The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default Sweet Briar College set to close its doors August 25th

Such a lovely school and they always had such nice horses. When I was on my colleges riding team we loved showing there, the horses were just so nice.

Such a shame and I wonder what will happen to the horses?

http://www.richmond.com/news/virgini...f08c50776.html
    "All life is precious"
    Sophie Scholl

I just heard this from my daughter, who went to Hollins. I have to say, it makes me sad....
    Y'all ain't right!

1 members found this post helpful.

I am surprised that they did not try going Co-ed. I know tradition at all but it would have seemed a better idea than just closing the doors. A friend of mine will be in the last graduating class this year.
    People often confuse ideology with knowledge and thoughtful reasoning.

Sad.

Going coed is actually an expensive proposition at the outset - getting the first few classes of males basically requires giving them all full scholarships, and you potentially lose a few paying female students who want the single sex part. There are also start-up costs - like facilities and staff for mens sports, It doesn't start to pay off monetarily until a few years down the road when you are established.

3 members found this post helpful.

So sad. VI closed not too long ago. Is this the beginning of the end for this type of school?

I didn't realize that VI and St Paul's had closed.

It is sad because there are young women who do very well in this type of college setting.

4 members found this post helpful.

This is really, really sad. There's a lot of upset people on how they handled this, from the fact they haven't disclosed financial issues and have been spending a lot of money on buildings very recently down to the short notice has put a lot of ladies in a horrible spot for continuing their education, not to mention those who just accepted. It looks like a lot of them learned via the Facebook post.

Sweet Briar Ladies, don't let them sweep what's really going on under the rug. Hold the Board of Directors accountable. And I have sneak feeling the alumnae who have made very weighted contributions over the years, especially the recent years, will get their questions answer.

I didn't go to SBC, as I was the big university type, but I have a lot of respect for history, heritage, and sisterhood of the Sweet Briar family.

2 members found this post helpful.

Mary Baldwin grad here. I was upset when MBC allowed men and day students. But the Hunt money (Texas oil) had dried up and the college had to do what it had to do. VA women's colleges took a hit when UVA and W&L and all went coed. Sad to see sour bush, uh Sweet Briar, go under.

This would be a good opportunity for people who want good riding horses to buy one or more of the sweet briar horses! (Bridgewater College bought the riding academy of Mrs. Theodora Spitzer where we all rode and took P.E. on horseback. (And sponsored our "Bit and Spur" riding club.)

Feel horrible for all the girls, especially those in their junior year- transferring anywhere for a senior year would be horribly difficult.

If they'd announced this in the fall the applicants and current students would've had a much better chance of transferring, but in March? That's going to be very, very difficult.

6 members found this post helpful.

It's going to be tough - for sure. It sounds like Hollins is preparing to welcome Sweet Briar students: https://www.hollins.edu/news/preside...briar-college/
    Y'all ain't right!

As a fellow women's college grad, this makes me very sad. Hope both students and horses find a soft place to land.

8 members found this post helpful.

I work for a college and a few years ago there was some statistic that within 5 years 1/3 of us colleges were predicted to close. Especially private schools. Its just too expensive.

our daughter went to Randolph-Macon Woman’s College which is nearby ... our grand daughters were going to attend Sweet Briar ....

An excellent education was given our daughter

I wonder what/how they are going to dispose of the $94 million endowment fund the school has in the bank

3 members found this post helpful.

I am a graduate of Sweet Briar College, class of 2004. We the alumnae, as well as the current students and faculty, were blindsided with this information today.

Not once were we told of any financial hardship to this extent. Sure, around 2008, the college announced some financial concerns, as did every other institution in the US. The college cut employee benefits, they went in to a hiring freeze, but then we were made to believe the worst was over. I was just at Sweet Briar not 10 months ago for my 10 year reunion, and they spoke of high endowments, new academic programs, new construction projects, and a bright future. A month ago, I was sent boxes of printed material for an upcoming college fair, with applications and promise of exciting things to come.

Sweet Briar is an extremely tightly knit and well connected community. If the college needed us, the alumnae would have risen to the occasion. Never in a million years would we have let it come to this. But there was no advanced notice, no plea for help, no discussion of other options such as co-ed- just a Facebook message and an email!

I speak for all of the alumnae when I say we are devastated and ANGRY! We do not trust the current interim president or the board. In my heart, I believe this story is far from over...

On that note, if anyone has any suggestion about how we the alumnae can take action against the current administration, I'm all ears...
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

18 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I started my college education at Sweet Briar and enjoyed two years there before transferring for reasons partially personal/familial and partially educational- I was a computer science double major and I was informed at the end of my first semester sophomore year that that major was being discontinued due to lack of interest ("but we still offer Java Programming!" said one sweet but clueless staff member.) I was at SBC last year to work the ingate for ANRC Nationals where I watched SBC riders finish well and Virginia Intermont students have a bittersweet finish. The campus still felt very much like home. I'm absolutely livid at the timing of this notice to students. There's no other way to say it- current students looking to transfer anywhere but the four schools with which SBC has secured "expedited transfer arrangements" are screwed. Incoming freshmen are screwed. You'd be hard pressed to find a school in the country whose admissions for fall 2015 aren't closed. The decision to close isn't made in a vacuum. If the writing was on the wall, students should have been notified long ago. In that respect, VIC seems to have handled their closure last year well.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

11 members found this post helpful.

They should have started this a couple years ago and said they would let the junior and seniors finish up (and let the new freshmen class get two years in) and not allow new students after that. This is a REALLY crappy way to let them go out. I hope the administration is ashamed of themselves. You don't look at your books one day and say "oh crap. We are broke and need to close ASAP" at such a large institution.

This is a REALLY shitty way to do this. Sorry I cannot believe for a second that no higher ups at the school didn't see this coming for at least a couple years before.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Texarkana View Post
    I am a graduate of Sweet Briar College, class of 2004. We the alumnae, as well as the current students and faculty, were blindsided with this information today.

Not once were we told of any financial hardship to this extent. Sure, around 2008, the college announced some financial concerns, as did every other institution in the US. The college cut employee benefits, they went in to a hiring freeze, but then we were made to believe the worst was over. I was just at Sweet Briar not 10 months ago for my 10 year reunion, and they spoke of high endowments, new academic programs, new construction projects, and a bright future. A month ago, I was sent boxes of printed material for an upcoming college fair, with applications and promise of exciting things to come.

Sweet Briar is an extremely tightly knit and well connected community. If the college needed us, the alumnae would have risen to the occasion. Never in a million years would we have let it come to this. But there was no advanced notice, no plea for help, no discussion of other options such as co-ed- just a Facebook message and an email!

I speak for all of the alumnae when I say we are devastated and ANGRY! We do not trust the current interim president or the board. In my heart, I believe this story is far from over...

On that note, if anyone has any suggestion about how we the alumnae can take action against the current administration, I'm all ears...
    Take a look at what Antioch College (Yellow Springs OH) alumni did to bring the school back to life. I think you might find a lot of parallels, even though the missions of the schools are probably different. Here's a sampling of articles:

http://ysnews.com/news/groups/antioch-college-alumni

It is true that demographics and finances are going to be very very hard on small liberal arts colleges in the next few years. Expect to see lots of competition between schools and some definitely going out of business.

I am also an alum. I am devastated by the news, and ANGRY as well. There is the beginnings of an organized effort to save the school. There are so many distinguished, accomplished, well-heeled alumni that will not go down without a fight.
    If it closes for good, many horses will need homes, I am sure. Many will go to their original donor or breeder, but I am sure the riding faculty are overwhelmed, along with an entire community that will lose jobs. The riding center is so amazing, and Mimi has worked so hard to recruit, it is a shame if that center becomes vacant and not used.

5 members found this post helpful.

Talk to one of the alums from Wilson College. We lost the co-ed battle though not for lack of trying to hold admin accountable... But the students and alums brought the college out from under in 1979 with legal action involvement. Look up Wilson College Women on FB or PM here. My heart brakes for all SBC grads and students. I treasure my women's college education.
    Becky
    Becky & Red
    In Loving Memory of Gabriel, 1998-2005 and Raalph, 1977-2013

I'm a Hollins alum and my heart is just absolutely breaking for them. So sad. My women's college experience changed my entire life and I'm sick for these girls that will miss out on that. I know that Hollins is preparing to take transfers and make the process as simple as possible, as is Mary Baldwin, and I truly hope these girls take advantage of that and transfer to another single-sex institution. The benefits of a women's college are numerous, and you don't realize the effect it can have on you until you are out of it. I was one that absolutely did not want to go to a women's college, and then just fell in love with Hollins. It was the best decision I have ever made.

Hollins is also taking over SBC's Study Abroad programs and will the repository for all of the school's records as well. I would not be surprised if they get involved with the riding program situation in some fashion if it comes to that. There is also discussion amongst the ladies on the Hollins page about how to potentionally have SBC's reunions at Hollins so alums can continue to get together at the very least.

It is my understanding that they felt the school was already too far in a hole that going co-ed would save it, especially with the significant rebranding that would have needed to occur (I don't know many males who would want to attend a school named Sweet Briar, mascot is the vixen and colors are pink and green). Regardless, this was handled so poorly and everyone was blindsided by it. I had heard they were having financial issues from an "insider" in the fall, but they had assumed they would need to go co-ed and try to stay alive.