The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking Is My Horse Feral?

I sell about 10 horses each year; some from my breeding program and some consignments. I have my share of interesting buyers and opinions. I am fine if you don't want to buy the horse. The fit has to be good.

I had a mature rider look at a 15 year old mare for trail riding. She has had extensive driving training, but currently is doing up-down lessons on weekend. She's a pretty typical Fjord; amiable, quiet, and willing. The prospective buyer presented as a reasonable horse woman on the phone. She was rather picky when she came out, but I understand that the horse may not be the right fit for her.

After seeing the horse, she contacts the owner (I had agreed that she could ask the owner questions about the horse's training and background.) The buyer said the following in an email: "She is a very sweet girl, but is essentially going back to being a feral horse with little handling these days, it seems." Dang. don't tell that to the beginner lesson students who ride her each week! "The best way I can describe it might be ....to quote a friend of mine.....keeping a horse in proper training is like pouring water in a bucket with a hole in the bottom. You need to keep pouring more in the top faster than it leaks out of the bottom." I guess my pasture is flooded from all the training that has leaked out of her. She seems to drive well, frames up when ridden, does what she is asked. It is true that we don't have to work with her daily to maintain what she knows. But obviously she is going feral!

The owner, who does not have my sense of humor about such things, said that she would never sell her horse to this buyer. My trainer and I have laughed a great deal about our feral Fjords. The joy of horses sales -- it can be so entertaining at times.

So should I change my tag line to: Where Feral Norwegian Fjords Rule?
    Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

24 members found this post helpful.

I wonder what she would say if she saw a real feral horse.

I'm still doing my imitation of a guppy - some people.
    "Cats aren't clean; they're covered with cat spit."
    - John S Nichols (1745-1846,writer/printer)

There's no reasoning with crazy people.

3 members found this post helpful.

Trying for a big discount on the horse? If prospective buyer was, they really goofed didn't they?
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

She's a Fjord, she can't be feral.

She'd be fjeral.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

75 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post

She'd be fjeral.
    Does she has the BLM brand?
    That is how you can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by IronwoodFarm View Post
    So should I change my tag line to: Where Feral Norwegian Fjords Rule?
    Definitely. I'd imagine that the rare Fjeral Fjord would command a greater price tag than a regular old domestic one.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Does she has the BLM brand?
    That is how you can tell.

1 members found this post helpful.

Awwe, I want a fjord. Is Virginia far from Canada??
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

My mini was described as feral by his rescue group. Here's why: he lived in a herd for 9 years, ungelded and never handled by humans. When I got him, his chest was cross-hatched with fence-busting scabs, and he jumped over his dutch door to get out/in his stall twice before I wised up. He didn't mind being haltered but his idea of leading was to drag adult humans around to wherever he wanted to be, by his tiny head. He shoves people out of his way like a linebacker if you're between him and his hay/water/open stall door. He lovingly chomped me on the ass last week in return for the nice scratches I was giving him. That's feral -- a wild man who loves people but has no manners whatsoever. I love training him, and he loves learning, and some day he'll be . . . mannered.

That woman doesn't deserve an actual, living horse if she's so unforgiving.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post

She'd be fjeral.

Fjeral Fjords Forjever!
    Americans are like snowflakes. No two are alike.

13 members found this post helpful.

MistyBlue. You are Fjantastic!

Saultgirl, if you would like a daily Fjord fix, come like my horse's FB page.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

We bought a "feral" pony at an auction about 3 months ago. She was skin and bones (too thin to even saddle up), so she was lead through the sale at a walk. Of course, this is usually a death sentence, but she was so skinny, the kill buyers didn't even want her. So I picked up the pony for $50 and we called her Feral Pony. That was her name. She gained weight, we clipped her and pulled her mane, and low and behold - she rides! Beautifully!! With less than 2 weeks under saddle, we showed her in a cross rail division and she WON the first trip over fences with 7 entries. Now, about a month later, she is jumping around 2'3" and doing her lead changes. We LOVE our Feral Pony and named her Take Two - since she got a second chance at life.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TinkerCanterLeft.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	41060   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TinkerTrotRight.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	41061   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TinkerJumpRightCrossRail.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	41062  

20 members found this post helpful.

She's a cutie.

We have a feral rooster on our property. He has breakfast with the barn cats. Really. They all seem to get along just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by LockeMeadows View Post
    We bought a "feral" pony at an auction about 3 months ago. She was skin and bones (too thin to even saddle up), so she was lead through the sale at a walk. Of course, this is usually a death sentence, but she was so skinny, the kill buyers didn't even want her. So I picked up the pony for $50 and we called her Feral Pony. That was her name. She gained weight, we clipped her and pulled her mane, and low and behold - she rides! Beautifully!! With less than 2 weeks under saddle, we showed her in a cross rail division and she WON the first trip over fences with 7 entries. Now, about a month later, she is jumping around 2'3" and doing her lead changes. We LOVE our Feral Pony and named her Take Two - since she got a second chance at life.
    Wonderful story.

2 members found this post helpful.

Warning- language. But this thread immediately made me think of this.
    http://s137.photobucket.com/user/hor...v8wbg.jpg.html
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

4 members found this post helpful.

I am glad the seller had enough of a sense of humor to not think you had done something to their horse.

Fjeral Fjords might be even better than the Majickal butterfly-fahting Gypsy Vanners.

5 members found this post helpful.

Thanks everyone for the great marketing advice. I have adjusted my signature to indicate that I do indeed have those fjabulous fjeral Fjords because they all are basically the same and they leak training like sieves, too.

And of yes, this buyer also told owner the horse had a dent in her head, splints and an enlarged hock. The owner, who knows me enough to have sent 7 consignments to me, sent me a WTF email because she didn't recognize the horse. I didn't either. The owner commented that this is why she doesn't want to sell horses; the fruitbat buyers are too much.

Best wishes to everyone for a wonderful Independence Day weekend. I will be working with my fjeral Fjords in preparation for the Norwegian Fjord Horse Registry evaluation on July 24 - 26, 2015 at Frying Pan Park, Herndon, VA. I intend to enter all the fjeral performance tests!
    Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

5 members found this post helpful.

Question: If a Fjeral Fjord leaks its training out all over the ground, can the next horse come in on that ground and pick it up? It the leaked training sticky?

That would be a great training plan. Turn out a well trained, but fully retired horse in the arena or round pen to leak, then ride your greenie to pick up the loose training. Would he need to be barefoot? Would it work better if you turn him loose to roll in the training? Hmm...
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

16 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GypsyQ View Post
    Question: If a Fjeral Fjord leaks its training out all over the ground, can the next horse come in on that ground and pick it up? It the leaked training sticky?

Omg, YES!