The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Boot stretch spray (aka rubbing alcohol?)

I have a few questions about boot stretch spray:

1) I've seen it mentioned in quite a few threads that boot stretch spray is pretty much just rubbing alcohol -- or at least it's close enough that you can use rubbing alcohol instead. Is this true? Can I use rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle rather than try to go out and buy boot stretch spray on a Sunday night?

2) I've also see it written in threads that you are supposed to spray the inside of the boot. This raises a few questions for me. Is it true that you should only spray the inside? How much should you spray it? Does it need to be saturated? What about lined boots -- don't you need to get the spray on the outside leather as well as the inside leather?

3) And finally, do you have to spray all the way around the circumference of the boot, or can you just spray the inside (as in, closest to the horse, not as in the INSIDE inside of the boot) in the area that needs stretching.

These are old broken in boots (so no bathtub required) but apparently the bottom part of my knee has gained weight (?!?!?!) and now I need a little emergency stretching before I can zip these suckers all the way up and actually do up the snap up top.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Um NO I would not use spray alcohol as it is drying. NOT sure what is in the spray but it works and is slick..

The spray is a light coating and you let it dry a second or two and you can use too much and it does not have the same results.

I know some people use powder but I like the boot spray for the UGH pull on dress boots

Quote Originally Posted by beeblebrox View Post
    Um NO I would not use spray alcohol as it is drying. NOT sure what is in the spray but it works and is slick..
    Actually, a custom bootmaker told me to use rubbing alcohol. A friend of mine was told the same thing by a different bootmaker. She looked kind of silly carrying around a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol, but it did work. She did it on the outside of the boots, while she was wearing them (zipped up as far as she could get them).

I tried. I went and looked at a bottle of boot stretch and there isn't an ingredient listed. In a pinch, just spray some showsheen inside the boot, put it right on and walk.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

You can always put them on in a hot bath too. Let the leather warm and stretch, zip 'em up, then get out and let them dry on your leg. Works for boots new and old and no, it doesn't hurt the leather.

I've filled some boots with boot stretcher, others with rubbing alcohol, and then worn them until dry, with no ill effects (except the orange-y dye inside the boots did stain my socks), and the boots stretched perfectly to where I wanted them to, and I think probably dried more quickly than if I'd soaked them with water.

But because it's just the top of your boots, and they're older boots, maybe dried out a bit with age, maybe you should have little gussets put in, like Ariats have?

Try the rubbing alcohol or boot stretcher and slip your toes into a grocery bag so it comes up over your knee before pulling the boots on - makes getting the damp boots on and off again that much easier.

When I got my first pair of boots eons ago, they were a used pair that were just a hair too snug and this was before the zipper-craze. I used rubbing alcohol on them and they are just fine! Just make sure to condition them after!

I used rubbing alcohol on my Monacos with no ill effect. I suppose if I was overly concerned I could have given them a wipe down with conditioner after, but I've noticed no damage and I doused them repeatedly with a 10% rubbing alcohol solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    I tried. I went and looked at a bottle of boot stretch and there isn't an ingredient listed.
    I have always used a boot stretch product until an Italian shoe maker told me it is basically alcohol and to save my money. Feibings Shoe Stretch lists it's ingredients (see link below). Alcohol (IPA) is the first.

https://www.rachelsrobin.com/shop/in...-flypage-22278
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

I used Rubbing Alcohol on my Ariats and Dover Pros w/o a problem. I put the boots on, then spray heavily on the inside. Then wear dry. I always make sure to stuff the heck out of the inside (good trees, etc) when finished. And condition really well.
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

Default Alcohol

Old bootmakers (Cowboy) suggest you to use alcohol to stretch places that need to be stretched. Some people need to stretch them where bunions are. They spray alcohol and sometimes use those wooden forms with an adjustable part that will stretch out the area of the bunion or whatever. It really works.

I've used alcohol for dress shoes and it works well for them as well.

hmmm, daughter has new vogels with out zippers. Gets them on fine, and they are fine in the saddle, but when it's time to get them off, it's a nightmare!!! we got the pro or whatever they call it, maybe fieldmaster which is supposed to be easier on/off, and it's not working!

Would show sheen work in this case? It's not that they don't fit, they just don't want to come off! They are the 3/4 lined also if that makes a difference? I bet if she sprays the inside of the boot, wears nylon type socks, they may just slip off? We have tried the powder all over the boot, but that didnt do much help either!

Showsheen works great for that. Spray the inside of the boots the night before. "Should" be much easier to get off. My boots fit great but I still do it every time I wear them.

Quinn - night before or right before she puts them on, i have heard both, night before makes more sense!

I am the queen of getting tight boots to fit. Stretching, hot water, alcohol, you name it, I've done it.

Alcohol generally works best if you can get the boot on, then spray the medial calf (as in the protion that goes against the saddle) with alcohol. Spray until you can feel it on your calf (try not to cough up a lung from the fumes).

If you know your boots will be tight on show day, you can "sweat" your legs. Wrap saran around your calf, but on breeches and your calf will stay tight. Just don't wrap the plastic so tightly that you can't flex your calf to drop your heel.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

"Tha Ridge

Quote:
    Originally Posted by beeblebrox
    Actually, a custom bootmaker told me to use rubbing alcohol. A friend of mine was told the same thing by a different bootmaker. She looked kind of silly carrying around a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol, but it did work. She did it on the outside of the boots, while she was wearing them (zipped up as far as she could get them)."

Well then it must be ok... :-) Still not sure for me personally that I would want to use alcohol inside my boots all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter/JumperMom View Post
    Quinn - night before or right before she puts them on, i have heard both, night before makes more sense!
    Sorry, H/JM just saw this. The night before and that way the boots will be nice and slippery inside. If you do them just before you put them on, they'll be wet. Also, use nylon type boots socks or knee hi's and I spray them as well the night before. I have never had a problem again getting my boots off no matter how hot and humid it is.

Get yourself a pair of compression socks!
    Jen Evans & DaBear

Hi just bumping this up real quick. Could I fill the boots with rubbing alcohol? How is this compared to soaking them in warm water?

Thanks!

Sorry that I'm coming VERY late to this party. But I was Googling how to break in boots (mine are cheap loggers-not riding). They are 3 weeks old. I've been using alcohol inside (at my bunion area) and on the outside (bunion area). They fit great every where else. I went on a long walk around town today. I was in the boots about 5 hours today. I got home they didn't hurt. I just wondered what the time limit is for the treatment. Was three weeks way too long. T hey don't look damaged at all. When should I tell my boots they're cut off!!??