The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Really Bad Advertising...

The other day while stumbling across a popular social networking site, I came across pictures posted by a trainer I know casually but have never ridden with.

This trainer is youngish and naive, but seems like a great beginner/intermediate trainer.

That said, she has albums upon albums of her riding clients horses, and...well...."advertising" things that one wouldn't want to spread around. Her position is great, but most of the animals jump like...deer...or worse. GM would probably have them sent to Alpo. Knees pointed straight at the ground, etc.

How do you subtly tell someone that they probably don't want to be posting something like that over the internet?

(Additionally, I could mind my own business and just continue laughing, but I'm trying to be helpful)
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

I'm not sure that would qualify as good karma?

Quote Originally Posted by Seven-up View Post
    I'm not sure that would qualify as good karma?
    Well, trying to be helpful then. I am trying to be helpful.
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

Well, maybe it's just the way I'm looking at it, but it kind of seems like going up to someone you don't really know and saying, "Listen, that dress makes you look like a cow. Your thighs are jiggling and I can see every single curd of cottage cheese in your ass."

Maybe the intention is to help a chunky lady dress better, but it comes off in a completely different way. Know what I mean?

If this chick doesn't know that the pictures aren't showing off the horses well, then maybe her potential clients should be aware of that. Say you help her pick out the best pics. If she didn't know they were bad in the first place, she probably lacks some training skills, and you could be helping her get clients that will end up with horses jumping like deer. And wouldn't that be bad karma?

If this chick doesn't know that the pictures aren't showing off the horses well, then maybe her potential clients should be aware of that. Say you help her pick out the best pics. If she didn't know they were bad in the first place, she probably lacks some training skills, and you could be helping her get clients that will end up with horses jumping like deer. And wouldn't that be bad karma?
    That was kind of my thought process as well- but none of these were her purchases, and she really does ride and teach quite well.
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

Right, but if she doesn't know a horse isn't supposed to look like that, maybe she shouldn't be training?

Seems like a MYOB kind of thing. Still seems like you'd be helping her pull the wool over other peoples' eyes. But that's just me.

Right, but if she doesn't know a horse isn't supposed to look like that, maybe she shouldn't be training?

Seems like a MYOB kind of thing. Still seems like you'd be helping her pull the wool over other peoples' eyes. But that's just me.
    Maybe she does know a horse isn't supposed to look like that, but it is all she has been giving to ride. Older and wiser means knowing that just because it is all you have to show people doesn't mean you should show it (pictures, not horses). To the OP, if you are ready to accept the MYOB response, offer some advice. Sounds like you are well intentioned.

For what it's worth, IMO you should let the woman be. There are plenty of "trainers" out there who shouldn't be teaching or training & marketing horses. Albeit, this person may be misrepresenting herself on the web, as long as her horses are properly cared for, her business is not anyone else's business, is it? (not intended to sound snarky)

Jumpers4Life80 Guest

Default I see it all the time....

I'm not sure what "other" things she might be advertising but as far as her pictures it would depend on what level the horses are and if their faults are confomation defects or something else. If you have been around this trainer at shows (or wherever) and her horse care is good, safety of horse and rider is looked out for and her riders/horses do ok then I would just let her be.
    If she is just starting out that might be all she has to post and if all she is doing is low key local circuit stuff then thats fine for now.
    If she has no idea that these are faults then she shouldn't be a trainer but unless you talk to her you won't know. You could always ask casually about the horses she rides.

Pirateer,
    Sometimes you remind me of me a few years ago: there is black and there is white. There seems to very rarely be an acceptable gray level for you in most of your posts. But in this case, I think opening your mouth doesn't help anyone. This is for sure a grey area! If the trainer in question seems knowledgeable(sp?) and competent then she may be doing the best with what she has. As her reputation precedes her she will get better animals (hopefully) to ride and her pictures will improve. Sticking your nose in just makes you look like a slightly creepy on line stalker. I'm sure this girl is trying her best with what her customers can afford.
    Can you stress-fracture your brain?

Well, I gather these pics are either from facebook, myspace or similar. She's neither selling the horses nor herself, just sharing with friends.

Perhaps the horses are not great but you mentioned that she looks just fine riding them. If I was to come across a trainer who posted numerous pics of themselves looking like a monkey humping a football (and not for a joke, we have all had bad trips and bad shots) then that would possibly make her look bad.

If she looks good enough why bother. She probably just doesn't have the best mounts just yet but still wants to put something out there.

If she's a trainer she probably doesn't have the time to check out the photoboot at every show. If you want to help her, IMHO best thing would be to look for some pics of her too when you browse and then say something like "I was over at the photo stand and came across this great pic of you riding a bay, he looks so much nicer then the horses I've seen you riding on facebook". Ask her about the horse and finish it up with "it was such a great shot, you should buy it (if it's her own) or have the owner buy it (if it's a customers)"

Nice enough way to get your point across.
    Timothy, stop lurking

This thread just reminds me of WHY I tell my students that if they want to post any pictures they've taken of me or my horses on the intenet they need to clear it by me first! I swear some of the things these kids think of as being "good" photos makes me wonder if I've taught them anything at all! lol Landing shots, takeoff shots, butt shots, flat-out horrible shots... They have no shame! Which is kindof cute, but on the other hand.....
    ...for there are wings on these hooves, the speed and power of foam-capped waves...
    *~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*
    Proud member of the artists clique

Quote Originally Posted by GreystoneKC View Post
    This thread just reminds me of WHY I tell my students that if they want to post any pictures they've taken of me or my horses on the intenet they need to clear it by me first! I swear some of the things these kids think of as being "good" photos makes me wonder if I've taught them anything at all! lol Landing shots, takeoff shots, butt shots, flat-out horrible shots... They have no shame! Which is kindof cute, but on the other hand.....
    Thank goodness my kids aren't there to take pics of me usually!!! They do the same with themselves! "Dang that looks good!" I see attached to rider jumping ahead and horse hanging leg etc over jump or what not. Just because it's a a bigger then 2' jump doesn't make it a good looking jump!!!

i think when you get to be more experienced you start really nit picking those pictures! I have a picture from a show where I am ducking but my HORSE looks SUPER!

It does make me wonder if anything sinks in during lessons!

Quote Originally Posted by nlk View Post
    Thank goodness my kids aren't there to take pics of me usually!!! They do the same with themselves! "Dang that looks good!" I see attached to rider jumping ahead and horse hanging leg etc over jump or what not. Just because it's a a bigger then 2' jump doesn't make it a good looking jump!!!

i think when you get to be more experienced you start really nit picking those pictures! I have a picture from a show where I am ducking but my HORSE looks SUPER!

It does make me wonder if anything sinks in during lessons!
    Hahaha! I'm not nearly as worried about the pictures of ME! Almost ever great picture of me riding my old junior hunter involved some epik version of this poor excuse for a 2-point...
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/25180...53076870MfkUaY
    Eh, I don't mind when my horse looks great. I never claimed to be an eq rider. ;-)
    But the poor horses...
    One of my students had this as her profile picture on FB for a while (yes, you! lol)...
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...0&id=601469625
    I think she's quite *proud* of how, shall we say, "creative", this jump was...
    ...for there are wings on these hooves, the speed and power of foam-capped waves...
    *~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*
    Proud member of the artists clique

I have a young trainer friend who is great with horses and kids beginner, inter level training. She has two myspace accounts: 1 for her business and 1 is personal. Both are visible to anyone. Anyway, she has pictures of herself drunk, half naked and in compromising positions on her personal site.
    She teaches kids! You know they look at it!
    I never could find the time to talk to her about it. Nice girl, but I just wanted to shake her!
    I know this is not really the same thing...