The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy Barbour ruined?? Please advise!

Just to preface, I'm sorry this is a bit long..I'm just don't know what to do and need some wisdom!

I’m looking for some advice as to what to do with my now-ruined Barbour Bedale. Just a bit of background- I received the coat as a Christmas present from my grandmother almost 4 years ago, and really have only worn it for 2 of those years, as I was living in a tropical climate for 2 of them and had no use for a barbour!

A few weeks ago I figured the coat might need to be re-waxed, since it was starting to smell a bit waxy/not quite right…not a horsey dirty smell, but more of an old wax smell. So I took it to Horse Country in Warrenton to get their advice. The owner was in the store along with one of her employees. They both told me to just stick the coat in the washing machine, cold water with no detergent, and then just rewax it myself (or bring it back in for them to ship out). The employee even said they wouldn’t take the coat to ship out to the barbour repair person (in Maine) until I had done this, because they’d just send it back. I asked multiple times about this machine washing technique, because I was dubious about the idea (and ruining the washing machine with the wax!), but since the owner of this amazing, reputable tack shop personally advised me to do so, and was almost emphatic about it, I went ahead with it.

When I pulled the coat out of the washer I was in shock/horror. Not only had the wax permeated the inside fabric and sleeves, the lining was ripped along where the tartain part meets the more durable material (much more fixable than wax-permeated fabric, however). The coat is no longer wearable due to the wax being on the inside now, as it would rub off onto any clothes or my skin while being worn. It has a slimy/coated feeling on the tartan and sleeves). It was a Sunday and Horse Country was closed, so I immediately emailed Barbour and they were shocked that I had received such poor advice, and said that it’s most likely beyond repair due to the wax now being on the inner fabric. Horse Country said that they’d only give me $50 towards a new (~$400) coat, since I didn’t buy it from them.

I was shocked at their response, because frankly their poor advice caused my coat to be ruined. I wish I had never stepped foot in Horse Country and had instead dealt directly with Barbour. But because it is such a well-known, quality tack shop (that carries TONS of Barbour!), and since the owner herself gave me this advice, I trusted them. I just feel so sad that my coat is ruined, and I can’t afford to replace it.

Do any of you have any advice as to how to proceed? Have any of you had this happen and have salvaged the coat? I am at a loss as to what to do and whenever I start thinking about the situation I get so upset and angry. Any advice is welcomed!

I'm sorry that this store gave you duff information.

I used to wear Barbours a lot years ago and I used to throw them in the washing machine with some waterproof liquid stuff, Nickwax or something. They always came out nice and clean but with the wax undamaged.

I'm really not sure there is anything you can do with your jacket now, except bin it and buy another ... but not from the store who gave you the duff advice!

That's awful. I have 2 barbours myself and would never dream of putting them in a machine, cold water or not. I just sponge them off before I re-wax them. It sounds like yours is dead beyond repair, especially with the tears.

I can't believe the dingbat gave you such horrible advice. I'd keep complaining to the owner of the store, and write a letter to Barbour informing them that their retail client has no idea how to handle their products.

ETA: I got my second barbour on Ebay for a VERY reasonable price. It was "used" but practically new and it cost something like $150.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Be careful buying Barbours on ebay though, they have some excellent knock-offs of both Barbour and North Face. Their North Face rip offs even have labels that look like NF labels on them. Not saying there aren't genuine ones out there, just saying be careful

I am sorry you went through that. I have a 25 year old Barbour up in my closet that is still in reasonable condition (rips look good - right?). I wouldn't put it in the washing machine, although have a feeling that at some time I was told I could. I think you may be out of luck other than complaining loudly and to lots of people. Maybe Barbour might offer you a discount?

There have been many cases where COTHers posted a thread like this, and after it got numerous replies showed it to the company it talked about. There has been some pretty drastic action taken to correct the problem in some places. It's unacceptable that they would tell you this, and even though they are not technically responsible, they should take responsibility. If not, I would advise showing them this thread if/ when it gets a high number of hits. I've been doubtful of this method for years, but it certainly has gotten some results. I would think this should be especially true for Northern Virginia: there are a lot of us from that area.

I'm from your area, and I'll never be going in there to ask advice.
    <><

erm..... You're not supposed to wash them!

It's going to be no comfort for you to know that if you treat them rough and right they last for decades!

You're supposed to just sponge them down when they really are totally disgusting and then just rewax them.

Best way to rewax is to stand the tin of wax in a bowl of boiling water and apply it liberally with a cloth and use a hairdryer to blow it into the jacket.

p.s. I live very close to the HQ for Barbour and I go shooting with the CEO.

What Thomas said.

Here's a FAQ from the Barbour site which tells you about how to machine wash and care for your Barbour. Don't think there is anything you can do about your Barbour OP, sorry.

http://www.barbour.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=faqs.list

I am wearing a disgusting Barbour right now. I broke up a dog-fight so there is blood on the one sleeve and something that I am hoping is gravy on the other as well as other unidentified spatters and splooges.

I am glad that you posted because I was getting close to just saying what the hell and washing it in my machine. I am sorry that you learned the lesson the hard way.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

My Barbour is so musty-smelling I hate to wear it in public. Any clues how to get rid of the stink?

And how do you tell "waxed" cotton from "oiled" cotton?
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Default QUOTE

Q. I've put my wax jacket into a washing machine to clean it and now all the wax has come off. What can I do?

A.Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done as the washing process strips all the wax finish from the cotton fabric. Any re-application of the wax coating will be totally absorbed by the cotton fabric and will soil the inner lining which, in turn, will soil any clothing worn underneath the jacket.

They only mention you can carefully wash "Breathable" garments NOT a Wax Coated Jacket.

BUT I would write a letter to both Barbour and directly to the person (by name) who told you to most certainly wash your jacket BEFORE sending it out for service.
    You were given advice by an "Expert" who sells the product for the company.
    Her "Expert" advice was not only erronius but cost you a in mint condition coat. While perhaps not replacing the full value they should give you a hefty sum towards a new coat. Barbour needs to know they have ignorant retailers to stupid to read the tags on their own products.

I would raise hell at Horse Country if I were you, have you talked to the owner directly?
    Mel

Deleted because I didn't read OP carefully enough.

Quote Originally Posted by hitchinmygetalong View Post
    My Barbour is so musty-smelling I hate to wear it in public. Any clues how to get rid of the stink?

And how do you tell "waxed" cotton from "oiled" cotton?
    Mine smelled so strongly that I hung it outside on the porch for an entire year! There was no way I was hanging it in the house! Mine wasn't musty...just very brand new waxy smell Now it looks (and smells) like a well-worn, much cared for Barbour. It's now able to hang in the coat closet with everything else.
    Cindy

FYI - www.sierratradingpost.com has quite a bit of Barbour stuff right now. Nicely discounted too:-)

Thank you all for your replies. Boy do I wish I had just sent it directly to Barbour for reproofing. But the Horse Country folks told me that sending it directly to Barbour would take forever, and if I sent it through them to their person (who required it be "cleaned" first) in Maine, I'd have it back in just a couple weeks...a bit ironic looking back now!

I am working on writing a letter to Marion/Horse Country. I really trusted her with the well-being of my coat, since I considered her and her employee "experts" in the field, and just feel so let down. If that doesn't work out I'll start perusing ebay for a used, less-expensive coat, but it certainly won't be able to replace the sentimental value my current one has.

Again, thanks everyone for your thoughts on the matter!

Take it to the 'experts' who gave you the bad info and GIVE it to them. Explain you followed their instructions..and now they can explain why your coat is in the shape its in.
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kristin View Post
    Thank you all for your replies. Boy do I wish I had just sent it directly to Barbour for reproofing. But the Horse Country folks told me that sending it directly to Barbour would take forever, and if I sent it through them to their person (who required it be "cleaned" first) in Maine, I'd have it back in just a couple weeks...a bit ironic looking back now!

I am working on writing a letter to Marion/Horse Country. I really trusted her with the well-being of my coat, since I considered her and her employee "experts" in the field, and just feel so let down. If that doesn't work out I'll start perusing ebay for a used, less-expensive coat, but it certainly won't be able to replace the sentimental value my current one has.

Again, thanks everyone for your thoughts on the matter!
    One thing to consider is, depending on what response you get from Horse Country, is really to write to the CEO of Barbour. It might sound a little over the top, but I have found, from past experience that you have nothing to lose from going to the top and potentially a lot to gain. If Thomas hangs out with the guy he can probably PM you his name and address. If not, I am sure you can find it online somewhere by googling or looking at the Board of Directors on their webpage. You never know, it might just get you a new Barbour without having to scour ebay for a used one. Worth the letter - the worst that can happen is no response.

^ It's not his responsibility.

The purchaser did precisely what you're told not to do by Barbour.

Stinky minging barbour jackets??? That's the way they're supposed to be. Helps you when you go shopping when it's busy. Everyone stands by to let you get past to the front of the check out queue

it's not the folks at Barbour's fault, don't take it to him. The accountability lies with Marion at Horse Country. If you can show that what she told you to do is exactly what the manufacturer said NOT to do, you might have a case if you can prove she said it to you. Bummer you didn't consult the Barbour site, but she did you wrong, and I hope she does the right thing by you. Good luck
    Ellipses users clique ...
    TGFPT,HYOOTGP