The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking for Used Manure Spreader

I need to buy a manure spreader for my farm. I have a farm near Lexington, VA and need to buy one to handle 3-4 horses, but my stalls are big. Lexington is just off 81, about an hour from Charlottesville. I do not want to travel to the ends of the earth to do this. Need to buy by January.

Any recommendations on where to look? Should I buy new?

Thanks!

I'd try looking on Craigslist. Lots of farm equipment listed there.

I looked all over for a used one and every one I found was falling apart, so got a practically new one.

There are all kinds of prices for them and when you look at used ones, you will know why some are priced higher.

Tractor Supply here has the cheaper but still good enough if you don't have many horses, made with aluminum.
    One at the top of the line is Millcreek.
    They rate theirs by how many horse stalls you will be cleaning.
    Our local tack shop sells them and the one I bought was a demo, used only twice, practically new, but highly discounted:

http://www.millcreekspreaders.com/

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

If you get the 200 model Newer Spreader, that should be large enough for 3-4 horses, I have the 100 (smaller) model with 3 horses, and it works great!

http://www.newerspreader.com/details.htm

You might be hard pressed to find a used one, because once you have one, you never get rid of it!
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I know someone who bought a used Newer spreader for 50 bucks, can you imagine, what a deal!
    I don't think those come along too often. Right place, right time kind of thing.

I am in the process of ordering a new one through my John Deere dealer. All the used ones I found were "used up" and they are not that expensive to begin with. The dealer said the same thing- small manure spreaders, like small estate tractors, tend to get used very well by the original owners and there is often not much life left in them after that. We lived that with our first and second tractors. The first one was 30 years old and beyond our fixing capabilities after a couple of years. The second one was only a year old, but was used up already. Fortunately, we bought it from the dealer, who gave us full credit for the purchase agaisnt our new tractor, which is Peachy!
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Try this: http://www.golsn.com/

Put "manure" in the search engine and you'll get multiple responses.

Manure spreaders live a very hard life and finding a used one in good condition will be difficult (but not impossible).

Good luck in your search.

G.

Someone has a New Idea manure spreader for sale that is ground driven, manually operated. Any comments on something like this? I am trying to educate myself.

Actually, I have a Millcreek PTO driven that I've never used...it's just sitting with one flat tire and I haven't gotten around to putting it on Craigslist. PM if you like.

BTW, a ground driven New Idea is nice as well.

I've bought two old used New Idea ground driven spreaders. Really nice to be able to pull them with the truck, but they last about a year before they require major maintenance. Would work well for me (I'm a pretty good mechanic) but the girls have problems with them.

So we bought a new PTO driven one from John Deere, and as long as the tractor is available it's great. We've had maintenance problems (drive belt) with it as well, but probably from inappropriate use more than anything.

Old adage probably applies - used, less money and more effort. New, more money and less effort.

The trailer dealer right across from the VA horse center and next to Dover used to carry Pequea spreaders. They looked very nice. Don't know if they still sell them, but it might be a place to start to look. They are made in New Holland, PA.

I have looked at them - I think we are talking about the same thing - they are green. I will go and look at those again! I do need a small one - and that might do the trick.

Thanks for your help!

This question is probably crazy considering all the feedback regarding shortish, difficult lives of manure spreaders... Can you use a big manure spreader (one big enough to hold a week's worth of manure/straw/shavings) in the deep freeze of winter and expect it to cope with breaking up frozen bits and chunks?

No, I really think a small one is what I want - maybe the Newer Spreader is too small for me, but a big one is overkill. I have a six stall barn, so I won't have more horses than that ever! A smaller one will be easier to store.

Quote Originally Posted by monalisa View Post
    No, I really think a small one is what I want - maybe the Newer Spreader is too small for me, but a big one is overkill. I have a six stall barn, so I won't have more horses than that ever! A smaller one will be easier to store.
    What do you think about the newer model newer spreader? It's bigger than the older one. It holds 13 cubic feet whereas the older one was 8. I vaguely remember people on here talking about fitting 3 or so stalls in their small ones. That could be wrong I'm just going from memory. I totally understand the need for huge manure spreaders at big boarding barns, but no way would I want to deal with one by myself. I love that you can hook the newer spreader up to the lawnmower or golf cart. Looks really simple to maneuver.

It may be too small as I don't want to have to dump it every day. My stalls are pretty big. But it is still on my list. Would prefer to find a used one and it may be tough to find a used one of these.

I think I need one that is 25-30 bushels. That seems to be the ideal size for what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by monalisa View Post
    I
    Any recommendations on where to look? Should I buy new?

Thanks!
    www.fastline.com

best
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

I guess I got really lucky and found one that was only a year old and decent price.
    We oiled and tightened everything. The previous owner used to rinse it after every use. Not good for chains and gears!

It runs great, I pull it with a riding mower and can't imagine farm life without it.

It's used for the stalls, the run-in sheds, and when I want to pick out some of the smaller paddocks.
    It's great for spreading fertilizer - just layer a bag of fertilizer between each stall and spread both at the same time!

We have normally 3-4 horses at home, and have had a Feurst spreader for eleven years. The floor at the front of it finally gave out from being eaten through. We're going to sell it to a friend who'll put a new floor in it, but in the meantime we just bought a new Loyal spreader (they're in Wisconsin).

LOVE my spreader! Makes life so much easier! We have the 28 cu.ft. version (it says for 1-6 horses). You can generally get 5-6 full muck buckets worth of waste into it. With three horses, who are outside all day, in overnight, I usually have to dump it every other day or so.

In the winter I've found that if you leave a lot of wet shavings/poop in there for the day to freeze, you'll sometimes have a problem getting the chain to move because it's frozen to the bottom. But the beaters usually can get through it OK, although sometimes you have to watch out for large chunks that get thrown, sometimes towards your head. And be sure to drive INTO the wind, not with it!