The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Selling Saddle Online - Payment Options

I am thinking of listing an English saddle online to sell. I have never sold anything that would need shipping online. What payment options can I offer buyers that are secure for me and how do I set things up?

The only one I have used is Paypal. They offer protection for the buyer and seller, although I have heard it is leaning heavily in favor of buyers these days. You can sign up for a free account at their website. They take a fee, so be sure you factor this into your sales price.

PayPal

Paypal or Amazon Payments.

I've always used Paypal.
    It does have some seller protection, but any credit card online payment system will allow buyers to file a charge-back through their credit card (Paypal also allows them to do that directly via Paypal).
    IMO still worth it, as you open your market a lot vs just local cash and carry, but worth being aware of.

How does paypal work? I have never used it nor do I know anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bopper View Post
    How does paypal work? I have never used it nor do I know anything about it.
    Well, at the risk of being obvious, their website lays everything out pretty clearly: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mp...sting-payments

In short, you'll want to "request" money from the buyer in the form of an invoice. (Sending as "friends/family" offers no protection for either party.) Buyer will pay. Paypal will take their 2.9%, and you can either use the remaining balance to shop around the internet, or have it deposited in your bank account in 3-5 business days.

You will need a Paypal account, which requires a verified bank account, so give yourself at least several days lead time to get it set up before accepting payments, so you don't have a pissed off buyer.

Paypal or COD if from the same area. I can do COD if items are sold in Canada with Canada post. There is a fee for this but at least the buyer knows they have the item. I have done COD with other things but it comes down to the shipping company that you are working with.
    My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Well, at the risk of being obvious, their website lays everything out pretty clearly: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mp...sting-payments

In short, you'll want to "request" money from the buyer in the form of an invoice. (Sending as "friends/family" offers no protection for either party.) Buyer will pay. Paypal will take their 2.9%, and you can either use the remaining balance to shop around the internet, or have it deposited in your bank account in 3-5 business days.

You will need a Paypal account, which requires a verified bank account, so give yourself at least several days lead time to get it set up before accepting payments, so you don't have a pissed off buyer.
    Bold is mine. This is not true with all accounts, Paypal held any money I had come in for 21 days. So when I sell something I make sure that I don't need the money for 21 days. I have talked to paypal about it as I meet all the requirements but still my money get held for 21 days when I sell something.
    My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed

As a seller, I would NEVER EVER use PayPal. Mostly because they can take your money and keep it for 180 days. Google something along the lines of "paypal is holding my money for 180 days" etc.

I sold a saddle with COD - post office delivered, collected the money right there, and sent me a check. Very easy. If any questions, go to your local post office and ask about it first.
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

I've used Paypal a ton over the years both buying and selling. I've never had a problem with them, or have had them "hold" my money. They've been good.
    It is not enough to know how to ride; one must know how to fall.

If you use Paypal do not put down Gift to avoid fees. You will then lose the protection Paypal offers.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)