy, I sure wish this (wetting all food) would have worked for me. My old guy has RAO (heaves) and gets all hay soaked as well as soaked beet pulp and all grain (Safe Choice) is mixed with his bp as well as yogurt (wet) and corn oil and Ration Plus(liquid). His manure is still soft. So far minimal cow plop consistency except when he considers himself stressed, but winter hasn't hit yet either.

Vet's have seen this a lot with older horses in the winter. I just keep the Dia-Gel on hand and hope for the best.
    Sue