The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default ISH Stallions and bloodlines

I am starting to look for my next eventing prospect and I think I may be leaning toward Irish Sport horses. What are the common eventing sires? Are some lines known to be better jumpers? Just some common knowledge info would be great!!!

Also, what is the stereotype of the ISH? Are they know to be tolerant, hot, etc......?

Thanks!!

generally tolerant... USA Cruising is a jumper stallion standing at Acorn Hill, i think they have a couple others, i have ridden one of his offspring before who was an eventing prospect, and really liked him
    http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...7/PIC_0491.jpg
    Live, Cherish, and Enjoy every moment.

I'll share some of my knowledge, but I'm sure some Irish breeders will chip in soon and share more expansive knowledge.

The Sea Crest line seems to be very successful in jumping. I'd like my next Irish horse to come from this line. Cruising (and progeny) and Brandenburg's Windstar are decendents of Sea Crest.

IME, Clover Hill is very popular in eventing breeding. There are not quite as many offspring of his in the US, but we do have one of the three RID stallions he sired here. I'm betting he probably produced the greatest amount of international showjumpers of any RID stallion, so the jump is definitely there. His offspring probably aren't as heavy as some of the other RID sires because of his pedigree's large TB influence.

King of Diamonds has been extremely influential on IDs and IDSHs, especially through his purebred sons. He produced jumpers and is probably the most famous Irish horse. You won't find a shortage of purebred and partbred IDs with KOD in their pedigree.

Cavalier Royale is an ISH approved Holsteiner who's had an enormous impact on eventing. I'm sure you've seen his offspring all over the international eventing scene.

I also like Jumbo, the British Sport Horse advanced eventing stallion by Skippy RID. I don't know about availability of Jumbo progeny in the US, but there are some with Skippy several generations back.

TBlitz had very good points.

King of Diamonds offspring are extremely athletic and have gone to upper levels of eventing, dressage and jumpers - good movers and jumpers. McKinlaigh has KOD in his pedigree

Sea Crest lines are also very athletic. IMHO those lines have hotter temperments and can more often be pro rides.

Milestone is another prominant sire - Jumbo has him. This is another athletic line that could give you jump and a good mover.

Cavalier Royale is a Holsteiner in Ireland - however he is a Cor de la Breyer son and there are other stallions by him available in the US (e.g., I have an IDSH by Hilltop Cordini who is another Cor son)

Here is a nice database you can search for Irish horses and see if you see common ancestry with your favorites http://www.idshs.com.au/perl/search.pl
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Thanks guys!!! That has helped alot!!! Now, where are the resources to find Irish horses in the US?

THANKS!

did you check out Acorn Hill? A couple of my friends have had some great luck with their young ones...
    http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...7/PIC_0491.jpg
    Live, Cherish, and Enjoy every moment.

I imported my ISH recently, he is by Olympic Lux. Olympic Lux is by Lux Z and has produced many successful event horses more commonly in England/Europe, but I have seen several in the US.

Oh Irish is the way to go! What a mind they have to learn to jump, and to take care of themselves. It really is different from the other breeds!
    However, it is important to shop the bloodlines with not only the athletic ability in mind, but the temperament. Some of the lines mentioned are just not easy rides, and I've had a few of the not-so easy rides.
    Recently broke and trained a Touch of the Blues RID mare and very VERY excited about the way that mare took to training and jumping - we went cross country schooling, her second time out with others - and were giving leads over the black pipe jump to horses twice her age. But she is also Irish Draught, which is the purebred, as opposed to the Irish sporthorse, which is more of a type, I guess. If you are looking for a sporthorse, you can basically get anything with at least one Irish parent - that is why many people do select the Irish Draught as they are the purebred and must have purebred parents, and pass inspections, etc. There are other differences I am sure the experts can outline.
    But I really like the RID over the sport horse having ridden a few of both.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

So I was under the assumption that the RID would be too heavy for upper level competition and was looking for a TB/RID cross. Am I wrong?

Link to the national organization

http://www.irishdraught.com/

There are links to breeders and classifieds

This is my newly approved RIDSH
    http://picasaweb.google.com/carolp3231/IDHSNAShow#
    Penmerryl's Sophie, however she is not for sale
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    Oh Irish is the way to go! What a mind they have to learn to jump, and to take care of themselves. It really is different from the other breeds!
    However, it is important to shop the bloodlines with not only the athletic ability in mind, but the temperament. Some of the lines mentioned are just not easy rides, and I've had a few of the not-so easy rides.
    Recently broke and trained a Touch of the Blues RID mare and very VERY excited about the way that mare took to training and jumping - we went cross country schooling, her second time out with others - and were giving leads over the black pipe jump to horses twice her age. But she is also Irish Draught, which is the purebred, as opposed to the Irish sporthorse, which is more of a type, I guess. If you are looking for a sporthorse, you can basically get anything with at least one Irish parent - that is why many people do select the Irish Draught as they are the purebred and must have purebred parents, and pass inspections, etc. There are other differences I am sure the experts can outline.
    But I really like the RID over the sport horse having ridden a few of both.
    Sophie is by TOTB
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by eventer80 View Post
    So I was under the assumption that the RID would be too heavy for upper level competition and was looking for a TB/RID cross. Am I wrong?
    Yep. Touch of the Blues competed to Intermediate level in England. Take a look at www.manufortifarms.com
    And could have gone further from the scope shown in those pictures! Oh I wouldn't pass up an RID. In the meantime why not have FUN and ride a great horse that will take you right now to something fun. While you ride and train it for that goal.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Sophie is by TOTB
    Oh she is beautiful. How nice! We are so sorry we missed the show but we just couldn't get away this year and with two of us injured it was out of the question.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.............interesting!!!

Keep an eye out for offspring of good Irish mares, too....! my Grade 3 ISH mare was by Kildalton Gold, and produced lovely foals by TB, Trakehner, and Paint stallions. The oldest is competing Training, almost ready for Prelim....

Jennifer

Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport Horses are the way to go. You will generally get more speed from an Irish Draught Sport Horse than from a pure ID.

Go and visit some of the farms. There is a list of breeders on the Irish Draught web page. You will quickly know which lines appeal to you and whether you want a full ID or and IDSH. Temperaments are very different according to the line. My younger daughter owns a Snowford Bellman IDSH. He is a wonderful horse, but very playful. If you take your jacket off and hang it on the fence, it will probably disappear to the far reaches of the pasture, and be covered with muddy hoof prints. My ID is much more serious and would never play keep away games. ID and IDSHs are generally fabulous horses.

What level of eventing do you plan to do? In what part of the country are you located?

Just thought I would chip in even though my two are jumpers and not eventers (although both really would have made excellent eventers if they had gone in that direction... both could easily do high level dressage movements and will go gallop and jump anything in the field that I ask them to; I am teaching one to side pass and he is beginning baby piaffe, and the other could easily advance as well)...

I have two Irish Sport Horses, one by Cavalier Royale and the other by Furisto's Diamond. Both have unbelievable temperaments. Everyone always comments on how sweet and laidback they are, especially for how much jump they have. They are both quick and careful with a ton of scope. The Furisto's Diamond is currently getting back into the swing of things at 1.25m-1.30m, but should be doing 1.40m again by next year, and most likely on to GP toward the end of next summer. The Cavalier Royale was just beginning to go in GPs earlier this year, even though his PSSM issues had not yet been discovered, and will most likely go back to 1.30m, 1.40m by next spring so long as his feet continue to improve from the damage the high levels of NSC did to them.

I have to be very careful with their NSC levels as too much does make them distracted (although for the Cavalier Royale, this is mostly due to his PSSM, although it is said that some ISH do have a higher likelihood of having PSSM/EPSM), but that would probably be my only complaint. I absolutely adore them both and am so lucky to be able to ride such sweet, talented, well-behaved animals.

I had never really considered the ISHs before I had the opportunity to ride these two, but I would absolutely love to work with more of them in the future. After these guys move on to their new homes, I think I would take a talented ISH over another WB breed.

Thanks!! You guys have given me lots to think about!!!

There is a ISH stallion around my area, that I just adore. His name is Flagmount's Freedom. Also, Prescott Farm and a stallion named Braveheart. I need to just go start looking. Anybody have any other farms to recommend? I looked at Acorn Hill and have an email in with them.

I have only ridden Prelim but aspire to do some upper level eventing. My past horses have all been hot OTTB, so I don't mind forward thinking. I just don't want crazy!!

I think the annual Irish Draught inspections are out your way this week. Check the irish draught association website and see if they are convenient to you. The inspections are a great place to see various offspring of your local stallions and to meet the breeders. You can contact the inspection coordinators to find out which breeders are coming to the inspections to make sure it is worth your time.

Quote Originally Posted by eventer80 View Post
    There is a ISH stallion around my area, that I just adore. His name is Flagmount's Freedom. Also, Prescott Farm and a stallion named Braveheart. I need to just go start looking. Anybody have any other farms to recommend? I looked at Acorn Hill and have an email in with them.

I have only ridden Prelim but aspire to do some upper level eventing. My past horses have all been hot OTTB, so I don't mind forward thinking. I just don't want crazy!!
    Braveheart is an eventer - I have a pure bred 09 filly by him - fearless and a complete puppy dog. I had a an IDSH mare by his sire - eventers dream horse - alot of engine, brains, and athleticism (shes the grey on my website before she sold to someone who could really use her). Her sire O'Learys Irish Diamond went PSG in dressage and is now doing great in open Jumpers - KOD line. I will bet the the IDSH stallion you mentioned FF is also KOD line.

The lighter more modern (R)ID may be able to go to the higher levels, but a 3/4 or less ID is probably best for upper levels. Its also easier to keep the IDSH fit necessary for upper levels.

Definitely visit the Irish Draught website and look for breeders/owners in your area. Bravehearts owner is very nice. I think we are a little far for you, but you're always welcome to contact me and there are multiple farms within 2 hours of me.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook