The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default finding homes for thoroughbred mares or any challenging horse

I had a friend ask me about placing some TB mares whose owner died...race bred broodmares. I told her basically that if they look like warmbloods those are the ones I would spend time on and I didn't have any suggestions for the mares who were ordinary, blemished, had challenging temperaments, very down hill etc. I didn't say that if they didn't have a home as a race broodmare I would just put them down but that is what I was thinking. I look at rescue web sites and see obviously they are full past bursting. I feel that resources are being spent on horses with no hope of a life placement and most of them should be put down so that horses who are attractive, physically sound and mentally sound might put those resources to better use. What would you have suggested she do to place these mares? Thanks PatO

place adds for them on Pedigree Query

It's really, really hard right now. We have some lovely mares that need homes and are sound, with no real attitude issues but are green.
    We have a lovely 15 year old broodmare that we can't give away, and she's sound and easy to ride.
    Super frustrating

If they are race bred there may be a place for them no matter what their temperments. Race breeders are generally not as picky about conformation as far as movement goes, they still want straight legs and such...but they won't turn down a good blacktype mare for an ugly head. You need to get pedigree info on them, and I agree, post them on pedigreequery...with their registered names. Good luck.

It's a tough TOUGH market for TBs right now - EVEN the "WB looking" ones. We have a big boned, upright, lovely gal WITH experience (fox hunting, jumping, trails, etc) priced pretty dang low and barely any interest at all.

Honestly, I agree with your assessment. If they are lame, have mental issues or other problems ... ugh. Putting them down may be the best option. I have a friend with a very plain TB mare, low set neck, shark wither, small - tiny bone, green, and not 100% sound who was asking me about selling her. I was biting my tongue with the same thought you posted, putting her down.

If she can put some time in the saddle on the sound/sane ones, she may have a shot. Equinenow.com and Horseville.com allow you to do free photo ads (another option). Wish her luck - it's really sad the prices even the super nice, sound, sane ones are going for right now.

I second putting a post up in pedigreequery.com including the registered names of the horses.

I've been looking for particular TBs with specific bloodlines for a couple of months now and although I have found a handful, sellers are looking for too many thousands for them. I don't care whether their minds need a bit of help and rehab so long as their confo is good, are sound, and they are put together not too shabbily. They can be as crazy as they like because I know that once they come here they will settle on down to a calm life. So you see, it takes allsorts and the ones with decent confo and bloodlines could be rehomed. People don't all want the same things from their horses.

Default Pedigree

She is a Boundary daughter out of a Conquistado Cielo mare, So it is not hot fashionable breeding but it is very useful working lines that should do well as a race mare. I am looking for a conformation picture from the owners. Thanks I will suggest they post there. PatO

I agree its hard.. i have a 16.2 dk bay loaded with chrome approved MMB or premium with all the WB registries & facing the same problem. no one wants mares right now TB or not.
    I am hoping the market for mares will turn around.with the youngsters its already going uphill.