The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ideas to Keep Black Show Coat Looking Clean for Show Ring

I am a dirt magnet. Got a show coming up and I'd like to look presentable in the show ring. I can't count on help to hold my coat until ride time so am looking for ideas on how to keep my coat looking clean. It seems to attract every piece of lint, debris, horse hair, etc. that is within a 50 mile radius.

I'm terrible that way and I manage to make it through most of a show season without having to wash my coat (at least not because of how it looks!). Just DO NOT put it on until you are literally completely ready to mount. Put coat on, get on horse. Get off horse, take coat off RIGHT away, before taking bridle off, etc etc.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Get a painter's or artist's smock. They fasten with snaps and are long-sleeved and lightweight. Pull it off right before you go in. If someone snitches it, I do believe they're *quite* cheap, lol.

You always look great!

That said, I turn my coat around and fold it inside out from the shoulder (lengthwise) and then put it somewhere to throw on a few minutes before my ride. Not much to hang it on at Pinehurst, that I can recall, maybe the metal bleachers near the warm-up?

Me? I'll be wearing a black hunt coat circa 10 years and pounds ago--but it's short and won't goose my horse into a bucking fit!
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

I always keep mine in my garment bag until the very last second. In between tests, it goes back in. Also every show I've ever done, since having my mother be my groom, I've paid a teen to groom for me. An essential for the grooming kit I provide them is a lint brush. My mother was so happy when I retired her.

Default Show Coat

I have to warmup in my coat. (If it is hot, my arms are so sweaty I can't get them through the sleeves if I wait until I've warmed my horse up.) And I usually don't have anyone to hold my coat either. You can spray your coat with Scotchguard which will help most things to brush off, but I do what the previous poster does. I fold my coat inside out and take it off by pulling the sleeves inside out. (Which they do on their own when I sweat anyway.) I will hang it up this way, so it can dry out inside for the next day. The coat goes on last before I mount and comes off first when I dismount. From a distance everyone always looks great!

At shows, I'm not allowed to be near my horses until I'm ready to mount. No kissing no hugging no giving treats . And then in between classes, I hung my my show clothings in a plastic portable closet (the cheap kind you get from Walmart) so the dirt won't settle on them.