The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep. 28, 2001
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    4,320

    Default Help...Dogs are itching like crazy!

    I've never had such skin issues with my dogs. One has a big bald spot on the top of her back and they both scratch/chew constantly. I've had minor issues in past summers, but nothing like this. I've treated for fleas and use an anti-itch spray, but I am wondering if they pick something up at the barn (they go everyday and get into everything.) Has anyone found a product that really works? Thanks!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul. 12, 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caryledee View Post
    I've never had such skin issues with my dogs. One has a big bald spot on the top of her back and they both scratch/chew constantly. I've had minor issues in past summers, but nothing like this. I've treated for fleas and use an anti-itch spray, but I am wondering if they pick something up at the barn (they go everyday and get into everything.) Has anyone found a product that really works? Thanks!
    Try Gold Bond Medicated Powder. I adopted an old golden retriever who had terrible hot spots. She would lick her armpits, and they smelled like they were rotting. I started using the powder, and she loved it. I would tell her it was time to "powder her pits" and she would happily let me do it. The hot spots dried up and healed, and she stopped licking immediately. I would give it a try on your dogs.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun. 14, 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    11,372

    Default

    They may have severe flea allergies....

    What does your vet say?
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

    Might be a reason, never an excuse...



  4. #4
    Join Date
    May. 15, 2008
    Posts
    31

    Default Springtime Garlic!!!

    I have put my dogs on Springtime feed Garlic. Its wonderful. It helps with my terriers itchy skin and a bonus it keeps fleas and ticks off!! I highly recommend it. I have been using it for 3 years with great success.I took them off one time and the itching came back, as soon as she got back on it the itching went away. Another bonus its relatively inexpensive. Hope this helps.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 1999
    Posts
    3,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ALJUMPER View Post
    I have put my dogs on Springtime feed Garlic. Its wonderful. It helps with my terriers itchy skin and a bonus it keeps fleas and ticks off!! I highly recommend it. I have been using it for 3 years with great success.I took them off one time and the itching came back, as soon as she got back on it the itching went away. Another bonus its relatively inexpensive. Hope this helps.
    Garlic can be toxic for dogs.

    Which flea product are you using? You may want to switch to Advantage if you've been using Frontline. If it is a flea allergy, just one small bite can send them into a tizz. Is the bald spot red and raw? If so, it may have gotten infected from all the itching--she may need oral antibiotics. There are also a few antibacterial/steroid sprays that your vet can prescribe to help get the itching under control. Your vet can also recommend a dose of Benadryl or an alternate antihistimine if needed.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov. 1, 2008
    Posts
    107

    Default

    I have previously given my dogs benadryl for allergies and this always seems to work for any allergy reaction they may be having and was approved by my vet. You can call your vet and ask the dosage for your dogs weight. My dog is about 55 pounds and I give her one benadryl capsule, but for my smaller dog, I open the capsule and pour out half the powder and reclose it.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun. 4, 2001
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,201

    Default

    My dog is also itching up a storm. He's on Comfortis and I've found no fleas on him. He's white so they are relatively easy to spot. I'm about positive it's allergies stemming from outside. I was told to get oatmeal shampoo as well as epsom salts. Tea bags also work. Brew a dark tea bag and place it on the hot spot, if your dog has any, when the tea bag has cooled. The tanins in the tea supposedly help. I will be doing all of these things a.s.a.p.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep. 28, 2001
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    4,320

    Default

    Thanks for the tips! I will give them a try and see if I get any relief. A trip to the vet will be in order if this keeps up.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct. 8, 2008
    Location
    not where I want to be
    Posts
    854

    Default

    What breed are they? Golden retrievers and some other breeds are very prone to hot spots and can be difficult to treat. I would also consider the food they are on. If your dogs suffer from skin issues ( dry, itchy, etc .) take away food with corn at least. There is decent food that can help that is not too expensive. It may not solve the problem, but can maybe help get it in the right direction.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct. 1, 2002
    Location
    Cow County, MD
    Posts
    6,958

    Default

    I think your dogs need a skin scrape for a more conclusive diagnosis. Could be flea allergy dermatitis, but could also be sarcoptic mange (is everyone compulsively scratching now that I've said the "m word?" ).

    Another thought is food allergies if you have recently changed foods. But considering they are both reacting so badly, I'd assume (as you have) that it's environmental.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov. 3, 2003
    Posts
    1,685

    Default

    Try children's benadryl. I get the grape flavor. My German shepherd had a sting of some sort on her back and ripped out all the hair around it. So I slathered it for several days with cortisone cream and gave her the benadryl. It settled right down within a day or so. The hair is also pretty much back.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar. 30, 2004
    Location
    King, NC
    Posts
    1,877

    Default

    If its fleas, a capstar followed by frontline will kill them immediately then keep new ones off...
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr. 29, 2005
    Location
    Paris, Kentucky
    Posts
    3,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imissvixen View Post
    Try children's benadryl. I get the grape flavor. My German shepherd had a sting of some sort on her back and ripped out all the hair around it. So I slathered it for several days with cortisone cream and gave her the benadryl. It settled right down within a day or so. The hair is also pretty much back.
    Please don't slather anything with cortisone cream. This can cause terrible problems if your dog can reach it and lick it off or if they scratch it and then lick their feet. I can't imagine dosing a German Shep with Children's liquid Benadryl. THe appropriate dosage for a dog is about 1mg/lb so an adult Shep would need cups. I have a 93# Shar Pei mix who get skin issues (obviously ) and he get 100mg (four of the normal adult tablets).

    Using grocery store type flea control can cause skin irritation as well as other maladies to sensitive dogs. We have seen several this spring already at the clinic.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr. 29, 2005
    Location
    Paris, Kentucky
    Posts
    3,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chester's Mom View Post
    If its fleas, a capstar followed by frontline will kill them immediately then keep new ones off...
    Very good advice.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr. 29, 2005
    Location
    Paris, Kentucky
    Posts
    3,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by busterwells View Post
    I have previously given my dogs benadryl for allergies and this always seems to work for any allergy reaction they may be having and was approved by my vet. You can call your vet and ask the dosage for your dogs weight. My dog is about 55 pounds and I give her one benadryl capsule, but for my smaller dog, I open the capsule and pour out half the powder and reclose it.
    Again, Benadryl comes in 25mg tablets. A 55# dog would get two.

    Please read the labels carefully. Benadryl now also comes in Benadryl Cold and Sinus with ingredients that you do NOT want to give your pet. Use only plain Benadryl.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb. 15, 2004
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    7,818

    Default

    Last May, my Lab was also very itchy and scratching/licking like crazy. It turned out he was reacting to the grass/pollen. The vet put him on Vanectyl-P (50 pills so about 10 days) and some omega fatty acid liquid. That was followed up with Benadryl as required (adult), but I can't remember the dose since we were away and my friend did all the medicating.
    In November, he had a hot spot behind one ear and the vet prescribed Surolan Skin and Ear Solution (30 mL).

    I have to touch wood, but so far so good this year.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov. 9, 2005
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    15,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caryledee View Post
    I've never had such skin issues with my dogs. One has a big bald spot on the top of her back and they both scratch/chew constantly. I've had minor issues in past summers, but nothing like this. I've treated for fleas and use an anti-itch spray, but I am wondering if they pick something up at the barn (they go everyday and get into everything.) Has anyone found a product that really works? Thanks!
    mites flea them again but look here www.camrosa.co.uk click down side bar -- dogs



Similar Threads

  1. Crying and Itching *Help*
    By GraceLikeRain in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Oct. 20, 2012, 06:59 AM
  2. Dog with blodshot eyes and itching?
    By jetandmegs4 in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jan. 7, 2011, 08:57 PM
  3. Itching- help!
    By janedoe726 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Sep. 6, 2010, 10:03 PM
  4. Dog hot spots, itching
    By TKR in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Aug. 12, 2010, 12:22 PM
  5. PSA on trailer, dogs, and my crazy life!
    By Meredith Clark in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: Jan. 25, 2010, 03:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •