The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Drought stricken west (Alberta) looking for hay in Ontario..I have a source

I must be out to lunch or not keeping up with the news. Didn't realize that you in the west were facing a crisis to feed your livestock.

I'm in Ontario and know a fellow who I am getting my hay from who still has 50+ BIG round bales from last year yet he wants to sell. We're already taking off teh new crop hay, so I will soon be switching over to the new. My guys usually waste some of the outside to get to the good stuff on the inside. A little dusty but no mold. All you would need to arrange is a truck. I hear they are already arranging for teh hay lotteries. I remember these from teh drought in the 90's.

My three big guys took 4-5 days to finish a bale. Here is what he has

50 bales 4x5 round, 1st cut alfalfa. 50 bales 4x4 wrapped 1st & 3rd cut alflafa $45.00 each (Canadian of course).

If you're interested or know cattle guys interested, drop me a line and I will pass along his phone number (just so it's not all over the internet.

Hmmm, I didn't know that either. All I know is that my barn has a LOT of lovely green hay to feed right now!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

I think it must be very localized or something, I also heard on the national news that they are talking drought and hay shortages in Alta but I have also spoken to people who have been showing in Alberta and nobody at the shows were talking about hay shortages.

And here I am worried about hay supplies because it has been too wet and too cold and the hay is slow to get going....
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

It is localised - there is a very dry area along the Saskatchewan/Alberta border that is bone dry - runs roughly from north of the TransCanada to south of Lloydminister, how far east and west, I am not sure. I know Kindersley-Rosetown areas are dry, and a good ways into central Alberta. There are also other small pockets of dry as well.

I have the same concerns as Mozart about hay - too wet, too cold, and it aint growing right - what is there is thick and lush but too short.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

I thought I had AMPLE hay for the winter...now I am looking at my dwindling pile and thinking...come on HEAT we need HEAT! I have been doing the anti-rain dance every day.

Even though I know that will just hatch a bumper mosquito crop. I don't care, I'll just buy the Muskol in bulk at Costco!
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    I have been doing the anti-rain dance every day.

Even though I know that will just hatch a bumper mosquito crop. I don't care, I'll just buy the Muskol in bulk at Costco!
    Dance faster or try going the other way - it ain't working!!!LOL

Cousin is howling about the fields being too soft to spray - he better suck it up before the damned flea beetles eat ME too!!!
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

I think if anyone is looking for hay you can go to Ontario - allot of people used older hay over the winter since we had such a rainy summer last year and it's all very dusty. I know our local farmers are dumping tons of round bales into the fields - my cats are thrilled!
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine