The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Growing up with horses taught me about sex

I can't be the only one here...

I came from a family who didn't really talk about the birds and the bees much - and by much, I mean at all. I really didn't know anything about it. I started riding when I was 8 and around the time I was 11 or 12, I remember being very curious about why all the geldings at my barn would drop their *business* all the time, or why the mares did that winking thing with their private parts. It may sound weird to us as adults, but as a curious child I even remember poking around my mare's vulva trying to figure out why she was doing that, or cleaning a gelding's sheath and feeling mystified by the fact that it was "eliciting a reaction."

I remember reading through vet books to learn what exactly was going on here. It felt weird at the time, and I felt like I was doing something naughty, but looking back, I think being around horses is how I learned about sex. Maybe being a curious preteen, reading about human sexuality was too "taboo," and I was surrounded by horses doing these funny things that to my young, curious brain was so strange.

Anyway, there's your bit of random discussion for the day. I promise I'm not a weirdo, but I can't be the only one who learned about the birds and the bees from growing up around horses?
    Last edited by dappled; Jun. 11, 2016 at 04:10 PM. Reason: typos

1 members found this post helpful.

I sort of did but I was all wrong! I thought geldings were mares when I was little, before I had anything to do with horses. That's the result of figuring out or being told about nursing a baby. Breasts on women, udders on cows, sheaths on horses. Makes sense right? You can't really see the udder on a horse. So anyway it took me a while to figure it all out! And now I'm wondering why cows have udders that are so much more prominent than horses'. There's still stuff I don't know!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

1 members found this post helpful.

A school bus load of kids learned about sex driving past my trainer's farm. He turned his stud horse out with his mares in the front field.
    Visit my Spoonflower shop

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    I sort of did but I was all wrong! I thought geldings were mares when I was little, before I had anything to do with horses. That's the result of figuring out or being told about nursing a baby. Breasts on women, udders on cows, sheaths on horses. Makes sense right? You can't really see the udder on a horse. So anyway it took me a while to figure it all out! And now I'm wondering why cows have udders that are so much more prominent than horses'. There's still stuff I don't know!

five year old daughter at a movie theater during a showing of I believe it black Stallion when a swish of the tail revealed the stand in was a mare .... daughter in a five year olds not so quite voice Daddy That's a Mare!!! that NOT The Stallion

3 members found this post helpful.