The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Broken zipper pulls

I ride in my tall boots all the time. Last week, I went to zip one and the pull part broke. The same thing happened on DD's half chaps. Other than a paper clip (the current solution) what else can I get to repair these? I've tried the ones at the fabric store, but they're not heavy enough to hold up to the pulling I need to do.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

When the zippers on my Ariat paddock boots broke I wrote the company. I let them know that I had been a long time customer and expected better from their company. They sent me a shipping bag to send my boots away to a place to be repaired. Took a few weeks but I had them back with nice, brand new zippers and I didn't have to pay a dime for it. If you check with the company who made your boots, they may not replace them for free like Ariat did, but I would bet they have a repair facility they use.

I've had this happen on my chaps. It seems such a waste to pay for a new zipper. The first time I used picture frame hanging wire. I threaded it through, no easy feat, and twisted it into a long tail, about 1 1/2 inches and then wrapped some electrical tape around it. Worked pretty well, had to watch out for little wires poking through (ouch) and
    eventually it broke. Then I found nylon frame hanging wire. Its pretty heavy duty, easier
    to thread through and just tied a bunch of knots before wrapping tape around it. So far
    this works the best. Good luck!
    Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare

You don't have to put a whole new zipper in. You can go to pretty much any cobbler/shoe maker and they'll be able to just clip a new zipper pull on and its good as new!
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. Explore. Dream. Discover.
    ~Mark Twain

Haha, I've had a paper clip wrapped with electrical tape on my chaps for years!! I bought them used, and I got them for virtually nothing because the pull was broken on one side. They're dark grey, so the tape blends in and you can't even tell unless you're right on top of them. Now, if only I could get skinny enough to wear them again!

I used one of those heavy wire paper clips. The tape keeps the clip from pulling apart. I've never changed the paper clip. I've probably had the chaps for 15 years. Unfortunately they've been sitting in my closet for most of that time.

I have a paper clip with duct tape. It works.

Or you could try this:
    http://diyfashion.about.com/od/diyac...ZipperPull.htm

A company called NuShoes repaired the zippers on both of my Ariat boots. I dont know what brand your boots are. But maybe NuShoes would repair your boots.

Most dry cleaners do simple repairs as well. I had the same thing happen and for $8, had it fixed in 3 days. It's probably easier to do that than to try and contact the company. Though if the whole zipper is the problem, I second contacting the company, especially if it is Ariat.

this happens to me all the time. i hate it! i must pull too hard and they snap in half.
    i have taken the strings they give you at horse shows and fed two through the little hole. it fits because they have a hard sealed off end that will go through the little hole.
    then i braid a tab approx two inches long and then cut the strings from the horseshow number and knot the ends together. it works really well. the paper clips i find scratch my saddle.
    i dont know why they make these tabs from cheasy flimpsy plastic. they should not break! if you dont make your chaps tight, they will start sliding down and get too loose and then i get rubs. so in order to get a good fit, you have to have tight chaps that need to be pulled down with the tab. so it needs to be strong. but they are cheap plastic.

I have gone the paper clip route in the past--lasted for several years! I prefer the string way that TSWJB mentioned. I get cheap shoelaces, feed one end through, and then just knot it. I cut off the excess.

Metal rings that are used to put keys on last longer than paper clips. Can get them at any hardware store. Just thread them through the zipper as though it was a key....
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller