The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boarding barn Southern NJ???

Hello,

Looking for a decent, simple boarding barn in Southern New Jersey, preferably one with both an indoor and outdoor arena with jumps in one or the other. We presently have a horse on dirt paddocks so it would be tricky to put out on grass right away but possibly doable.
    Anyone?

Price range? do you need a trainer? where about in south jersey?

$200-$300 and we have a trainer. About 10 miles radius from Philadelphia (Jersey side) would work.

In that price range..i really don't know many with indoors.

Places that you will be able to find info, though, would be on www.southjersey.craigslist.com

or

www.nj-horse.com

(Sorry the only ones i know with indoors are over $600+)

Take a look on there cause you might get lucky :-D

indoor is not crucial, but nice..

IMO, there is no way you are going to find a barn in that price range and not have issues. I noticed your other thread about the lack of hay for your horses. I see a bunch of barns offering full board with hay, grain, turnout, etc. on Craigslist for the 300-350 price range, and I just scratch my head wondering how they do it. Maybe small, backyard type of barns, but ones with an indoor, outdoor, jumps, etc....good luck. I have 2 in my backyard and one out at a full care facility. I drive one hour to the full care, have an indoor, nice jumps, two rings (one with lights) and I pay 25 bucks a day. I also sleep at night and do not deal with all the #$%$# that goes along with boarding at a substandard facility. I also have 2 in my back yard and I know it costs me about 300 bucks a month just to feed and hay them. That doesn't include all the hidden costs like electric, bedding, fence maintainence, daily labor, etc.

I would check out craigslist, but you may need to either be prepared to drive more or give something up (i.e. indoor, nice arena, etc).

Default horse boarding

Hi i use to board my horse at hopkins horse farm In Wrightstown NJ.
    maybe a little bit further away but not too far. They are primarily a western stable but im sure they can accomodate you. They are real nice over there. they have a large indoor and outdoor and round pen and they have pasture board and i think its about 250 a month which included hay and feeding of grain, but you have to supply the grain.
    the website i think is www.hopkinshorsefarm.com

Having recently shopped for a retirement barn in South Jersey AND having not that long ago shopped for a hunter/jumper show barn in the area-- I can tell you that I am not aware of any in your driving radius, at that price, with the amenities you want. Frankly, I am not thinking of any in that driving radius at that price SANS amenities! If you are willing to go further into NJ and/or are looking for a place much simpler/someone's farmette that boards-- then I think there might be some possibilities.

Below is a non-exhaustive list of "lower-priced" barns I looked at a month or so ago. I limited myself to a 30-45 minute drive from Philadelphia and $350/less per month. There were a few places on the list that had a ring and did some riding, though that wasn't something I was necessarily looking for. None with an indoor in that price range. I am not clear that they would let you bring an outside trainer, but you could ask (again, it wasn't something I was looking for at the time). I am not aware of anything 30-45 minutes from Philly with an indoor for less than $450/month, and some in that range are "interesting."
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I am not endorsing or suggesting these place. Some I haven't visited. Some I visited and they didn't work for me, but you might call/visit and see if they'd work for you...

Sovereign Hill/Michelle Sheets (Mullica Hill), (856)478-6384
    Royal Haven Equestrian Center/Jennifer Oberg (Sewell) 856.524.5891
    Green Pastures Stables, LLC (Monroeville) 856.358.8602
    Lots of Love Farm 1928 (Williamstown) 856-728-4188
    A Bit of Pleasure/Katie M. Pratt (Mullica Hill), (856) 478-4085
    Fries Mill Farm (Franklinville), 856.694.1189
    Lion’s Pride/Erin Wisniewski (Williamstown) 856-885-8198
    Liberty Bell Farm/Denise Bell (Elmer) 856.358.2892
    Best Kept Secret Show Stables/Bill, Pat & Patty Bromley (Buena) 856.513.2248
    Friendlea Farm/Courtney (Buena) 609-287-6731

I am pretty sure these places are all more than 10 miles from Philly. I am also sure none were less than $300/month for board and I actually believe most were in the $350-450/month range.

There are a few extremely nice barns I am aware of in the area, which I have left off the list because not only are they more than 10 miles from Philly-- board is in the $500 and up range so well beyond what you're looking to pay.

Realisticly, I think you need to be willing to pay around $350/month and drive up to 25 miles and then you're going to start finding some decent options that you can be happy with. Good luck!!!!
    ~Veronica

Default That's a little tough!

I've scoured S. Jersey over the past few years and know some of the places listed above. You might be able to find some self-care at your price but probably not full-care, except maybe pasture boarding, and indoors are *very* hard to come by near that price range. Here are a few more to investigate off the top of my head; sorry, I don't have contact info. handy. I don't know much about most of them... just passing info. along... Also, you want to keep in mind whether someplace is near a highway, such as 55, I-295, or the AC Expressway. That can make a huge difference in determining how "close" a place is.

Near route 55:

There are a couple of places on Fox Run Road in Deptford... One is called Fox Run, owned by the Moores but I think run by someone else. Last I heard, board was around $300 with a stall. There's a self-care place next door (Pollens, I think is the name).

There's a place in the Mantua/Sewell area on Loring Lane, off Center St.... I forget the name.

Off exit 45 (of 55) are a few places, including Bit by Bit, which has field board for $275.

Near route I-295:

Dorsett Farms in Swedesboro has field board for about $250, stalls around $350.

In Pedricktown, on route 130, new management is starting in the next month or so where Joint Venture Farms was. I'm told they will have field board for $300. There are several other places in that area.

You can also check out http://www.newjerseyhorse.com/, the Horse of the Delaware Valley, and the Equine Marketer. But your best bet might be to try to find a private barn where someone wants just 1 or 2 boarders.

Good luck!

Wow! You guys are so helpful! I actually moved in less than a year ago to my present place and did a lot of scouring the area before that. You all came up with some new names i didn't see and some I did visit. The indoor is a bonus but not at the expense of other necessities. A lighted outdoor arena is fine and what we did for many years before.

Right now pasture board is fine as long as it is not too muddy and there is decent shelter available. My horse is used to it now and I do blanket.

There's a lot places near me in Burl. Co, from self care to full. Is that too far?

no, not at all, do you have any names?

I'm not sure you're being realistic. Six years ago when I lived in Flemington about 45 minutes from Philadelphia the best I could find was no indoor (but great care) at $375 a month

I'm also highly doubting anything decent that fits the bill for you. I am in Burlington County and I know of nothing.
    ...for there are wings on these hooves, the speed and power of foam-capped waves...
    *~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*
    Proud member of the artists clique

Are there parts of burlington co 10 miles from philly?!
    ~Veronica

Default how can a facility charge $250/month and not loose $$$?

feed, hay and electric will likely cost that much. i'm suspicious of any place that is overly cheap. in my experience places like that are trouble.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique