The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Traveling to New Mexico from Texas with horses

Hello, has anyone been asked for the bill of sale or proof of ownership of a horse they travelled with, entering into New Mexico? This page (https://www.usrider.org/EquestrianMotorPlan.html) says "Proof of Ownership requirements: Must carry bill of sale/registration papers, brand inspection form.". I also saw the same line on the NM livestock board's list of requirements.

I have no bill of sale for my horse that I have owned for years - it was sold to me by someone I am not in contact with anymore and we never got any papers from them. The horse has no registration papers either and to complicate matters further, a previous owner put a freeze brand on them that is half visible

Any ideas, opinions, experiences? Thanks!

I have a friend that got pulled over in NM on her way to the AECs from Colorado and didn't have her brand certificate (proof of ownership. Somehow she'd forgotten it.) The cop who pulled her over informed her it was a felony and he was going to throw her in jail because she didn't have it. (She called her son at home, who found the brand inspection, he took a picture, sent it to her phone, she showed it to the cop and he let her go.) So, they take that proof of ownership very seriously, at least for people from Colorado that are supposed to have it.

I think there are alternatives, like microchipping, that you might be able to use. Really, they just want to make sure you're not hauling a stolen horse.

Also note that New Mexico now requires getting an Entry Permit # on the health cert. Your vet has to call for that. Make sure you have the full address, including zip code, and phone number of where you're going for the vet when they call.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Topaz View Post
    I have a friend that got pulled over in NM on her way to the AECs from Colorado and didn't have her brand certificate (proof of ownership. Somehow she'd forgotten it.) The cop who pulled her over informed her it was a felony and he was going to throw her in jail because she didn't have it. (She called her son at home, who found the brand inspection, he took a picture, sent it to her phone, she showed it to the cop and he let her go.) So, they take that proof of ownership very seriously, at least for people from Colorado that are supposed to have it.

I think there are alternatives, like microchipping, that you might be able to use. Really, they just want to make sure you're not hauling a stolen horse.

Also note that New Mexico now requires getting an Entry Permit # on the health cert. Your vet has to call for that. Make sure you have the full address, including zip code, and phone number of where you're going for the vet when they call.
    Yeah, see that's what I was afraid of. What do people do when they don't have bills of sale or proofs of ownership? They just don't go to New Mexico?

Get a BRAND INSPECTION. They are cheap. Also handy if your horse is ever stolen, & officials need to start looking at livestock auctions for your horse.
    "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

Brand inspection will suffice as your proof of ownership (since you have to prove it to bran inspector.)
    Follow my journey to the Extreme Mustang Makeover 2015 at www.wildtofab.weebly.com

You don't need to have a brand on your horse to get a brand inspection, either. They will either photograph or draw your horse's markings on their form and you'll get the card as proof of ownership. I have Paints, so prefer the photos.

In the west they tend to be sticklers for proof of ownership. Even though I have copies of my registration/ownership papers from the APHA I still carry permanent brand inspection cards for my horses.

The brand inspectors in the various states have every authority to pull you over and ticket or impound your horses, too. Just a warning.

Does Texas require brand inspections?

Quote Originally Posted by back in the saddle View Post
    Does Texas require brand inspections?
    Unless I managed to enter illegally, Texas does not require a brand inspection. I just had a coggins and health cert.

Thank you all! I think I am going to go with a brand inspection here in Texas.

You must be able to get a brand inspection without a bill of sale there? In MT we need a bill of sale (or to be the registered owner of the brand that is on the horse) in order to get a brand inspection.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey