The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Music in the barn

For those who have music in the barn, what kind of equipment do you have? I don't want to use headphones...I want the music throughout the barn and use CDs.

I have never gotten my ipod to work right...I understand that they can play thru speakers. I'm just not tech-savvy and it seems like a lot of trouble to down load, etc. I listen to classical 99% of the time. DD will be listening to "other" genre.

How do you protect the equipment from dirt and dust. We won't have a sealed tack room or anything like that but could put a cabinet on a wall.
    Ride like you mean it.

you can buy reasonable priced speakers to go with nearly any device.
    the iCrap seems to have the special docking station, AKA charger input (I avoid all Apple things that are not edible, so I am guessing)
    Other gadgets just plug in through the headphone jack, done.
    But not all speakers are created equal, especially for classic! Shop around some.

or you can go old school: buy a regular old radio/CD player, or snap up an old stereo/CD changer. The speakers to those are easy to connect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

3 members found this post helpful.

I have old school in my home gym. I was thinking that it might be too delicate for the environment. I'll have to search...maybe outdoor speakers would do better in the dirt.
    Ride like you mean it.

Never mind...my daughter talked me out of being a putz and just learn how to use the dam iPod...for Heaven's sake mom....it's a new century.

I'll get my first ipod lesson tomorrow. Right now I accidentally got Beethoven's 7th symphony to play and am loving that.

Makes more sense than dragging a bunch of CDs around.
    Ride like you mean it.

How big is your barn? I've always just used a relatively inexpensive boombox type stereo, and it's done fine. I unplug it and put it away when I'm not using it so it so it doesn't get particularly gross.

We have a new indoor.
    Ride like you mean it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Walmart had inexpensive speakers that plug into the headphone jack of your iPod. I have a little $20 one that has great sound and I can hear in no matter where I am in the barn.
    Proud mother to Matt, a 18 year-old TB gelding.

FOREVER

2 members found this post helpful.

Cover whatever you are going to use with a clear plastic bag and cheers for the 7th, one of my favorites, Mexican Hat Dance and all!
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

I have a Sirius/XM boom box tuned to Margaritaville.

I love my cheap little iphone docking radio. It kills two birds with one stone for me/barn. I've got a center aisle and it's only 9 stalls so it isn't hard to fill it with sound but I run the fans so ... I just dust it once or twice a week and no problemo. I figure I'd rather spend less b/c it sits on the first aid cabinet and it's lasted a year, but at some point, something horsey will happen to it. lol Easier to just replace it than try to bubblewrap something really expensive. Plus, with the dock I can either play radio or my iphone (or ipod). Though I love having my iphone attached b/c then the music stops when someone calls me. I miss calls all the time at the barn b/c it's hard to hear (again, fans!) so having it docked means I can hear my fav music nice and loud AND get an alert when someone is trying to contact me. Win, win!
    True Bearing Equestrian
    St. Helena Island, SC

Quote Originally Posted by spirithorse22 View Post
    I love my cheap little iphone docking radio. It kills two birds with one stone for me/barn. I've got a center aisle and it's only 9 stalls so it isn't hard to fill it with sound but I run the fans so ... I just dust it once or twice a week and no problemo. I figure I'd rather spend less b/c it sits on the first aid cabinet and it's lasted a year, but at some point, something horsey will happen to it. lol Easier to just replace it than try to bubblewrap something really expensive. Plus, with the dock I can either play radio or my iphone (or ipod). Though I love having my iphone attached b/c then the music stops when someone calls me. I miss calls all the time at the barn b/c it's hard to hear (again, fans!) so having it docked means I can hear my fav music nice and loud AND get an alert when someone is trying to contact me. Win, win!
    I also have the little docking station radio for my iPod and I love it. Right now it's in my office at work and works perfectly for that.

In addition I have this thing (also iPod speakers) that I can take anywhere and hang up: http://www.target.com/p/hmdx-go-wire...#prodSlot=_1_6

It protects your iPod from getting dirty and is my go-to for cleaning stalls or the beach/pool.

You could make a protective case out of plexiglass. Just cut pieces to make a box that will fit over your music device, attach some hinges and something to lift up the top an voila! Your music player is protected from dust and weather

Spotify, a dedicated barn iPad, and a Bose Bluetooth speaker the size of a hardback novel. This morning I cranked up "Misty Mountain Hop" and shredded some bad ass air guitar on my manure fork. The iPad and speaker take up no room on a utility room shelf.
    Dreadful Acres: the chronicle of my extraordinary unsuitability to country life

Quote Originally Posted by The Crone of Cottonmouth County View Post
    ...This morning I cranked up "Misty Mountain Hop" and shredded some bad ass air guitar on my manure fork.
    I like your style. Was shredding some air mandolin, myself, to this classic over the weekend, along with the rest of LZ's greatest hits...after finishing the book "Robert Plant, A Life" by Paul Rees. Good read. Oh, and I have a dream to create a dressage musical freestyle to "Kashmir". But, I digress...

Ezduzit - As suggested, I agree about covering whatever you use in a sealable plastic bag. I ruined a huge, perfectly good, albeit, old-school boombox because I was only using a pillowcase to cover it...and was usually too lazy to water my dusty indoor on a regular basis. I miss that dinosaur.
    Is it me or do 99.9% of cowboys just look better with their hats on?
    <><