The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default So, You Walk Into the Barn and See This

Another example of what a horse can do to itself when you aren't around.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

1 members found this post helpful.

No matter what we do horses sure can manage to scare the heck out of us.

2 members found this post helpful.

i came into the barn one day to find one of the ponies stuck that way, but way down on the wire and he was still on his feet. (and looked at me like "hey, unstick me here, OK?")

wonder how many grey hairs this one caused in its people...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Hope they had some heavy duty wire cutters handy! Yikes.
    "My treasures do not chink or gleam, they glitter in the sun and neigh at night."
    ~Gypsy saying

We had a horse at the barn I worked at who kicked at his neighbor in the next stall and got his back leg through the bars in the partition. We found him standing there with his leg resting on the partition just above his hock and his cannon hanging over the wall into the neighbor's stall. He stood like a champ while BO and her husband raced to remove the bars on either side of his leg. Then, they lifted and I urged him forward and he 'hopped' back into his own stall. He was FINE! No lameness, no scrapes, nothing! He got a solid walled stall after that so he couldn't see who was next door.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

The old saying," You can lock them in a rubber room." comes to mind.
    I like my men like my tea: hot, strong, sweet and British!

I'm trying to rationalize taking a picture of it before helping the horse...?!

picture may have been taken while others were helping the horse...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Boom. Rationalized. That makes sense. ^^

Some horses are to stupid to survive. This is Darwin's theory in real life. We had a horse get so mad at being confined for hurting her leg, she kicked thru the bars.
    That was a really hard one, she had done a 360* roll over while hind leg was caught, and getting the bars up and out, was quite difficult. Who would THINK a horse with a size 4 hoof could get thru 3" wide bars??

She didn't stay after leg was healed, we had leased her and she went home. Just a "never content" type personality, kept hurting herself while trying to break things and picking fights even after she got totally beat up by the other horses.

NOT WORTH having her around to use, she was way too much trouble being troublesome, though a nice looking horse. No brains and a p*$$* attitude to deal with. SO GLAD to see her gone!!

We don't own horses that are not nice to live with, fun to use. Horse owning and using is supposed to be FUN, not a headache waiting for you out in the barn. Our horses LIKE us and each other, so they make it enjoyable to work with them.

When I was a teen, I worked at a barn that had a ring made up of round pen panels. They had the rounded corners, but they did the safe thing and at each joint there was a 6x6 post that the panels were strapped to.

They occasionally turned horses out in there, and one day I was leading another horse out only to see that the horse turned out in the ring had somehow gotten his front hoof slid down between the panels and a post. So the flat of his hoof was against the post, with a panel edge to either side. Firmly stuck.

I hightailed it back to the barn yelling for help, and we got five people out there. Two just looped arms around his butt to keep him from settling back, while three worked to get the panels undone. They were held on with wire straps so not coming off easily. All of a sudden, the gelding popped up and wrenched backwards. I remember, to this day, not wanting to look at his leg because I was sure his hoof was going to be torn right off and dripping blood.

He took two or three lame steps, and then trotted off sound. He had some swelling and abrasions for a few days, but was otherwise fine. Dang lucky horse!

can I get a high five? ...c'mon don't leave me hanging'

I was thinking of making our stalls out of something like that welded wire, but the smaller one, 2" x 2".

After seeing that, I am not sure we are better off than vertical bars, that I also know horses that kicked thru.

We have in our current stalls horizontal bars, but still afraid a horse could put a leg thru and not get it back?

Maybe we ought to use expanded metal?
    Surely nothing would get hung up on that?

Glad that he was fine, wondering why the shoe didn't pull off, with his weight on it like that?

I had a horse do that once - but he can caught the heel of his hind shoe on the rim of a feeder in his stall....

I got a call from the BO "I think your horse is DEAD!! COME QUICK!!"

Luckily it was just a mile away and I flew up there - yep, horse was still (decided not to struggle any more?) but far from dead.

I reached in, freed his hoof, and he stood right up. A little stiff, but otherwise just fine.
    APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Someone posted in a thread about how to make "removable" bars in a grill bar setup. It is for a setup that has wood panels on the bottom and the top of grills.

On the top panel of wood you make the holes, into which the bar fits, much deeper than needed.
    Then if you have to remove the bars you slide them up into the deeper hole on top, and the bar clears the bottom panel and you can remove the bar.

That picture was distressing.