The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lunging Attachment

Has anyone used this and found it to be effective? It's the little y-shaped strap that attaches to the bit and then has a ring the lunge line can be attached to. I've always run the lunge line through the bit, over the head, down the other side and through the bit. I've seen these advertised and I guess I'm getting lazy in my old age. I really don't want to go with a lunge caveson as I don't plan to lunge the horse for more than 15 minutes a couple of times a week just to keep him in better shape.

This is it:

http://equestrian.doversaddlery.com/...ttachment&idc=[[SLI_IDC]]&ids=538528060
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I've used one. It does make it easier to turn the horse around without unattaching and reattaching.

I don't really care for it though since it directly pulls on the bit in the horse's mouth. Pretty harsh.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    I've used one. It does make it easier to turn the horse around without unattaching and reattaching.

I don't really care for it though since it directly pulls on the bit in the horse's mouth. Pretty harsh.
    I think that is my main concern with it. The method I've always used pulls the bit UP in their mouth and the lunging attachment I would think pulls the bit DOWN in their mouth.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Default Lunging Strap

I just bought a bunch of them at The Equestrian Shoppe in North Andover, MA for like a dollar. They had a bucket of them.

They look more like this though ...
    http://www.dressageextensions.com/Pr....asp?KEY=22742

i have found the best way to lunge if you don't have a cavesson is to loop the line around the bit ring and the noseband. This way you don't pull on the mouth.

the over the top of the head is a very severe way to attach a lunge line.

mbm- the way you are referring to, is that like in the same manner as over the poll, but just over the noseband instead? Or, clarify please

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    i have found the best way to lunge if you don't have a cavesson is to loop the line around the bit ring and the noseband. This way you don't pull on the mouth.

Hm, I was always taught that way by several trainers. But, I think I understand what you are saying.

The line has to go into bit ring first, then looped through the noseband, and then hooked back to bit ring, therefore putting the pressure on the noseband and not the bit. I'm just guessing on where the snap actually attaches or is hooked. Is that what you are saying?
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by rocky213 View Post
    I just bought a bunch of them at The Equestrian Shoppe in North Andover, MA for like a dollar. They had a bucket of them.

They look more like this though ...
    http://www.dressageextensions.com/Pr....asp?KEY=22742
    With the padded neoprene strap, that looks like it could go over the nose actually. Is it long enough to do that? That would eliminate the downward pressure on the bit if that is so.
    Sue

I don't like longing in bridles at all as they aren't made for that. When I check the tongues on my buckles, they are often bent, I think from the longeing.

That said, I have used the attachment and like it but mine has a pokey thing on the snap that my horse can grab with his lip and undo (of course).

Now I only longe a few times a year when I need him to focus on me for some reason.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierBoy96 View Post
    mbm- the way you are referring to, is that like in the same manner as over the poll, but just over the noseband instead? Or, clarify please

take the end of the lunge line, thread it thru the bit ring, up under the noseband (should go in front of the cheek piece) then snap it back to itself (not the bit)... so it loops around the bit ring and the noseband - so in effect you will be putting pressure on the noseband and not the bit. I loop thru the bit ring just to keep it in place ...

if you have the klimke young horse book you can see what i mean as it is one of the options they show.

I have found this works eve for the most unruly horse

The USDF teaches in their Advanced Lungeing workshop to loop it once through the inside bit ring and then clip it to the outside bit ring. I completely agree that going over the head is very severe, as it turns your snaffle into a gag. Similarly, the Y attachment turns your bit into a nutcracker, pushing on the roof of the mouth.

Glad to see this conversation, because most of the people that I see lunge tend to do it in a harsh way, without even knowing how much they are hurting their horses.

take the end of the lunge line, thread it thru the bit ring, up under the noseband (should go in front of the cheek piece) then snap it back to itself (not the bit)...
    What a great piece of knowledge! Would you need a chain on the end of the lunge line? I'm not sure how I could snap my lunge back to itself with the webbing...

take the end of the lunge line, thread it thru the bit ring, up under the noseband (should go in front of the cheek piece) then snap it back to itself (not the bit)... so it loops around the bit ring and the noseband - so in effect you will be putting pressure on the noseband and not the bit. I loop thru the bit ring just to keep it in place ...
    Ok, BUT with the lunge line I have, there is no way to 'snap it back onto itself'. Mine just has a snap at the end. It doesn't have a chain as some do. This horse is a saint in the first place and when he gets gas colic episodes, I just put him on the lunge line in his halter (god forbid like the hunter people do). And I'm not a hunter person.

I don't ride anymore but I'd like my guy to get some exercise and use himself, which is why he is being lunged in a bridle WITH side reins. He's built a bit low and long in the back and I'd really like him NOT to get swaybacked if I can help it.

If I thought it would work, I'd try to put his halter on OVER his bridle and hook the side reins as usual to the bit, but I think the halter would be in the way.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by CapitolDesign View Post
    The USDF teaches in their Advanced Lungeing workshop to loop it once through the inside bit ring and then clip it to the outside bit ring. I completely agree that going over the head is very severe, as it turns your snaffle into a gag. Similarly, the Y attachment turns your bit into a nutcracker, pushing on the roof of the mouth.

Glad to see this conversation, because most of the people that I see lunge tend to do it in a harsh way, without even knowing how much they are hurting their horses.
    OK, if you go through the inside bit ring, are you going under the jaw to clip it to the outside bit ring. In other words, how are you getting to the outside ring?
    Sue

if your lunge line is too thick, then use a piece of leather (unused flash?) to lop around the bit ring/noseband and hook the lunge line to that.

ie; get creative!

a chain might be too heavy....

eta: i have lunged with sidereins but using a halter.... it works really well !

eta again: when i lunge i want to stay away from damaging my horses mouth.... so i don't want any tension there except for the side reins .... so i would not loop back to the o/s bit ring - not even if USDF said it was the correct way

if your lunge line is too thick, then use a piece of leather (unused flash?) to lop around the bit ring/noseband and hook the lunge line to that.

ie; get creative!

a chain might be too heavy....

eta: i have lunged with sidereins but using a halter.... it works really well !

eta again: when i lunge i want to stay away from damaging my horses mouth.... so i don't want any tension there except for the side reins .... so i would not loop back to the o/s bit ring - not even if USDF said it was the correct way
    I know I have several unused flashes and I like that idea. Now for it to get a bit cooler and less muggy and I'll get my boy working again. Well, at least with the idea of working.

Thanks for the suggestion.

PS. If nothing else, you just saved me a few dollars as well.
    Sue

I had a small-diameter rope halter made, with a loop on the noseband, that I use as a lungeing cavesson. Actually, it has a fiador knot below the jaw, too.

At any rate, I put it on first, then the bridle. It doesn't interfere in any way. I lunge first sometimes, or work in hand. When I'm ready to ride, I remove the lunge line. No hardware on either the rope halter or lunge line.

I ALWAYS use a cavesson.
    You should never longe with the line attached to the bit.

As already noted, those attachments are heavy and pull the bit down. Ouch.
    Over the head pulls the bit up. Ouch.
    Never seen the through the bit to the noseband.

If you don't have a proper cavesson, put a snug halter on over the bridle.

How can a horse gain confidence and accept the bit if the line is attached to it?

The USDF recommends that you put the line through the center of the inside bit ring, bring it under the bottom part of the ring and then through the center again. Extend the line under the horse's chin and then snap to the bottom of the outside bit ring. Especially with an outside side rein attached, there really is no severe action on the face ESPECIALLY if you are lungeing properly and your horse is trained to w/t/c on a circle, with respect for voice, light line and whip aids.

Red face Still confused... :S

Anyone have any PICTURES of what they are talking about? I read through many of the postings a couple of times and still can't visualize what they're describing.
    Designer Sport Ponies...never go out of style!
    **Breeding quality riding ponies for dressage and sport**
    www.designersportponies.com - UNDER CONSTRUCTION