The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What to wear to a schooling show?

So I'm taking my broken thoroughbred to a horse show.

We're going into the showmanship class--meant to do it last year but stuff came up. I don't really have breeches or anything, he's got a nice black leather halter that I'm going to get a lead to match.

Are slacks and a nice blouse acceptable for a schooling show? Mind you it's an in-hand showmanship class. Should I buy nicer stuff in case he's good at it and we want to go to another one?

We've practiced but not a whole lot, he does turn okay and backs up in a straight line. Having some trouble with the whole 'trot with our head level' thing but hey, it's for fun and we'll get there eventually right?

I'd ask ahead and see if they require show clothes or not. If not, wear what is comfortable yet conservative. Clean boots, slacks, and a pressed blouse should be more than enough. You might want a leather belt too, but it shouldn't be all that involved.

I'd also still keep my hair pinned back.

Quote Originally Posted by RodeoFTW View Post
    I'd ask ahead and see if they require show clothes or not. If not, wear what is comfortable yet conservative. Clean boots, slacks, and a pressed blouse should be more than enough. You might want a leather belt too, but it shouldn't be all that involved.

I'd also still keep my hair pinned back.
    Ooh..clean boots. looks like I'll be getting another pair. >.> It was time anyway lol

You don't need to buy another pair. They have plenty of boot shine stuff at Target or any other store. Just get ready to clean and shine when you have a moment (like while watching tv). If the toes are a little bit cracked, boot polish will take care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by RodeoFTW View Post
    You don't need to buy another pair. They have plenty of boot shine stuff at Target or any other store. Just get ready to clean and shine when you have a moment (like while watching tv). If the toes are a little bit cracked, boot polish will take care of it.
    They're scuffed and absolutely coated in horse crap. Also the seams are falling apart. It's really time for another pair, it's been a couple years.

I wear khakis, a polo, belt, tan visor, gloves, carry a stick and paddock boots . If I'm riding later I may be in boots, breeches and either a polo, belt or my show jacket and shirt.

Have fun.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Go for the Polo Ralph Lauren look. That's what I would do if I could wear whatever I wanted.

Take pics!! Have fun.
    Redneck, white trash, and blue collar.

Riding clothes aren't usually necessary. A solid color polo shirt and khakis are fine. I would wear polished "horse safe" footwear and a belt.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/