The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Craigslist is bad. UPDATE first post.

Update..... since we had so many well wishers and kind people offering to help.... Saint found a lovely home with a friend of mine who is involved in a great lesson program. He will be used 2x weekly for kids under the age of 8. Little kids have always been his forte, so I am sure he will enjoy all the attention!

I was hoping I'd be able to place him in a private home, but I know this program loves their older horses, and they will take excellent care of him. They just lost one of their much loved beginner horses, so who better to fill the empty stall than this sweet boy.

Thanks again to all who PM'd and emailed offering to help the old boy out.

I need to stop looking.

Just saw a horse I've known for some years, who was retired to a "loving, longterm home" last spring. His former owner really had a hard time making the decision but the home was insistent that they wanted him, adored him and could keep him forever.

He's now listed for sale for $100.

The sad part is this horse has literally earned sainthood. And in his mid-20s, with a few health issues, he's going nowhere good. Now I know people's circumstances change, but really? Craigslist? For $100? Four months after you literally BEG to have him?

Needless to say I'm contacting the former owner. Not sure why they didn't call her in the first place.

Ugh.

Good thing I don't have my own place or it'd be full of these old, retired TBs.
    Last edited by FlashGordon; Oct. 13, 2009 at 06:46 PM.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Hopefully the old owner can take horsie back. Good for you for noticing and doing something.

No, Craigslist is good and thank goodness you were looking. Hoping his owner can take him back
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

Hoping he gets to go back to the owner and to a good home again... poor old gent! He looks like such a sweetheart in the pics, too.

I keep seeing that sweet paint mare at my barn advertised--and horribly mis-advertised--and it's making me mad.

Aww Sarah that little mare sounded lovely. Is she on craigslist now too?

Yes horse in question is as sweet as they come, completely kid broke and totally gentle. Don't find many horses like him. Makes me sad! You hate to see any horse in jeopardy but especially not the really good ones....

FG, you are terrific.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Where is he located? I hope the owners can take him back, that's a horrible thing they did and they should have contacted the previous owner first.
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

JLmet, I'd love to say where he is, and even post the ad, but don't want to publicize it and risk them doing something silly should they get some not-so-kind responses. We know how riled up COTHers can get over these types of things!

I have emailed them and am going to try to establish some communication. If the former owner is unable to take him back for some reason, I would like to try and find somewhere for him to go. Poor old man.

Thanks all for the good wishes, hopefully he'll find a soft place to land.

Gotcha, well, if he's anywhere near me, I cannot take on another horse but I can offer to take and hold him if worse comes to worse and he needs help to get out. Lord only knows where he'll end up for 100.00
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMet View Post
    Gotcha, well, if he's anywhere near me, I cannot take on another horse but I can offer to take and hold him if worse comes to worse and he needs help to get out. Lord only knows where he'll end up for 100.00

You are awesome!!!!

I will PM you the ad.

Craigslist good -- people bad!

We had almost the same thing happen here. A horse my husband sold 6 years ago suddenly appears on CL and in the pic he's happy and healthy. We go look and he's severely malnourished, mouth is full of ulcers from teeth not being done, full of lice (ick!) and absolutely no life in his eyes.

Although older (23) he is now fully back to his normal silly self and loving life. He was bucking around the pasture yesterday like a young dude.

Good on you for taking action!
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

FG, it sounds like that older gentleman would be lovely as a buddy for Little FG. d; Not enabling or anything though...

Yeah, sweet old mare is on Craigslist. Advertised as "loving to exercise in the roundpen." Riiiiiight. With her untreated arthritis, the joint supplement she never gets refills on, and owners who don't bother to show up for vet visits, I bet she's just raring to run around in circles. Argh.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    FG, it sounds like that older gentleman would be lovely as a buddy for Little FG. d; Not enabling or anything though...

Yeah, sweet old mare is on Craigslist. Advertised as "loving to exercise in the roundpen." Riiiiiight. With her untreated arthritis, the joint supplement she never gets refills on, and owners who don't bother to show up for vet visits, I bet she's just raring to run around in circles. Argh.
    Erm, it crossed my mind. Unlike Win, who DESPISES children (and rightfully so, given his history) this guy is the quintessential child's horse. I'd be fine with Little FG hanging out with him. Don't think I can take him but I am sure some little girl would love to have him!!

Poor old paint mare, I will cross my fingers that she too finds a nice home.

OMG I am such a sucker for old horses. Seriously.

Can you tell us what State he is in? I lost my old man today, might could rescue one in his honor.

Aww shea'smom I am so sorry to hear about your old man. Godspeed.

I've PM'd you the ad. Might be a bit far for ya but ya never know.

Aw, Shea'sMom. ((((((HHHUUUGGGSSS))))))

Keep us posted. I hope the old owner can get him back. It is nice and sunny down here though.

Further proof that if you want your aged horse to have a loving and safe retirement, do it yourself.

Reminds me of the November Rain story.
    Every one remember that one- WEG jumper for sale on C'list for $500 after he was all used up?

That guy landed in the perfect place, and is well cared for. Hope this horse can find an equally soft place to land.

Well I am now in contact with the people who have him now, and am also trying to get in touch with the old owner... I am hoping she can take him back but am trying to figure out a plan B if she can't....