The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default how often should chicken coop be cleaned out?

At barn/cabin where I rent the farm owners have 2 chicken coops.
    How often should they be cleaned out? I don't think I've ever seen him clean it except when he put new chickens in about 2 months ago.
    It really stinks and the FLIES are atrocious.
    I aSSumed that since chickens also POOP, you would have to clean where they live out like any other enclosed area
    There are 25 in one, and 10+ in other.
    I just wasn't sure what protocol was for chickens????

Quote Originally Posted by Rebmik View Post
    At barn/cabin where I rent the farm owners have 2 chicken coops.
    How often should they be cleaned out? I don't think I've ever seen him clean it except when he put new chickens in about 2 months ago.
    It really stinks and the FLIES are atrocious.
    I aSSumed that since chickens also POOP, you would have to clean where they live out like any other enclosed area
    There are 25 in one, and 10+ in other.
    I just wasn't sure what protocol was for chickens????
    daily asits dirrty for them and can cause deceases if not clean and proper welfare care and management

we clean ours about 2ce a week. seems to do the job. they are free range as well, so are only inside at night.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

You are renting and their chicken standards are pretty much set and were before you moved in.

You could offer to clean the coop but don't expect a break on the rent or anything like that.

The easiest way I have dealt with droppings was to lay down sand and scoop it like a huge catbox on a regular basis.
    Last edited by 5; Jun. 29, 2009 at 07:44 PM.

We cleaned ours every Saturday, swept, desinfected and added new sand for the floor.
    Since the chickens didn't live there, just went in to lay, eat and roost at night, it really was very clean.

Twice a week here. They are only in the coop at night, and that works for me. I rake the yard every couple of days to break up the poops, so far so good.
    Click here before you buy.

My chickens live in a complete ghetto. I converted an old bedroom dresser that was in our garage. I took out he drawers and cut off the center divider piece. then I cut off the whole top and put a piece of tin on it that is bent into a rolled roof like a quonset. They have two little baskets in there that have shavings in them or hay. They hardly poop in there at all. I cleaned them out on Sat and it was mostly clean. I do put 7 dust around once a month since we had a chicken come in that lost all of her feathers. Just to be safe. I don't do a lot of cleaning but we only have 3 chickens...I think they like what little mess they make! If you think it is dirty it probably is. Just take the bull by the horns and go in there and clean it. You will enjoy taking care of the chickens. Sorry for the derailment...

I completely clean mine out once a year. I churn up the bedding daily to not let it mat down and the chickens churn it up when i throw sunflower seeds down.

The bottom of the floor is rubber matting with pine shavings. I will sprinkle new shaving on if needed.
    My coop does not smell at all. They are out all day and in at night.

Once or twice a year with a deep bedding method. It will not stink if it is kept dry and tossed on occasion.

I have had to clean my coop out once in the last year after the pet sitter managed to spill water all over. As soon as it gets wet you can smell ammonia and if it is too large of an area to dry it quickly you need to get the wet stuff out.

A good test of whether the coop in question needs to be cleaned is the smell. If the bedding is wet and or the coop smells of ammonia it needs to be cleaned.

The design of the coop matters as well. The coop should be about 4 sq ft per bird for full size chickens and it needs good ventilation. My hens have more than enough room and are only locked in the coop at night. I also have 7 windows and plenty of ventilation.
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

No matter how often you clean it, you should be wearing a dust mask. They're super cheap and will keep all that crap out of your lungs.

DH was doing some construction on a chicken barn, and the owner required the use of dust masks even when the barn was empty.