The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Will mice poison kill groundhogs?

I lent my hav-a-hart trap to my blacksmith, and a month later some groundhogs moved in under a run in shed. I tossed chunks of mouse poison down the holes, but I'm not sure if it will be effective. I've never actually seen the groundhogs, just the 2 holes. Will it work?

groundhogs are pretty much herbivores so I'm not sure that mouse poison will work the best for you.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

mice are herbivores. Rats also dig large holes so you might have either animal

if the poison is broudifacoumb ( warferin) yes it can kill anything that eats it, including dogs cats and birds of prey. Some of them are strong enough that if the off target animal eats a dead or dieing target animal the poison can kill secondarily.

I would never use it
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

Yes, but mine never ate it. We had to bait a live trap which I asked about here. apples, lettuce and petunias were suggested
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Bubblegum. Bazooka Joe works well. But it's kinda mean.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Bubble gum will kill them or bait a trap with bubble gum?

It will kill them if they eat it - not sure if they'd like it or not. But mice and other little mammals will move the poison around, stashing it in multiple places around your property. Then it will also kill any other small mammal that finds it, including kids. Most of them look like little green candies. I hate the stuff and would never allow it on my property. Just my .02.

Save any cat droppings from the litter pans or dog droppings in the yard and dump them down the woodchuck holes, then fill and seal with stone fines, holes are filled in and not a hazard since the stone fines get like cement. Woodchucks are prey animals and the smell of a predator will send them looking for a new home. I have used this method for 30 years and it works every time on my VERY rural property.

Quote Originally Posted by hoopoe View Post

if the poison is broudifacoumb ( warferin) yes it can kill anything that eats it, including dogs cats and birds of prey. Some of them are strong enough that if the off target animal eats a dead or dieing target animal the poison can kill secondarily.

I would never use it
    Exactly... I've seen one too many dogs die from warfarin at the vet's office

Quote Originally Posted by gng View Post
    Save any cat droppings from the litter pans or dog droppings in the yard and dump them down the woodchuck holes, then fill and seal with stone fines, holes are filled in and not a hazard since the stone fines get like cement. Woodchucks are prey animals and the smell of a predator will send them looking for a new home. I have used this method for 30 years and it works every time on my VERY rural property.
    Me too, it really does work!