The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking Biting more than you can chew?

This is what I found by the yard gate this morning, when I went to feed the horses.
    That is a very young whip snake, that looks like she bit more than she can possibly chew:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...g?t=1245499883

Yummy!!! Bluey, that's a great picture! The true definition of "Hope springs eternal!"

Hubby and older daughter found a similar situation in our backyard recently, and managed to annoy the little garden-type snake until it let the poor froggy go and slithered away. Daughter, being a serious frog lover, was elated that froggy took a minute to recover its senses then hopped away! Sort of a frog version of Jonah and the Whale.
    "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"

Great pic!! I think a lot of us have bitten off more than we can chew with all our various projects but we seem to get it done anyway. Maybe she will manage too. Ambitious little thing.
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Bluey is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

I am sorry to say that the frog looks already dead and the snake is NOT giving her price up, no way, to no one.
    Whip snakes are very shy, but in a pinch, even a shy one can pony up and make a stand.

But, with daylight breaking, she better get under cover, because our hawks believe that the early bird gets the worm.

The circle of life at work.

Too funny. Can I use your picture in a slide show for our principal's retirement-the joke is that he is the eternal optimist-to a fault sometimes.

Integrity is like a frog sitting on a venus flytrap. The plant can bite and bite beacuse it only has little plant teeth and that would be like integrity, in a way.
    - Anon.

(probably not anon, but for some reason I didn't write down who actually said that).
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Bluey is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Equine Studies View Post
    Too funny. Can I use your picture in a slide show for our principal's retirement-the joke is that he is the eternal optimist-to a fault sometimes.
    Sure, you are welcome to use it any time, any place.
    Just be sure all in your audience will get it is meant as a joke.
    Snakes can be seriously scary to some.

Yesterday when I was doing some maintance around my water garden, I spotted a small water snake who was eating my frogs. He had feet sticking out of his mouth. So I went and fetched a net and of course he was gone when I got back but I continued doing things around the pond and he popped up again with ANOTHER frog in his mouth. So I netted him and got lucky. He spit the frog out (young bullfrog that came from some tadpoles I put in there this spring). I relocated the snake (18inches) to the pond in the pasture and put the frog back in my pond. I didn't really want a snake taking up residence in my backyard and start to eat my fish too.

If that was one of those non-native bullfrogs that are decimating the native species of frogs and salamanders, good for the snake doing his part to re-balance the eco system,(we have them here, they sound like a fog horn and we do our best to catch the tadpoles in a minnow trap and give them to a wildlife rehab place.)

I am impressed with your photo. If I had seen that this morning there would be just a cloud of dust left where I had been standing!

This reminds me of the feral yellow cat I saw stalking a HUGE pelican. Such serious optimism!!!

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Oh MY! That is something!

Last summer as I was sitting at my desk working, I could hear what sounded like a kitten outside my office window.

So I went out to see what it was - well - it was a black snake that had a frog by the back legs, and it was the frog making the noise. That sort of grossed me out. I mean I know it is nature and all, but I could live without the "screaming".
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

We had the same thing - a large garden snake by the pond had a frog by the hind leg and it was screaming bloody murder. I scared the snake into dropping the leg and the frog hopped back into the pond - but what a sound. Never heard it before.

I have a similar picture from a few years back: http://http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9d801b3127ccec73cd52213cc00000060O08QcuHDNyxaA9 vPhQ/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

The poor toad was already a goner so I left things alone, but the snake was quite vulnerable for quite some time. But very interesting discussion with the kids!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by Nes View Post
    Integrity is like a frog sitting on a venus flytrap. The plant can bite and bite beacuse it only has little plant teeth and that would be like integrity, in a way.
    - Anon.

(probably not anon, but for some reason I didn't write down who actually said that).
    Jack Handey, I believe.

This is too funny--wonder what the snake ended up doing about it?
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG