The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best corrective pad?

I had a saddle fitter out last week to evaluate my horse, and she told me that I actually have a saddle that fits him almost perfectly, but with a few small changes. It slides too far forward on him, so she suggested an anatomic girth to keep it in place better, which I just got in from SmartPak. Also, the back of the saddle tends to flap up a little bit as I ride--again, it isn't enough of an issue to change the saddle itself, but she suggested a pad with small shims in the back to keep that in place as well. I have a riser pad, but it's too thick to use and will pinch him in the front. I have a regular Circuit sheepskin half pad that my horse likes and would love to keep using something with sheepskin--also love the slightly higher withers, which fit my horse best.

She has a Nuumed corrective pad with wool shims that I could buy, or I know that Mattes has corrective pads. Mattes is pretty expensive, but I am lured in by the pretty colours I can do with the SmartPak customization. d; Can anyone give me any suggestions as far as other corrective pads I might not know about, or your favourite choices for corrective pads?

Love my Thinline, and shims can be added

I prefer the thinline correction pad to mattes.

But I'm a bit confused . . If you're saddle is coming up behind, then it is too wide in front and you need padding in front, not behind . . .

I have a NuuMed therapeutic half pad, it is not a correction pad, but I absolutely love it.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

I'm the SaddlePad Queen, Really.

I LOVE the Saddleright, it's the best pad ever. I've had one for 10 years, it's still going strong, and my horses all love it.

I've had a Skito/Toklat/Memory Foam and they compress under pressure a lot like gel does. If you're saddle is a good it, but a little big, and you live in a hot area, then the memory foam is great. It lets the back breathe, but it doesn't protect much.

Supracors rock. They wear out very quickly for the money, IMO and rub. I cut the binding off mine.

Thinlines are nice, but I didn't have one real long. My mare didn't like it for unknow reasons.

The Corrector by Len Brown. This pad ROCKS for a horse that his shoulder hits the tree. It is a great pad for many horses, my mare likes it, but my gelding didn't. His shoulder reach was too far and it went beyond the front of the pad. This pad isn't too expensive, but it does work for many endurance people. Len is a great source of info if you talk to him and remove all the marketing BS

Mattes pads rock for obvious reasons, their corrector pad is the BESTEST, but it's not big enough for my Reactor Panel Saddle, so I sold mine.

Solid Wool felt works quite well, too.

I loff pads.

Quote Originally Posted by StefffiC View Post
    I'm the SaddlePad Queen, Really.

I LOVE the Saddleright, it's the best pad ever. I've had one for 10 years, it's still going strong, and my horses all love it.

I've had a Skito/Toklat/Memory Foam and they compress under pressure a lot like gel does. If you're saddle is a good it, but a little big, and you live in a hot area, then the memory foam is great. It lets the back breathe, but it doesn't protect much.

Supracors rock. They wear out very quickly for the money, IMO and rub. I cut the binding off mine.

Thinlines are nice, but I didn't have one real long. My mare didn't like it for unknow reasons.

The Corrector by Len Brown. This pad ROCKS for a horse that his shoulder hits the tree. It is a great pad for many horses, my mare likes it, but my gelding didn't. His shoulder reach was too far and it went beyond the front of the pad. This pad isn't too expensive, but it does work for many endurance people. Len is a great source of info if you talk to him and remove all the marketing BS

Mattes pads rock for obvious reasons, their corrector pad is the BESTEST, but it's not big enough for my Reactor Panel Saddle, so I sold mine.

Solid Wool felt works quite well, too.

I loff pads.
    Which one did you get? He has several on his site ranging from 75.00 to 335.00. Curious because I have a croup high horse and her saddle always ends up touching her shoulders. Can you tell me more about it?

Thanks everybody!

Do any of them tend to run a little short, length-wise? My saddle is actually a 15.5" and I worry a little about being able to line up the shims correctly...

The saddle fits perfectly in the front, but with his balance point being farther back, the cantle just rides up a little as he moves.