The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favorite girth?

Back to tack basics. New saddle has fairly short billets. I had been using a fleece type girth with elastic on both sides. It was too short so I've been borrowing my barn owner's - similar but elastic on only one side. I am having such a hard time getting it tight. Problem is....when I tack up, I can only put the non-elastic side on the first hole - if I go higher, I cannot get the elastic side on at ALL. So I do that, but after warm up, in order to get the saddle tight enough, the elastic side has to be jammed all the way up to the highest hole. Which to me screams unbalanced, as right side is on hole one, and left is on hole 5+!

My old girth for my old dressage saddle was the Wintec neoprene - but it pinched and did not look comfy.

What is your favorite girth and why? Trainer doesn't much like the double elastic girths - feels they never truly tighten. Saddle is an older Stubben. I guess I could get a Neoprene type with a girth cover for comfort.

What's your favorite and why? Thx!

My favorite girths are both leather, an Edgewood and a Hadfields, elastic at both ends, I have no trouble getting it tight enough and I feel its more comfortable for the horse to have equal pressure on each side. I prefer leather over those cheap fuzzy things, IMO a good quality leather that is clean and well conditioned is just as comfortable if not more so. For a sensitive horse I add a girth sock to the leather girth.

I like my neoprene girth too but it can cause rubs on some horses.

I've heard from chiropractor to chiropractor to chiropractor (and many other types of body workers along the way) that the one-sided elastic girths can cause soreness on the side of the girth that doesn't have elastic. I saw a big difference when I was a kid with my old junior jumper who was clearly more comfortable in a double elastic girth. I've only ridden my horses in girths with elastic on both sides since then (so for the last 20-something years?). I think it makes a lot of sense to have the same tension and the same amount of "give" on either side of the horse's body.

I don't know that I would worry that the girth is on hole 1 on the right side and hole 5 (or whatever it's on) on the left side. As long as the girth is not an anatomical girth that, in and of itself, shouldn't create a big imbalance.

Having said that, I guess I would personally opt for a quality double elastic girth. I've certainly never had a problem getting my girths tight enough because of the elastic. If your saddle fits properly the girth shouldn't have to be "cranked down" anyways.

My personal favorites are the County Anatomical girths.....not necessarily because they're County (seems like there are lots of other anatomical models out there now), but just because those were the first anatomical girths I bought and they're excellent quality. But I've got a million other girths that I also like....the Le Tixerant, a bunch of random leather double-elastic girths, and then about a million of the fleecy nylon girths. The cheapo fleece nylon girths with elastic on both ends are my second favorite after my anatomical girths.

I like the Dover Circuit one. THe leather on the underside is very soft and pretty good quality, the overlay leather is nice as well. It compliments my Beval bridle and saddle nicely. It was mega-on sale for only $70 a while back, its just at $110 now, retails for $150.
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=608891901

ETA: It's double elastic, I hate girths with just elastic on one side. I fee like you get such a better fit with elastic on both sides.

Ditto on the double-elastic. My holes are uneven by 1 but my horse doesn't seem to mind. I think the elastic distributes the pressure a little bit better. Also, I've never had a problem getting my girth tight enough either. I find that it's the opposite, in that I have a harder time with single-ended elastic.

bdanger Guest

my horse is a major bloater, and we recently started using a new collegiate saddle with short billets, and could no longer use our double elastic pro-choice girth. I will put the non-elastic side of a girth on the first hole then attach the other side, walk around, then tighten the non-elastic side again. if you can get the elastic side up 5 holes, you should be able to get the non-elastic side up at least 1-2. that should help you even it out.

Best for the price in my opinion is the walsh girth, I paid like $46 for it is made out so really high quality leather. Beats out the more expensive ones.

But the nicest in my books would be childeric, hadfield or antares..

I really like the Professionals Choice girth. I have even shown in them at big venues like Devon and Harrisburg. They are great - easy to care for, the horses seem to not mind them, double elastic (which, imo, is important!) and you don't have to tighten them as much as others. Everything seems to be just fine in them.

Ditto the Professional Choice Girth. They hold up well and I also show in mine in inclement weather, leaving my leather ones lined in fleece in the tack room. And they are reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by bdanger View Post
    my horse is a major bloater, and we recently started using a new collegiate saddle with short billets, and could no longer use our double elastic pro-choice girth. I will put the non-elastic side of a girth on the first hole then attach the other side, walk around, then tighten the non-elastic side again. if you can get the elastic side up 5 holes, you should be able to get the non-elastic side up at least 1-2. that should help you even it out.
    I do this too - I use a fuzzy girth (the cheap ones), and the one I am using belongs to the farm I ride at - I just started leasing the horse and have to decide if I want to buy a 50 or a 52... anyway, the one I am using has elastic on one side, but I prefer the ones with elastic on both sides. What I do, is put the non-elastic side on the 1st hole, put the elastic side on 1st hole, then go back to non-elastic side and tighten that side. when I get into the ring, I'll tighten the elastic side. Works well for me. If I need to tighten once I am on, I have plenty of give on the elastic side.

Quote Originally Posted by starrysky View Post
    I do this too - I use a fuzzy girth (the cheap ones), and the one I am using belongs to the farm I ride at - I just started leasing the horse and have to decide if I want to buy a 50 or a 52... anyway, the one I am using has elastic on one side, but I prefer the ones with elastic on both sides. What I do, is put the non-elastic side on the 1st hole, put the elastic side on 1st hole, then go back to non-elastic side and tighten that side. when I get into the ring, I'll tighten the elastic side. Works well for me. If I need to tighten once I am on, I have plenty of give on the elastic side.
    I do the same thing, even with the girth that has elastic on both sides.
    a) it is way easier to get it buckled and tight
    b) horses are far less likely to object to it and I don't want mine turning girth sour.
    I have a 48" and 52" cheapo girths just in case his weight fluctuates but his fancy Dover Circuit is a 50"

For synthetic girths, I have two favorites. The pro choice and the Lettia cool max.
    As for leather girths, I love my Tad Coffin. It is the only all leather, non-sheepskin girth I can put on my horse without him getting any sort of girth rub.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I love my Lettia Clik girth. Have even shown in it.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Pro Choice double elastic or classic equine soft touch double elastic.

I had a few bad run-ins with Dora spooking and jumping sideways and my saddle slipping (with the girth super tight). I got a pro choice and haven't had a problem since! Plus it's easy to clean
    In loving memory of my precious Gwendolyn; you will always be with me, in my heart. I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by SkipChange View Post
    I do the same thing, even with the girth that has elastic on both sides.
    a) it is way easier to get it buckled and tight
    b) horses are far less likely to object to it and I don't want mine turning girth sour.
    I have a 48" and 52" cheapo girths just in case his weight fluctuates but his fancy Dover Circuit is a 50"
    Me, too.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but has anyone tried the smartpak hunter girth with elastic on both ends? I'm in the market, and this seems to be the only one that's reasonably priced and has what I want (rollers on buckles, elastic at both ends, leather).

Love my pro-choice girth- easy to clean and adjust, and my sensitive horse doesn't mind it. I've shown in it rather than my fancy expensive sheepskin girth with no problems.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

Professional's Choice for me too. I can tell it's more comfortable for my girthy horse. It does not have to be as tight as my leather one.

I like the double sided Pro Choice girths too. They stay pretty clean, don't slip and you don't have to choke the horse to death to obtain that.

I think Ovation has a knock off version for a bit cheaper that looks OK too but haven't used it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    I love my Lettia Clik girth. Have even shown in it.
    Hey, Peggy. I checked out this girth in my local tack shop today. I've been wanting one since I saw it advertised. But the buckles looked really big. Can you feel them under the saddle flap more than other buckles?

Thanks!
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~