The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Helmet for extremely oval shaped head. :(

I need a new helmet. My very old troxel school helmet the brim is broken and I aught to just replace it. My head size is exactly 23 inches. However Ovation protege in a lg/xlg fits snugly at front and back but I can fit a finger up each side. No front and back movement but flops ridiculously side to side. I just need something simple that fits and is not several hundred dollars. As I need to keep myself and both the kids in helmets. Any better brand ideas? I have googled that the Tipperary Sportage is oval, but I apparently need really oval.

Tipp Sportage did not work for me. I would like the chance to try an International Long Oval sometime, but haven't so far. Only thing that fits this oval noggin is Charles Owen, and they aren't inexpensive. Will watch this thread with interest!
    Sometimes I counter defrost!

1 members found this post helpful.

I am long oval too. One K helmets all the way for me. Prior to that, Internationals, and a GPA Speed Air that I loved too.
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

Default You need a Charles Owen

Go to someone that has the oval models and have them fit you. Buy the one that fits. I had cranial surgery as an infant and have a rather alien shaped head, it is truly flat on the sides, very narrow and a true oval. The only helmet I ever had that fit me really well was my custom made Patey, which, after spending $$$$ H/J world promptly passed an "approved helmets only rule".. sigh. I spent the entire day at Rolex trying on helmets. CO far an away had the most choices that fit. Not cheap but, what is your brain (and confort) worth?

2 members found this post helpful.

CO fit my oval nugget the best as well.

CO is largely considered the go-to for us ovals while I've heard that Samshield is good for ye roundheads.
    Check out my new novel--EVENTING fiction:
    Fortune's Fool

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a jockey CO. I think the jockey caps are better made and come in more sizes.

One K has an oval head model..fits me great, very comfy and lightweight

Have you tried Tipperary ones?

I ordered a Tipperary and it was too oval for my round head, even with the shims to add to a good fit, so I know they run oval.

I wear a Tipperary for my oval head, never have been able to wear Troxel.

CO does make a few less-expensive helmets, the Jr8 and the "Rider" models. They both have nylon harnesses and run well under $200.

Some the IRH models come in a long oval, too. They are pretty reasonable in price, I believe.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

I have an oval head, wear large sized hats, and I'm 7 1/4/59cm.
    I really like my CO Ayr8. It fits great and relatively speaking it is lower profile than others on my head.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not what a ship is for."

OneK:

Long oval here. Never have had a CO able to fit properly.
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

I have the opposite problem, my head is shaped like a basket ball. However, I know from trying to jam my head in enough of them that IRH and CO are very oval shaped. I belive IRH even comes in a long oval.

Charles Owen is the only maker that makes a Snell certified helmet....the 4Star fits oval heads.

For anyone that drives race cars or motorcycles, knows that the Snell certification is required for anyone on a motor track.

http://www.charlesowen.com/us/products/4star
    Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
    Alfred A. Montapert

IRH for my big, fat oval shaped head.
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Facta non verba

I have an oval head. In the old pre ATSM days where only friction kept a helmet on I usually sported a dent tin my forehead. IRH works great for me and has a wide variety of models and fits my pocket book better than a CO.
    "I am sorry, I lead a bit of a complex life, things don't always happen in the right order" The Doctor

Long oval here - I actually am comfortable in the regular One K - they had not started making long ovals when I bought mine several years ago. I will replace it with a long oval when I need a new helmet. I love, love, love how I have two liners for it, so can take one home or back to the hotel and wash it during a show.

I won't do a $600 helmet - but when I am complaining about the cost of helmets - people rightly remind me that a helmet is not the place to scrimp. You want it to be comfortable enough that you don't find yourself coming up with reasons not to wear it - so find what is the most comfortable and wear it.

Ditto on the CO (I wore the GR8) and OneK (my current helmet) for oval heads. I tried on someone's long oval IRH and it seemed okay, although not nearly as comfortable (on me) as the CO/OneK, but a lower price point so that might be a possibility.

I also had a tough time convincing myself to shell out for a $250ish helmet at first - not so much for the initial expense, but because of the possible replacement expense if I actually had a fall. I kept saying that $250 spread out over a few years is one thing, but if I had to buy one more often than that, kinda high.

My husband looked at it a different way in that, if I fell and needed a new (expensive) replacement helmet, then the original one would have done its job and was a worthwhile investment. He was right, of course, and I no longer worry about it.

A helmet is the most important riding apparel purchase and I now look at the expense differently. For instance, the one I wear is about the same cost as one pair of high-end breeches, two pairs of moderately-priced breeches, or three less expensive pairs. I can wear my old breeches over and over for years, I can mend them if needed (and I have) to get more wear out of them to save some $, but I only have the one brain and it's irreplaceable.

Ovation Protege is the one that looks like the Tipp Sportage, isn't it? If so, they both seem very round to me. I have the Ovation version and it's way too wide on the sides. I've tried on the Sportage and it's the same.

I have 2 IRH long oval helmets that fit well, and an older CO showjumper helmet that fits (it only comes out for shows, so I don't care if it's 10 years old. It lives in the house the rest of the time.)
    That's fine, many of us have slid down this slippery slope and became very happy (and broke) doing it. We may not have a retirement, but we have memories ...