The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for dude ranch in the Rockies/Tetons.

An eventer friend and I are looking to go on a riding vacation out west. We would not be bringing our own horses. I would love recommendations for relatively upscale ranch destinations. Also, please pm me with any that I should avoid.

1 members found this post helpful.

The Spotted Horse Ranch in Jackson Hole, WY. Loved it. Best vacation I ever had, and the scenery is beyond spectacular.
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

A hundred years ago we went to R Lazy S in Jackson Hole. I really enjoyed it, but I was a pre-teen so take that for what it's worth!

I may be (ok, am) biased, but my friend is head wrangler at Red Rock Ranch just outside of Jackson Hole in the Gros Ventre Wilderness. The ranch is gorgeous, and she keeps a herd of horses that are not only in good shape but also responsive under saddle.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

My friend is currently a wrangler at R Lazy in Jackson, by Teton Village. I visited her there and did not want to leave!

WARNING!:
    A friend of mine did this right after college. Fell in love with the head wrangler and never came back!

many years ago we went to this dude ranch..http://63ranch.com/ it was an amazing experience
    https://www.facebook.com/Luckyacresfarm
    "Don´t put words in my mouth" by RodeoFTW

http://www.bitterrootranch.com/

I went to Bitterroot a bunch of years ago, and loved every second. Wonderful horses, you ride more than one so they are always rested. Great food, good wine, fun company.
    They take about 30 people at a time, but rides are broken up by level. 1500 acre ranch and something like 50,000 acres of federal land, stunningly beautiful.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

I lived in Jackson for eight years. Rode my horses everywhere. Spectacular! So spectacular that even my horses stopped to look at the views! The ranches others mentioned are all great. Go for it! Montana is excellent too.

It looks like this place is under new ownership, so I'm not sure what it is like now, but it was great back when I went there 20 years ago. The horse program was very good.

http://www.rawahranch.com