The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse Transport - WI to CA

Can you help me track down a good way to transport my horse (mellow 7 yo, 1500 pound, Hano gelding) from WI to CA? I have no idea what it costs to ship a horse or why one transport company would be better than another. I assume it is easier on the horse to go with a commercial shipper than it would be to go in a two horse trailer - even with overnight rest stops each day. Is that correct? Thanks for your advice.

Mary

Your horse is a good sized fellow, and if it were me, I would want a known commercial shipper. If you do a search here, the question about who to ship with is asked often, although not specifically from your location to CA. Equine Express is a company that comes recommended often, uses air rides, and is reliable. I used them to ship from upstate NY to CA, so they do the route you need. Brookledge is another off the top of my head that comes highly recommended. There are a couple of Facebook transportation groups, too, one called The Commercial Horse Haulers. If you use a website like travelinghorse, be sure you get information about the shipper before you pay any money.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com