The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best invisible/containment dog fence

I need something to keep my dogs from wandering out of the fence. I don't want any type of chain link type kennel or fence. I've used the collars and they worked Ok until they got chewed up.

What do you use to keep your dogs on your property? I've got 3 dogs, two young ones who love to run and play, so I am looking for something that covers a pretty large area.

I am about to search online at the invisible fencing options, but wanted to get some feedback here too.

We have 5 acres fenced with no climb, and have secured the PetSafe invisible fence to the no climb.
    At first we buried it but that's a pain because whenever there is a problem with it you have to dig.
    We set it so they can't get within 5' or so of the fence, and then buried the wire further in the property at the gates to keep them from getting too close to or running out of the gates. We have had it for the 6 years we have been here, and for the 5 years we were at our house in town.
    We have 10 dogs and are very happy with the system.
    The collars that come with it suck, so we got regular nylon collars with real buckles, and used a hole puncher to make holes for the receivers. The collars that come with the system are pretty flimsy, and when they wrestle and play if they bite the clasp it comes loose.

The only problems I have had with it really aren't the fault of the system. My neighbor lets his dog run up and down our fenceline, and if I let some of mine out before I put their collars on, they get right up to it and once or twice have broken the wire. But I just out, splice it in about 2 minutes and tada. Good as new.

We installed it ourselves, at our house in town it took half a day, for the farm since we fenced in the whole perimeter it took my husband and I a weekend. We secured it to the no climb with little zip ties and just went all the way around the farm.

All of that said, if you don't have a real fence as well I would not expect to be able to just let your dogs run at will and the invisible fence to keep them in.Without a real fence also they need to be supervised. If sufficiently motivated they will run through the invisible fence and take the hit (like for a cat or kids on bikes or whatever), but then won't be motivated enough to take the hit again to run back home.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

I bought PetSafe, but I *think* they have merged with Invisible Fence. I guess that goes to show how well the system works. I rarely need them. My kooky labbie only attempts to bust through when he goes without his collar for too long. It works very well for us--although I hate typing things like this because I KNOW it will jinx me!

Years ago, when we lived in town, we installed an invisible fence. I think, for the most part, they work. However, I did have a Corgi who figured out that one second of ZAP was well worth the freedom to run next door and eat cat food that had been left out on the porch.

He wouldn't cross over to get back in the yard and I'd have to go drag him over...little bugger.

How effective the invisible fence is has a lot to do with what breed of dogs you have and the drive they have once they "lock on to: something. Some breeds have a very strong sight or scent drive that they will "take the jolt" to follow the scent/sight. I have a good mix of breeds (chow-x. toy fox, sheltie and anatolian shep-x). I know that with 3 of them the invisible fence would work great but the sheltie, no way, no how. He has such a strong drive that once her zone's in on something he is going after it. He has taken a jolt from the horse charger and went right back to the barking/chasing posture. He can not get out of the fenced yard but was jumping so high on the fence that I hooked up a line on the inside to keep him down. I would never trust him to respect the invisible stuff.

My neighbors and I both have Dog Guard brand, it works really well. I've got a labrador and cardigan corgis, and they have pembroke corgis.

A neighbor has Invisible Fence and her black-lab like mutts are never in the fence.

I did have to clip the lab's neck where the prongs sit when he first came. I don't even think he noticed the zap until after that. Now, he uses the beep beep to know where the borders are.

A good fence serves two purposes: it keeps something in and it keeps everything else out. "Invisible" fences fail the second part of the test.

Spend some time looking around and you'll likely find something that is aesthetically pleasing and functional.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    A good fence serves two purposes: it keeps something in and it keeps everything else out. "Invisible" fences fail the second part of the test.

Spend some time looking around and you'll likely find something that is aesthetically pleasing and functional.

G.
    Ditto.

Invisible fences are just make believe fences for your dogs and they will break thru them if sufficiently motivated, sooner or later.
    Worse, everything else will not know there is supposed to be a fence there and come in to bother your dog.

You will have to live with some fencing that will keep your dogs in and others out, is part of owning a dog.
    Just like you would not have only one strand of hot wire for horse fence for stallions.

I recommend Invisible Fence. They matched the cost of a competing brand and have offered great customer service.

I LOVE Invisible Fence! http://www.caninefence.com/Default.aspx

We have the indoor and outdoor system installed. We did it ourselves. You can but the kit from them and it's very easy!
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu