The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
    Lucama, NC

Default Jumping again!

Well I can't say exactly I ride with a "disability". I do have 5 metal plates in my back from a fusion, but I have been suffering from an old injury, rearing it's ugly head earlier this year, a severly pulled groin muscle. I first did this about 18 years ago, and then reinjured it about 12 years ago. Then things seemed to be pretty good until early this past spring when I reinjured it yet again! I have been very careful all summer, riding some but not a tremendous lot to let it heal. I did jump one time late summer a little but today I finally jumped again. After about 6 fences could feel a slight pulling so I stopped at that point, but I THINK it is healed. Just hope it stays that way! It becomes harder and harder to get back into jumping now that I am over 50, so time off from it is not helpful!

Thumbs up Yay!!!

I'm so happy for you. I can't wait until I can pop over a little jump. You must be beyond excited.

Don't worry about not being disabled enough. You have metal parts in your body, so you qualify as NQR. Also, I think you will be a real inspiration to other riders like you have been to me. Keep posting with your progress

Keep up the good work!

Orlean, Va

Talking air time feels soo good!

hi Shawnee Acres,
    Congratulations on jumping! It sure is addictive, isn't it?

Got a question. I love to jump, too. you mentioned that something started to hurt. Was it the groin muscle or the back?

I have a number of back and SI ligaments issues, as well. I have found that for me, jumping uphill is easier than drops. I love stream crossings and ravines...

Gymnastics are a major blast. Lots of air time without as much shock on landing. Because the height is low, I can do it more often and it makes my horses better jumpers.

Lucama, NC

I could feel my groin beginning to "pull" a little after about 6 jumps so called it quits. Haven't jumped since Sunday as weatehr is awful but hopefully can get on a regular program again. Since I am a small time pro, it's hard to remain on the ground allowing things to heal!

San Francisco

I totally get the excitement. Due to a shattered ankle and a knee that I decided not to replace, I haven't jumped in several years.

but, there is a new boarder and he went up to the jumping field and set everything at about 18" and I went and jumped it all (uphill as the field is on a hillside).

so wonderful.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Northern California

Congrats on jumping again, that's WONDERFUL