The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default TAKEN 3-year old Hanoverian Gelding needs home - NH - TAKEN

The horse has found a wonderful new home. THANK YOU.

I have a cute 3-year old Hanoverian (out of approved TB mare, has full Hanoverian papers) gelding that needs to find a hew home. There is something not quite right with his right hind. He was a little off last summer as a 2-year old but then it got better. (no treatment, just got better after a couple of weeks so I didn't think anything of it) This spring the problem came back - I was about to start breaking and training him when I realized that he is a bit off. He also started to lose condition and muscle. He was checked out at the hospital/clinic and they found nothing wrong with him ($1500 in diagnostics, x-rays, ultrasounds, nerve blocks). They could not even say which area of the leg was the problem (flexed inconsistently, he was there for 3 days with 3 different results on the flexions and nerve blocks).
    They told me only with a bone scan they could hopefully figure it out. I can't spend that much money, so I gave him stall rest for 4 weeks to see if that would help. It didn't do much for him, so he is back out to pasture.
    He is also sometimes a bit uncoordinated and stumbles more than the other horses. He fell down a couple of times this year as well.
    He sometimes has little "episodes" of acting strange and occasionally kicks out with a front leg. It doesn't seem aggressive, just strange. He is not an unsafe horse as far as his personality/temperament but he just does weird things sometimes. I am fine handling him, but I have some less experienced people take care of the horses/farm sometimes and I am afraid that this guy might accidentally hurt somebody. My husband put his foot down and said that I must get rid of him or put him down, which is not what I would want to do. He must find a home within the next month or two.
    He is a nice mover and is very handsome. He is a 16.1hh chestnut with a blaze and no leg markings. He gets along with other horses. He has free jumped up to 3'6" (during his second session over fences) and he has a very nice balanced canter. He trailers/loads fine, he doesn't like being hosed. He cross-ties and is ok with vet, goes barefoot right now. He is ok for trims but not perfect. (needs to work on standing still)
    He is really a pleasant sweet horse and I think if somebody can find out what is wrong with him and treat it he could be a nice sporthorse for hunters or dressage. I don't have money/time to take care of him and my husband wants him gone "yesterday".
    Please PM me or e-mail me at bbzu12@gmail.com for more information, pictures and VIDEOS.
    Last edited by CenterlineGirl2; Aug. 27, 2009 at 05:05 PM.

This sounds sucspiciouly like EPM to me, hope you find someone that can take him and treat him if so

Smile Yes it does

This horse sounds neurologic poss EPM??? ... You should have a vet take another quick peak... EPM is treatable but you have to do it fast. There are also other equine neuro conditions (obviously) which present the same episodes

Thanks for the advice. I also thought that it might be EPM. But compared to some confirmed EPM horses I have seen, this guy's symptoms would be very mild. I wish I could spend more money on diagnostics, but I have another horse that I already spent a lot of money on (hock issues, will possibly need surgery) and also a mare that took a lot of money/time to get pregnant, so my husband will not spend any more money on horses now (understandably so). Especially since this guy is not a prospect for me (I ride dressage and he is not fancy enough to do serious FEI work) so my husband sees no reason to try to fix him. He was originally going to be my husband's horse, but ended up not big enough and how he has this issue. Also, my husband doesn't really get along with him that well in general, so I really need to just find him a home. But hopefully the new owner can figure out what is wrong with him, I would really like to see this guy become a usable horse, he is sweet and cute and quite talented for both hunter/jumper or mid-level dressage.

Quote Originally Posted by CenterlineGirl2 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I also thought that it might be EPM. But compared to some confirmed EPM horses I have seen, this guy's symptoms would be very mild. I wish I could spend more money on diagnostics, but I have another horse that I already spent a lot of money on (hock issues, will possibly need surgery) and also a mare that took a lot of money/time to get pregnant, so my husband will not spend any more money on horses now (understandably so). Especially since this guy is not a prospect for me (I ride dressage and he is not fancy enough to do serious FEI work) so my husband sees no reason to try to fix him. He was originally going to be my husband's horse, but ended up not big enough and how he has this issue. Also, my husband doesn't really get along with him that well in general, so I really need to just find him a home. But hopefully the new owner can figure out what is wrong with him, I would really like to see this guy become a usable horse, he is sweet and cute and quite talented for both hunter/jumper or mid-level dressage.

If he is young and it is just starting it would be mild compared to the extreme diagnosed cases that you may have already seen. I hope you find someone for him.

Default UPDATE

So I was advised that I should do "field" neurological tests on this gelding to determine if he has any neurological problems. It appears that he is fine.
    I put a towel over his head and led him around and did circles and besides shaking from being terrified of not seeing where he was going he was totally fine and had complete awareness of his legs and body. I also made him turn in a small circle and he was fine. I also pulled on his tail while he was walking and tried pretty hard to get him to lose balance and he was fine.
    So I think whatever weirdo things he was doing are probably goofy young horse things and not actually a serious problem.

Hopefully somebody can take him as my husband is threatening to send him to an auction if I don't find him a home within the next few weeks.
    Help!

Well I hope he doesn't have EPM, but the description of what he's doing (stumbling behind, slightly "uncoordinated") sounds exactly like my TB, who was so mildly affected that a neuro exam in June showed a 0 grade...we just put him down this week. He became Grade 4 neurological within a week of testing positive for EPM antibodies, and was put on Marquis and support meds immediately, but did not respond So I advise having your horse at least blood tested for EPM, and then having the vet match symptoms with blood tests and see if there's a possibility. Another possibility for a young, large horse is Wobblers. Diagnosis requires xray of the cervical spine and then myleograms...

Totally agree with the previous posters who suggested that field neurological tests might not pinpoint EPM. My horse showed barely any neurological symptoms, but my vet was suspicious about how jumpy and sensitive she was, combined with how she was moving behind. In the past, whenever she was keyed up about something, she would swing her hind legs out and walk really wide behind. So I thought it was just her being goofy. Nope. Her EPM bloodwork came back very, very positive.

I understand the position you're in, and having a bunch of internet strangers telling you to try something else probably isn't very helpful at all. I just wanted to share my experience, since I was convinced it was not EPM in my horse's case, but willing to test to rule it out. Of course, in your case, knowing it's EPM probably isn't super helpful, since it's so expensive to treat!

It sounds like Lyme, EPM, or possibly wobblers. I would get blood tests done; I find it hard to believe that was not the FIRST thing the vets did at the clinic before recommending expensive bone scans, etc.

He was at the clinic to be checked out for a lameness issue. I don't see why they would even think about checking him for wobblers/lyme/epm as he appeared just fine, except slightly off. He didn't do anything weird while at the clinic.
    I remember he was also sedated there and they were trying to inject his stifle to do nerve blocks. They were able to do 2 compartments of the stifle, but for the third one he would not let them get near. They had him ear twisted, twitched and slightly sedated and he was able to kick out with that hind leg (was sick sick sick of needles at that point) and stay quite balanced.
    So really there was no symptoms that would suggest anything neuro.
    I only thought about it recently that maybe something is off with him since they found no reason for lameness and he is so goofy. (bumps his head a lot, stumbles, has slipped and fallen a couple of times) But at the same time he can run around like a maniac in his pasture and buck like crazy and has no problems.
    I have only had two people e-mail me so far. Please somebody take care of this sweet guy, there is no talking to my husband (after thousands spent this year in vet bills for this horse and others).
    Last edited by CenterlineGirl2; Aug. 21, 2009 at 11:55 AM.

EMND is also possible. Will involve a blood test, but the falling, whihc is not normal young horse behaviour, stumbling, low end neuro now and again are symptoms of episodes. I had to put my guy down last year because of this. Something is wrong somewhere...as harsh as this may be, I would put him down before sending him to a sale and having him end up somewhere that can't treat him or doesn't recognize it. Risk to both horse and human and thats not really fair. Hopefully, someone here will step up for him.

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

Regardless of the field neuro tests, falling is a neuro symptom that cannot be ignored and it is NOT a subtle symptom.
    It's a shame that because your vets are not supporting and diagnosing him correctly you are being pressured to give him away.

Perhaps if you posted pics and a pedigree someone here would think he was worth taking on and be willing to treat him.

BTW, right now, I have one horse on stall rest, with a catheter, getting IV antibiotics for Lyme. Cost will most likely be close to $1700 for the month in meds, vet visits and stall rest. I have another getting a month of Marquis and transfer factor for EPM. over $1000 in meds alone.
    Sometimes, you just have to suck it up because the horse is sick and needs help.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Not sure if this is possible but being as he is registered is there a university that you could donate him to. He would get all the medical help he needs and you would get the tax write off. Horse being treated, Husband happy. Maybe something you could look into
    If you wish to see what man made take a drive. If you wish to see what god created saddle up your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by blaeberry001 View Post
    Not sure if this is possible but being as he is registered is there a university that you could donate him to. He would get all the medical help he needs and you would get the tax write off. Horse being treated, Husband happy. Maybe something you could look into
    That is the fairy tale version. Frequently when you donate a horse to a university they use them for experiments or euthanize and do necropsies on them. But, you know, at least you get the tax write off

Why don't you at least post his pedigree? Someone over on the breeding forum may have a connection to him and not want to see him end up at the auction.

I have a soft spot for Hanoverians but I'm just not in a position to take him on right now.

I don't know how to post a picture, but I would be happy to do so. Maybe I could e-mail it to somebody who can post it?
    He is by Prince Optimus out of an AHS approved TB mare (nice mare). Prince optimus is an older type hanoverian owned by Elandale Farm.
    Like I said in the OP, I would be happy to give links to a video by e-mail.

A quick search of the farm name over on Sporthorse breeding shows that the stallion owner posts on here under the name elandalefarm. Maybe you could pm her and see if she is willing to help.

Prince Optimus is an older stallion but not an older type.

I bred a TB mare to him and got a very lovely modern offspring.

Sorry to sound like a broken record after all the other posts, but I am assuming you did mention neuro symptoms (i.e. falling) to your vets? Not to mention, I find it hard to believe that after an inconclusive series of hind leg blocks, they didn't at least want to explore neuro issues. After all you've gone through with this horse, $200 for an EPM blood test seems like a drop in the bucket and it is quick, easy, and fairly reliable. Please do your horse this favor before bringing him to auction. He could really hurt someone (or himself) if he appears to be okay most of the time and only has these episodes occasionally.

Good Lord, you guys.

The horse is posted as a giveaway with an in-depth disclosure.

If you are interested in the risk, and YOU think the horse has EPM/Lyme, take the FREE horse and run the $200 test yourself.

The OP has been honest about not being able to be financially or emotionally vested. Clearly she cares enough to do a disclosure on a giveaway COTH board as a giveaway rather than auction!

If you are interested, you might contact her and ask to speak with her vet rather than chastise her for not running more tests!