The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thuro-bilt trailers

Anyone seen this brand of trailer? For an inexpensive trailer, online they look decent. In person they may not look as good. Plus I wonder if they are like the feather lites, those shake and rattle.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    Anyone seen this brand of trailer? For an inexpensive trailer, online they look decent. In person they may not look as good. Plus I wonder if they are like the feather lites, those shake and rattle.
    It has been about 5 years so they may have changed... But I just thought it felt a bit cheap compared to some of the others I looked at. I don't recall anything unsafe but the construction seemed less solid and the details cheaper than some of the other trailers we looked at. Also, the dressing room was smaller and the warmblood size wasn't as big when we measured. We went with the Trails West Classic II 2H bumper pull and have been extremely happy. More expensive but built really well, has great options and features, and the warmblood size is really generous. I've had many people comment at shows about how big it feels. Every horse I've hauled seems to love it - I think because it feels so bright and spacious inside.

I bought an Eclipse trailer last fall and it is an awesome trailer. It is not as expensive as some others. I did get the delux upgrades
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

A former boarder had a 2 horse thuro-bilt

I don't remember much about it other than that it looked nice sitting in my parking lot. I also think they found it small/tight when trying to haul both their horses, but great for one.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Default 2006 TB 2 horse slant

I have a 2006 TB 2 horse slant. I can't remember the name of the make, but it's the top of the line one. A friend has the bottom of the line one, and the biggest difference was that her tack room is tiny and awkward to use! I think it really depends on the model.

I've been very happy with mine. It's held up great, and looks nice. I've hauled all shapes and sizes in mine with no issues (Nothing over 16hh though). I just had some routine maintenance done on it and the person who did it was impressed at the quality/type of hinges used on it. My tack room wall is moveable, so I can "open" the divider and make the trailer into one giant open space (which might be useful if you were moving something other than animals because there are bridle racks and blanket bars welded on the inside of the tack room). I've opened the divider for cleaning, but never for anything else.

http://www.thurobilt.com/shiloex.html I think this is mine.
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

Lovely Bay, that is a nice looking trailer. I wish they were taller though, the link shows an inside height of 6'6". I could go with that in a stock trailer, but not an enclosed one.

1 members found this post helpful.

I believe some of the other models are taller.

1 members found this post helpful.

I've hauled two different ThuroBilt trailers, one was a Liberty 3 horse slant, it was WB height. The other I believe was a 2 horse slant Spirit or Maverick, it was 7' tall and more like a stock trailer, I really liked it other than the tack room door was pretty narrow and harder to get a big western saddle out of. Because they were steel they both had a bit of rust, but hauled very well. They are on my "I would buy list" along with the Trails West trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by RedmondDressage View Post
    We went with the Trails West Classic II 2H bumper pull and have been extremely happy. More expensive but built really well, has great options and features, and the warmblood size is really generous.
    I also went with the Trails West trailer after looking at many different brands, including Thuro-bilts.

The Thruo-bilts I looked at though were the Spirit ones, I think. I thought they were OK, nothing that really grabbed at me. But I knew friends who had different models of Trail West Trailers and really liked them.

I actually found mine in Texas off of Craig's List - it's a 2005, clean, little used and affordable. And a friend happened to be in TX at the time visiting her daughter, so she hauled it back for me. Took me another two year to have a big enough truck to haul both horses in it, but I really love it.

Default thuro bilt paint

Fixing up my thuro bilt spirit and have not been able to match the paint. Does anyone know the paint code for thuro bilt white? Ice tried contacting the manufacturer, but they are no longer in businesd. No dealer has been helpful either. Anyone have an owners manual or have experience touching up paint on these takers?? Help!!

Canchas3r I bought my Thuro-Built in 2012 I have the Spirit I believe but I special ordered mine in an extra-Tall its been a good trailer and I have put Big horses in it 16.3hh with no problems. I will look and see if I still have the sample of touch up paint that they gave me when I bought it. I bought it frome these guys http://www.trailersnorthwest.com/ at that time they were selling a lot of these trailers I mean a lot I think they were one of the biggest sellers of the brand. I would call them and ask about the color I know that the same guys still work there. Last fall my husband contacted them about getting a spare tire mount for this brand of trailer and we found out that the company has gone out of business so they are no longer being made. I have decided that when the front gets rock chips I think im going to do a Rino Liner on it instead of repainting it. It'll be stronger then regular paint and if done right looks pretty good (that stuff does come in colors besides black).
    One day you'll wake up and there wont be any more time to do what you've always wanted to do. Do it NOW!