The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Easy boot pre 2005 vs post 2005

i won a bid for 2 Easyboots on Ebay. They are both size #1, which is what i need. the seller advertised them as both post 2005. they are different tho.

Boot A has a ridge down the center of the clamp, Boot B has no ridge. Boot A has screws holding the clamp onto the boot for easy access to cable repair. Boot B has Rivets holding the clamp in place, so not sure how i could remove it to repair or change a cable.

Does Boot B sound like a pre 2005 easyboot? If so, the seller lied to me. with all costs involved including shipping, i paid $82 for boots that were supposedly used one time each. They both look ok as far as that goes. Both clamps are pretty scratched up, but i don't care much about that.

i just want to know if this seller lied to me and what i should do about it. Can the company swap out the old clamp for a new one? i wonder what the cost would be

Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post
    i won a bid for 2 Easyboots on Ebay. They are both size #1, which is what i need. the seller advertised them as both post 2005. they are different tho.

Boot A has a ridge down the center of the clamp, Boot B has no ridge. Boot A has screws holding the clamp onto the boot for easy access to cable repair. Boot B has Rivets holding the clamp in place, so not sure how i could remove it to repair or change a cable.

Does Boot B sound like a pre 2005 easyboot? If so, the seller lied to me. with all costs involved including shipping, i paid $82 for boots that were supposedly used one time each. They both look ok as far as that goes. Both clamps are pretty scratched up, but i don't care much about that.

i just want to know if this seller lied to me and what i should do about it. Can the company swap out the old clamp for a new one? i wonder what the cost would be
    Yep, boot B is pre-2005, which means you can't easily modify the closure or repair without sending it back to Easycare. If it is alike in all other aspects, you should be able to use it. Gaiters will still fit, and if you can't get plastic covers to fit, you could order a new heel strap. I wonder if Easycare would upgrade it for you?

Don't know what to do about the seller lying to you.

well she emailed me back and said the tack shop sold them to her as post 2005. I told her i would call the company on monday and ask them about it. I can probably wait to see if the cables fit and if so, i'll leave them the way they are until the cable needs changing then send it to the company for an upgrade. IF the cables need to be tightened, i'm not sure i'll give her a good review on ebay, like she is asking me to do. then i'm spending even more money on them, and they are used.

I just noticed that the old style clamp has a hole thru it for the pin. So i'm wondering if the company ended up with extra older style boots and modified the clamp with the hole. It looks like a professional did it, not someone who owned the boots. i'm going to call the company on monday and ask them. i know you cannot upgrade with gaitors on the old boots, right? So if i have an older style, i would not be able to. Ugh. Ebay. I probably should have just bought new Easyboots.
    Last edited by Nezzy; Aug. 29, 2009 at 01:41 PM.