The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
    North Carolina

Default Looking for alfalfa/alfalfa mix in or near NC-could share truckload

Now that the loft in my barn is near completion I'm trying to find some decent hay for my two horses and pony. I'd like to find a source of alfalfa. I'm willing to drive to pick up a flatbed load or to maybe share a semi load with somebody. I live in Laurinburg which is about 35 miles from Southern Pines. I would even consider an out of state road trip for a really good deal.
    I could probably even take a full semi-load if needed.
    My local feed store sells alfalfa hay for $19.00 a bale and they are smallish 2 wire bales,not the 3 string monsters that I paid less than $10.00 for in Arizona.
    I would also consider some nice quality Timothy/orchard hay. My Bermuda is not the best quality but only $4.00 a bale. My vet would really like me to replace all or part of the coastal in my horse diets due to the risk of colic that she feels is high.

South Carolina

Try Reed Farm and Feed on Facebook. They're in NE Sc but I believe they truck in Timothy/alfalfa mix from Ohio. Anyway they're great folks to deal with.
    I never rode a broke horse but then maybe I'm a sorry hand. - Ray Hunt

Chase the trouble. - Buck Brannaman

NE Georgia

I just got some beautiful Alfalfa/Timothy/Oat mix from Production Acres in Tennessee. You need to order by the truckload.

You might check with the Old Glory Legacy Foundation in Wagram - they were at one point the meeting point for people to buy off of a truckload of Canadian timothy. I think she was storing some to sell over time as well.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"