The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sore neck after chiropractic work-UPDATE

UPDATE - I went to get my other horse to ride, who also had a shot of IM Glucosamine Friday and today his neck is very swollen. Apparently it is either a bad bottle of Glucosamine or bad needles. Both were ordered from a vet. Pretty scary...

My horse had chiropractic work yesterday evening. He had virtually nothing wrong this time. This was his second visit with the chiro, put before I had him, she had worked on him several times.

This morning I could tell his was in pain. He could not bend his neck to graze or drink water. He'd eat hay from the rack b/c it was higher up.

I have never had this happen. I've used the chiro for several years. There was nothing out in his neck and only a small adjustment in the pelvis, which was maintenance.

Anyone experience this with their horse. The other thing was I gave an IM glucosamine shot later that evening. I've been giving him that regularly, so I doubt that was an issue. My other horse got it too and no problems.

I gave him 2g of bute this evening. Anything else I can do for him? I'f he's still sore tomorrow, I'll call the chiro.
    Last edited by Serigraph; Jul. 19, 2009 at 02:23 PM.

Hmm, chiro work tends to focus too much on the subluxation and not enough on tight muscles that cause the subluxations to begin with in most cases. If the muscles are forced in any way, it can cause increased and prolonged soreness.

Ideally warm the horse up before you have any chiro work done so the muscles are warm and may release more easily. Better yet, have the horse massaged first and then adjusted. Often this alone corrects some subluxations. If more needs to be done, the chiro can then address the remaining issues and it tends to be easier on the body and the chiro, plus it will be longer lasting.

He didn't have any subluxations anywhere. It was a short visit...not much to do on him

Well then perhaps the soreness came from something else?

I had this problem. Had two horses done, Horse A was just a maintenance visit and Horse B had issue that needed to be worked on. The day after the chiro work Horse A couldn't even take a step he was so sore all over while Horse B was perfectly fine. I gave 2 grams of bute and was going to call the vet the next day if no improvement. Bute did the trick. Hope it works fo you too. Good luck!
    '10 Dolce Latte G - Thoroughbred Mare (chestnut at that!)
    '12 Genever - KWPN/Thoroughbred Mare

Turningpoint - how weird. That is similar to my horse. On his first visit, he had lots of issues. Now after a few months and in regular work, he had almost nothing to be worked on. The first time with all the adjustments, he was just fine the next day and this time with little if any adjustments, he's sore...weird.

I gave him bute with his dinner tonight. He's just standing out in the pasture wanting to graze, but won't lower his head. I hope the bute kicks in.

I don't know much about chiro but I noticed you wrote he had his pelvis adjusted.

When he tries to graze or turn his head he is (I think) using the muscles and ligaments connecting to his pelvis/lower back. Can't remember the names of the muscles but if you look up an anatomy chart you should be able to tell.

Anyway - I guess he could just be a little sore and I hope the bute works and he's A-OK tomorrow. But if not I'd have the vet out asap. Nerve impingement can be excruciating.

Well as of a little while ago, he has started to graze. And I saw him drink from the water trough. He definitely is still sore though. He can't really shake his head when the files bother him.

JSwan, I was wondering about the connection with the pelvis. This morning though his neck was tender to the touch, so I assumed it was mainly his neck that was bothering him, but probably his whole body.

BTW- what do you do for nerve impingement?

That sounds like what happens to my horse every spring for shots. She is wicked sore the next morning and won't put her head down to eat hay. We know she is sensitive, so we break up her shots and also give her banamine to help it. So I'm leaning towards it was the shot.

I've had my horses adjusted for years and never had a problem, but like others said, there are things that could probably have happened. It just seems coincidental that he got a shot in his neck too, and that's what my horse always reacts to.

Just throwing that out there! Good Luck!

[QUOTE=Serigraph;4246127 I was wondering about the connection with the pelvis. This morning though his neck was tender to the touch, so I assumed it was mainly his neck that was bothering him, but probably his whole body.

BTW- what do you do for nerve impingement?[/QUOTE]

Remove whatever is impinging on the nerve. Gotta figure out what it is first though.

But it was just a shot in the dark based on a rudimentary knowledge of equine anatomy and regular beatings from my old dressage instructor. You'll want to rely on your vet. I'd be suspicious of the shot too. Maybe just sore - but watch for signs of an abscess.

Hope he feels better soon.

Default Check out your Chiro

This does not sound right. CORRECT chiropractic care should not cause pain like you describe. Please make sure your chiro is either a DVM or DC and has been through a post graduate animal chiropractic course. After that course they can then be tested and certified through the AVCA (American Veterinary Chiropractic Assn) or the IVCA ( International VCA). You can search their websites to check certifications.

Unfortunately, there are ALOT of untrained people out there calling themselves animal chiropractors that are damaging animals -often permanently- .

I have no idea the quality of care your horse is receiving-just felt I needed to educate anyone out there looking for chiropractic care that there are ways to check credentials before you allow someone to work on your animal.

That being said- the neck pain could very well be from the injection.

I'd be more suspicious of the shot, if his neck was not adjusted. If there was something seriously wrong from an adjustment it is unlikely that a gram of bute would make any difference at all.

FWIW, some of my older horses have not done well w/chiro.. too much arthritis here and there.. adjusting an arthritic area/issue can cause a lot of residual pain. Otherwise my younger horses are big fans
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

The chiro I use is a DVM and I've been using her for a few years for my other horse with great success.

Any idea why a shot might have caused this? This is a shot that I have been giving 1x week for the last month with no problems.

She did flex the neck, but didn't do the usual adjustment I've seen in the past and said he had nothing out in the neck.

How's you're boy this morning? Hoping the bute helped and he's comfortable.
    '10 Dolce Latte G - Thoroughbred Mare (chestnut at that!)
    '12 Genever - KWPN/Thoroughbred Mare

Quote Originally Posted by Serigraph View Post

Any idea why a shot might have caused this? This is a shot that I have been giving 1x week for the last month with no problems.
    It could have caused an infection/reaction? How is your horse today?

He looks good this morning. He's grazing and moving around normally. Thank you guys for asking!

BTW- maybe another thread I need to start, but since I give IM glucosamine regularly, does anyone know how to prevent something like this (if it was the shot) besides making sure the area is very clean?

I give spring and fall shots too and never a problem.

There is no telling sometimes w/shots. Sometimes it's that the actual location was not ideal and creates muscle soreness, sometimes it's that the site actually becomes infected and abcesses...

I know everytime I get a shot, it's sore for a few days. Sometimes more or less, depending on what it was. Maybe try giving it in his chest/pec next time.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Thanks EqT & others. Well I took a closer look since he'd let me get near his neck and it does appear it was probably the shot causing the soreness - there is some swelling near the shot area.

I guess next time I may try a different area.