The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Equestrian Canada moving to digital passports in 2017

Just got this email:
    https://www.equestrian.ca/news/B3Wb2...reen-passports

Good idea on the surface, but working on the process and human side of IT transformation, I see this as full of pitfalls in implementation, especially in the hands of EC.

Did shows get an advance heads up so they can redo their processes?
    How will this work with US shows?
    What will be the process for US riders coming up here?
    Will the servers be able to handle the demand for the inevitably lost emails that will be "easily" obtained during the peak of show season?
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

They can't keep track of results properly already so I foresee mucho problems with this..... sigh....I'm also sure my trainer who is the official owner of about 30 school horses that are all passported is going to love this, when the other trainers are the ones that actually take the school horses to shows (yes that is sarcasm)!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

3 members found this post helpful.

Well, reading the link, I see that if the owner loses the email, they only need to log into EC and the digital passport will be accessible there.

It also says they're following best practices including that of the USEF, so is the US already using the digital format? If so, it doesn't sound like this would be much of an issue.
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

It's my understanding that USEF doesn't have passports like we do, thus the whole eligibility issues that always crop up here on threads like "how can this horse be pre green when it's shown in the 4ft3 in Europe"!!!

and, yeah, while they say you can log on and access your record if you loose if what about if I'm in the states for instance, where I turn off my phone because of the ridiculous fees I'm charged, will the show office have access to my passport? Or as I stated.... in the case of a barn that has a whack load of school or lease horses horses can the leasees or the other trainers access the epassport?

They cannot get basic results (or names)correct now.... ask me how I know and how my horses dam still isn't corrected!!!! LOL

1 members found this post helpful.

Probably cost more too.

I'd really like them to get their accounting software issue sorted first, but that's just me.
    The stories of the T-Rex Eventer

Big Head, Little Arms, Still Not Thinking It Through

5 members found this post helpful.

I got my e-mail the other day and since have been seeing the trillium zones sharing this link to give the "heads up" to trainers and riders.
    I'm glad they're going green, show office horror stories of "he said/she said lost my passport" or forgetting a passport will be done with. But I'll be interested to see what the fees will now look like since there is no physical copy to make- this should in theory cost us less, right? Likely not.

I admit, I do not read their posts - nearly all of it does not affect little ole me.

But I did just get a new, unused passport of the old variety - do we all have to spend money to get the digital? I don't feel I get much from EC to begin with.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Supposedly they will transfer all current passports into the new e-version automatically so all we have to pay is the annual fee.... which they haven't announced.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Quote Originally Posted by Ibex View Post
    Supposedly they will transfer all current passports into the new e-version automatically so all we have to pay is the annual fee.... which they haven't announced.
    With an activation fee though.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyB View Post
    With an activation fee though.
    of course there is! However they can squeeze more $$$ out of us

2 members found this post helpful.

This also implies that all riders will have data on their phones - unless shows are willing to accept screenshots.

I wonder if their attempt to distract people from their other issues? Will it be as dazzling as their brand new website?

This does seem like a good year not to pay membership fees both in protest and to let some of the bugs shake out. The only down side is that it would affect show venues.

And how about us old fuddy duddies that do not use smart phones but want to show? Does this mean I have to get an iphone just for showing my bronze/silver 1st level passport 3 times a year when I show?

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm sat here steaming...... my horses passport was not cheap, my yearly fees aren't cheap and get me jack crap and just to be an Ammie I have to pay extra and now it seems I have to pay an ACTIVATION FEE....!WTF??? sorry EC but if you want to go to epassports, seems to me that you should at the very least offer those of us with existing passports the option to remain the same or offer a FREE changeover! We aren't made of money but you seem to think we all are, but is that because you only want to cater to the upper echelon of the riding world???

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
    I'm sat here steaming...... my horses passport was not cheap, my yearly fees aren't cheap and get me jack crap and just to be an Ammie I have to pay extra and now it seems I have to pay an ACTIVATION FEE....!WTF??? sorry EC but if you want to go to epassports, seems to me that you should at the very least offer those of us with existing passports the option to remain the same or offer a FREE changeover! We aren't made of money but you seem to think we all are, but is that because you only want to cater to the upper echelon of the riding world???
    Ok, I think EC needs a major overhaul too, but take a deep breath here:

You don't have to pay an activation fee to transfer your passport to digital format. You have to pay the activation fee INSTEAD OF the former annual license fee.

From the website:

Existing EC Passport holders will be exempt from the cost of a new Horse Recording, and will only be required to pay the 2017 Activation Fee.

The Activation Fee will apply annually and will replace the Horse Licence fee and sticker previously used for EC Passports.
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.