The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 1st Day of cubbing

We started cubbing at 7 this morning. Hounds got on a run early. They hunted hard again later after check and a move to new covert. It got warm fast, poor scenting, huntsman's horse pulled a shoe, called it a day. Afterwards, we had a wonderful blueberry pancake breakfast and linger at the clubhouse. Starting the day at 4 am . . . 2 pm feels like nap time. Come join us for Hunt Week in August.
    Sheila Grymes
    whipper-in, Green Creek Hounds

I'm so jealous. our cubbing starts late Sept, still too hot here.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

We are in western NC. Trust me, it's warm out! We walk hounds (Field invited) in June, start cubbing mid July and go formal in early Nov. We end it all late Feb early March. Makes for a long year, but it's the best "dollar per outing" value out there.

We hunt from October through March. After that the heat and humidity are just stifling.
    We lost a hound to heat stroke one year in January so we are very leery of the heat.
    I was actually in Virginia over the weekend and in Aiken yesterday. It was warm but not terrible.
    We also walk out hounds on foot year round, members may come and help if they like and it is encouraged, closer to hunt season we also start taking them out mounted but our JtMFH/Huntsman generally prefers only staff for that. I'm a whipper in also, so I get out with the hounds a fair amount during the off season, but I am getting to that point in the summer where I start missing hunting again

The pancake part sounds pretty good too LOL
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Default That is one thing I really miss about England.

Cubbing is amazing,by far the best time of year for me.

Training young hounds and green horses,beautiful weather.Learning the "ins and outs" of all the coverts.

I have not come across anything like it here.

That was 30 years ago,with the [B]new era/B],cubbing is probably not the same.

I also miss "hound exercising",out roading for an hour at a time at a "hound jog"on the roads..
    \"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound\".

I'm jealous! Cubbing doesn't begin for us until the middle of August. I'm very excited and can hardly wait!

Beginning of September here. I am jealous, too!

Jaegermonster,
    It was a wonderful morning - the pancakes (and the sausage) may have been the best part. I vote for an annual blueberry pancake breakfast. We ate and lingered and ate. For those of us still trying to earn a living, it seemed a lot like a Sunday, so it's been Monday all day!