The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Suspect sticky fingers. Do I tell client?

Farm sitter here. Stay maybe once a weekend each month for relatively new clients. They have other per diem employees come on the property as most farm owners do.

Some supplements have seemingly half disappeared overnight, between Hester dAys breakfast and today's. At least I think theyve disappeared. I'm about 90% sure the tub was significantly heavier yesterday.

Clients come home today. Do I say something? I don't want clients thinking I took this, for obvious reasons. WWYD ?

You can mention the tub sure seems lighter, without offering how that may have happened.

That covers you taking anything and gives them a head's up if they want to consider it and do something about it.

10 members found this post helpful.

Definitely mention it.
    How can there be so many currents in such a little puddle?
    National Velvet

11 members found this post helpful.

If I wasn't 100% positively sure I don't think I would say anything. If you are not exactly sure of the amount of supplement that was in the bucket from one day to the next then no, I wouldn't make accusations with out being sure of what I was accusing someone of.

I have picked up things in the barn and would have sworn one bucket was heavier than another even though they both had the exact same measured amount of feed in the exact same bucket. Same with supplement buckets. I think it depends on how you picked it up, maybe you used one arm v/s the other or how your arm was positioned?

Next time your are farm sitting, take a marker pen and make a tiny mark at the level of the supplement inside the bucket or weigh it to see if there is any noticeable change in the amount.
    "My treasures do not chink or gleam, they glitter in the sun and neigh at night."
    ~Gypsy saying

3 members found this post helpful.

This isn't a " move with my arm" tub. It's a "hmmmmmm. Don't recall having to scrape the bottom to make a full scoop" type tub. Only4" deep and half missing, I'm nearly positive.

If I don't say something I may not get a "next time". Meh. May not get a next time anyway.

Still taking opinions.

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes, tell that you are concerned about ____. Allow them to keep an eye ~ they should be appreciative of your monitoring and your calling immediate attention to a possible problem.

Not to worry ~ you will be hired again ~

I would love to hire you to farm sit !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sansena View Post
    This isn't a " move with my arm" tub. It's a "hmmmmmm. Don't recall having to scrape the bottom to make a full scoop" type tub. Only4" deep and half missing, I'm nearly positive.

If I don't say something I may not get a "next time". Meh. May not get a next time anyway.

Still taking opinions.
    ................ I'm about 90% sure the tub was significantly heavier yesterday.
    Hence my suggestion. I based it on you saying something about the weight, not volume.
    "My treasures do not chink or gleam, they glitter in the sun and neigh at night."
    ~Gypsy saying

1 members found this post helpful.

I farm sit. I'd definitely mention it and say no more about a sticky fingers hypothesis. I think my clients appreciate my complete and candid communication with them about what is going on at home. In fact, I think I have been hired back in part because I made my clients feel that they had complete information and, potentially, control while they were away. Because I told them about details that might concern them, they had the chance to tell me to do something about it. I have taken care of extra problems from small to, "Holy crap, the water heater sprung a leak! I turned it off. I can have a plumber out tomorrow or wait until you return"..... and orchestrating the installation of a new water heater that they picked out from afar.

That's part of what they are paying for: Someone who has the same attention to detail that they would have had they been there. But! It's not your place to sort out any "sticky fingers" problem they are having with their employees. And throw no one under the bus. Again, that's beyond the scope of your responsibility.

I hope everything else goes smoothly.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

10 members found this post helpful.

For this reason, I'd tell them.

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    If I wasn't 100% positively sure I don't think I would say anything. If you are not exactly sure of the amount of supplement that was in the bucket from one day to the next then no, I wouldn't make accusations with out being sure of what I was accusing someone of.
    I think you can and should mention that it didn't see like what you expected without making a single accusation. How you described the "scooping" difference, IMO, is just fine.

If there are sticky fingers or someone is just flat out overfeeding, the clients can decide what they want to do. For all you know, this is an on-going issue they are aware of.
    Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.

Anatole France

I wouldn't mention a single incident - especially the sort where it's easy to be mistaken. A brand new farm sitter reporting vague, possibly imaginary crimes might easily come off as creepy rather than "honest".

Of course, being vigilant is something else, and if it recurred in some more concrete form I'd report it immediately.

Still taking opinions.
    Do you think someone is trying to set you up not to have a next time by "lightening" the bucket, so you get blamed and not asked back?

4 members found this post helpful.

Re-read mvp's very good reply. I'd re-hire - and recommend - a farm sitter with that level of attention to detail.
    No matter where you go, there you are

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Re-read mvp's very good reply. I'd re-hire - and recommend - a farm sitter with that level of attention to detail.
    Ditto here......

Just state your observations and say you "think" the tub seemed to be more "full" and you were not sure if someone else had instructions to feed...etc.

Just present it as you're ASKING....(not telling).....if there is something you should be aware of. Owners can decide how to react/follow-up. Definitely someone who pays attention to detail is an asset on a farm.
    Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
    Alfred A. Montapert

9 members found this post helpful.

State the facts. "Yesterday, when I went to feed supplements, the tub was much emptier than the day before; at least half was gone. I thought you should know, since I found it strange."

Let them do the suppositions on how it occurred. Anyway, I would assume they would notice that much more is gone than you should have fed during the time they were away.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pluvinel View Post
    Ditto here......

Just state your observations and say you "think" the tub seemed to be more "full" and you were not sure if someone else had instructions to feed...etc.

Just present it as you're ASKING....(not telling).....if there is something you should be aware of. Owners can decide how to react/follow-up. Definitely someone who pays attention to detail is an asset on a farm.

This. Definately. Without speculating as to cause.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

1 members found this post helpful.

Write them a "summary " email, listing many small observations that they may find helpful. Slip in the feed thing with other items on the list. That way they are informed and cane come to their own conclusions, and you are not being accusational. Something along the lines of:
    "Pony got his fly mask off four times in one day.

Supplement number two seemed to go down in quantity faster than I was feeding it.

There is a loose board in paddock fence nearest manure pile"

It's just an observation...it's possible, after all, that there is a pre existing agreement that may be in place with one of the other employees.

arlosmine, it's a good idea, but with my twisted sense of humor I came up with this scenario:

-- pony lost fly mask
    -- hose in the rear has a leak
    -- horse trailer stolen
    -- cross tie has loose ring

just slipping it in and they have to read it twice...say what?!

9 members found this post helpful.

I agree this puts your prospects with this client at risk, and more importantly reputation with other clients. It could really damage your businses if they talk to other horse owners saying, "you know, we really liked her but we think she swiped some supplements from us. I'd be careful if you hire her!"

I like the angle of concern that someone else had been assigned to feed supps. That way all they hear from you is concern for the horse and that you were following instructions closely. "hey, i wanted to check if I mistook the instructions on the supplements. Between Wed and Thursday, I noticed the tub was much lighter--I could be mistaken of course, but it made me worry that someone else was also feeding the supplements. That's the only day I noticed this, so I don't think any harm was done if they did get double-dosed. Just wanted to let you know."

8 members found this post helpful.

I would mention it without supposition. "I noticed that the bucket of X seemed to run out faster than I would have expected it to. Just thought you might want to know."

Who knows, maybe they've already noticed some sticky fingers and this information could help them narrow down the suspects.