The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hypothetical horse drugging situation FOR RESEARCH! :)

Hi! I figured "off course" would be most appropriate because this is fictional. My brother in law is a writer and he asked my advice on this and I knew just the place to post it! Any and all input would be appreciated. His quoted message is below:
    "I'm writing a mystery, and I have a horse race that gets fixed. The race gets fixed because a third party pumps the horses full of stimulants and depressants, but I need to know which ones occur naturally in the horses' bodies so that it could avoid detection. I also need to know how much of the stimulants and depressants the horses could take before they have a heart attack. "

Dunno - adrenaline? Guess you would need a vet to answer.gg

Sure to get kicked out of the Bible Belt soon.....

If it's a racing novel, I'd use cocaine as a stimulant (we've all heard the "The groom had cocaine and it spilled into the grain type of scenario). Gaba is naturally occurring as a depressant. I bet Laurierace, our resident racing expert, could give you some advice.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
    ...The race gets fixed because a third party pumps the horses full of stimulants and depressants, but I need to know which ones occur naturally in the horses' bodies so that it could avoid detection. ...
    It doesn't have to be naturally occurring to avoid detection, just something new that no test has yet been developed for. I used to know a researcher who was very active in the development of drug tests for the racing industry. He joked that his employment was guaranteed for life because as soon as they developed a test for the drug du jour, the drug users just switched to something new that they didn't have a test for yet. So, that's a potential reasonably plausible work-around if you can't come up with any naturally occurring substances.
    "Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything
    that's even remotely true."

Homer Simpson