The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Another retiired/relocate area question...

Lebanon, MO. The good, the bad, the ugly?
    A friend is going to retire in this area and is trying to convince my DH that we should relocate there as well. As I've said in previous threads, I have spent my entire life in So CA (born in Los Angeles) and don't do humidity and bugs well. I'd also rather deal with earthquakes than tornadoes. The problem is that we're retired on a small income, short saled our house, so don't have a lot of $ to work with. We are realizing that we will have to make compromises and maybe move further east (than AZ/NM) in order to get horse property.
    Thanks in advance for info.
    "And I will be an embarrassment to all
    Who have not found the peace in being free
    to have a horse as a best friend."

Properties will cost drastically less in Lebanon than in SoCal, but honestly, Lebanon is kind of in the middle of nowhere, you're somewhat near Springfield, but Springfield isn't all that big either. Although, maybe that is what you are looking for? What about St. Louis or Kansas City? Still costs less, but you're near civilization Both cities have horse-friendly suburbs nearby.

I also moved from Orange County to the Midwest....and I actually prefer the midwest! Yes, the weather sucks (I don't like humidity either!) but the people are some of the nicest you will meet, and your horse expenses will cost less!

Or Nashville? Maybe not as cheap as MO, but a lot cheaper than SoCal, well-rated as far as healthcare goes. Within 50 miles of the city you can still find good farmland, and Nashville's big enough to have some big-city perks like a major airline hub, symphony, good food, etc.

StG

2 members found this post helpful.

Southern NM can be quite reasonably priced and no pesky humidity or bugs (so long as you are away from the river - well really intermittent stream that is known as the Rio Grande ).

If you're thinking of AZ as in Phoenix and you're interested in trail riding, do your homework. I just read an article in Endurance News about all the public and forest trails that are being lost to development.
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

Water is more plentiful in the Midwest than in Calif. (just one other factor that will be increasingly important as time goes on...)
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Quote Originally Posted by GotMyPony View Post
    If you're thinking of AZ as in Phoenix and you're interested in trail riding, do your homework. I just read an article in Endurance News about all the public and forest trails that are being lost to development.
    We are thinking about northeast AZ.

Quote Originally Posted by sdlbredfan View Post
    Water is more plentiful in the Midwest than in Calif. (just one other factor that will be increasingly important as time goes on...)
    Availability of water is a MAJOR concern. We currently have our 5th wheel parked at friends place in Tehachapi, CA. There is a band of feral horses (not mustangs)in the mountains here. The caretakers have some of them up for adoption in order to thin the herd due to the lack of forage and decreasing water supply.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the info, everyone! I am considering ALL suggestions.

I live outside of Springfield. I can say that the only plus is that SW MO has some very picturesque and cheap land. There are some beautiful trails and fishing areas. But there is very little there as far as jobs,quality healthcare, Lebanon is a dirty town. You might be better served closer to a larger place like Springfield or KC with more amenities but still find cheap land. KC area will be higher. What do you like to do? If you are interested in quality instruction, shows, etc then pick carefully...if you just want a little farm in the country, we do have that.

What about Ocala, Florida? The climate is great and homes are inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Antaeus View Post
    Lebanon, MO. ..T I'd also rather deal with earthquakes than tornadoes. .
    Bonus Time.. you get both Tornadoes and Earthquakes as the New Madrid Fault Line, is a major seismic zone and a prolific source of intra-plate earthquakes... expect next BIG event (8 plus) is ...ugh now as it appears every two hundred years the area is subjected to a big one....last event 1811-12

consider eastern Washington around Spokane or Walla Walla

4 seasons, more dry than humid
    walla walla is a mini winew country with a medium sized university so entertainment opportunities. Not far to the State Vet School

Spokane a slightly larger city, more tech and medical center. several universities including Gonzaga for the basketball lovers. 4 seasons, grassland and pine forest particularly north of the city along the river.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Agree with Hoopoe. Eastern Washington is still inexpensive for both people and horses. The area around Omak or Spokane is a haven for retirees. Great trail riding, four seasons, no humidity. Spokane is a BIG city...well, the only one one that side of the state! SE WA is nice too-- the Tri-cities area is still affordable, easy 3-4 hour drive to Portland, too.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Be careful to select the right property when moving to any tornado area. Twisters follow geography, and many times come through the same path over and over.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

For any city I want to find out about I do two things. 1. google City-Data Forums and the city name. 2. Look at realtor.com, see about the rental prices, and look at house sale prices, and inventory. A warning about buying foreclosures is (because of the prices many people consider them a possibility), make sure what the reclamation rules are for that state, because in Alabama the owner can reclaim the property for a full year after a sale, and some states are a longer period. And after the beginning of the year short sales will be taxed on the seller, by considering the difference between sale price and market value, and that's on federal taxes. I may not have that exactly right, but I've only read a little about it.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

JanM - I am always checking city data and realtor.com

Clanter / JanM - As for tornadoes, I always check tornado data for any area folks suggest.

Clanter / JanM - As for tornadoes, I always check tornado data for any area folks suggest.
    they happen nearly anywhere so the data is pretty worthless

by the data we have had I guess fifteen set down with a few miles of us, the worse was on track to basically overrun us until it hit downtown Fort Worth which deflected the direction to the southeast (nevertheless that one did a job on a bunch of attorneys' offices)

What I would look for would be access to medical care, response times for EMS/police/fire and support services such as shopping for groceries... and no snow for me.

Tornado shelters can be built anywhere.

Keep the info coming! I'm making a list of places to visit.
    Thanks to those who have given info on health care. It has become more important to us as of late, especially since I got bucked off and spent a week in hospital. My DH wanted rural for fishing/hunting - so while in hospital I mentioned (multiple times ) the 5 minute Paramedic response time and 15 minute ambulance ride to hospital.

Clanter - Can you build tornado shelter for horses? I'm more worried about them than me. I picture one of my horses as the cow carried away by the tornado in Twister...

Clanter - Can you build tornado shelter for horses? I'm more worried about them than me. I picture one of my horses as the cow carried away by the tornado in Twister...
    sure you can built a tornado shelter for horses, but not sure about an earthquake shelter

http://www.pleasurehorse.com/latest-.../#.VBSUxWd0yic