The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need "cowboy" / problem horse trainer in NoVA

My friend is in search of a problem-horse trainer/cowboy-type who will come to her farm to work with her young horse. I didn't have anyone I could recommend, so if someone on here does, let me know! TIA.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Default Hay

Isn't Kenny Harlow in VA somewhere? Also you can go to John Lyons' web site and look for a certified "cowboy".
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Perhaps if you gave a little bit of info on what problems the young horse has or what your friend is looking for as far as a career for this horse.

There's a big difference in someone who can "cowboy" the horse to be a trail horse or a ranch horse ( two totally different training methods) and the training the goes into a horse intended for competition such as eventing and dressage.Then again she could be looking for someone to just" break" the horse.

A friend of mine works with young horses and will train them anyway you want to go with a gentle approach. She enjoys "problem" horses. There was also another trainer who advertised training ANY problem horse on another website. If you want her info, PM me.
    Crayola Posse~Aquamarine
    Love vs Money...for the love of my horse, I have no money!

It's a young WB show hunter, who has been started well, but is naturally VERY lazy and gets VERY resistant when leaving the barn alone or when going to the ring to work. The owner doesn't feel comfortable riding the horse through it, and basically wants someone to come out and "teach" the horse that is is not an option not to work.

It is not so much a problem when at shows as at home, hence why the trainer has to come to the owner's farm.

I know some people have had good experiences with Shane Mortenson in Warrenton, Kings Symbol farm I believe? I know he has posted to VirginiaEquestrian.com. He has a "real" cowboy background but from what I understand is quite good. Never worked with him personally but just thought I would pass it on.

I sent you a PM with some contact info
    Crayola Posse~Aquamarine
    Love vs Money...for the love of my horse, I have no money!

Kenny Harlow is in southern-central VA, but one of his students up in Lovettsville. Her name is Leslie Gottesmann, and I can highly recommend her.
    Her web site is www.milesofsmilestraining.com
    Amateur rider, professional braider.
    ----
    Save a life, adopt a pet.

You have a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SidesaddleRider View Post
    It's a young WB show hunter, who has been started well, but is naturally VERY lazy and gets VERY resistant when leaving the barn alone or when going to the ring to work. The owner doesn't feel comfortable riding the horse through it, and basically wants someone to come out and "teach" the horse that is is not an option not to work.

It is not so much a problem when at shows as at home, hence why the trainer has to come to the owner's farm.
    Maybe the horse needs a stronger rider or just some miles on it? I would opt against "cowboy" types as the connotation with that seems to be negative.

Any good (with references) trainer would be able to work with this horse.

Hope she finds a good one

Doug Linton in Remmington Virginia. He's a "cowboy" because he wears a "cowboy Hat" and rides in a western saddle, but he's a very accomplished rider who has been breaking and training horses for 25 years. He's also "finished" horses for people who went on to win at the QH Congress. He does not go to people's houses though.

I sent a mare to him last year, my only complaint was he feeds too much.

You can PM me if you want.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

David Yauch, student of Kenny Harlow... HE IS AWESOME. I send him to everyone and he is just amazing... and so reasonably priced!!!!! 540-229-4255. I've used him myself and he is wonderful.....
    Kim
    The Galloping Grape
    Warrenton, VA
    http://www.GallopingGrape.com

My TB was resistant and balky about working. Turned out that he was foot sore. I am not saying this horse is foot sore but I generally find it odd that a horse isn't interested in going out. I guess it could be barn sour. Anyway, just be careful on picking the cowboy trainers. Truthfully any decent trainer should be able to deal with this. I don't think you need a cowboy.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions. Shane Mortenson came out Tuesday evening and rode the horse, working with it through its resistance (and agreed that it stems from the horse being lazy), and gave the owner some helpful hints on what to do. She rode last night, doing the ground work first before getting on, and the horse was lovely with no resistance.

Thanks for the update, SidesaddleRider

Uh, if it takes a cowboy to make a horse with sticky feet - MOVE- makes me wonder about the quality and backbone of your garden variety 'english' trainer.

Seriously guys, THIS was 'cowboy' material??
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

Well, it was sticky feet, plus front feet that would leave the ground when the horse was pressured, as well. She just didn't feel comfortable riding through that.

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post
    Kenny Harlow is in southern-central VA, but one of his students up in Lovettsville. Her name is Leslie Gottesmann, and I can highly recommend her.
    Her web site is www.milesofsmilestraining.com
    Kenny and Leslie are wonderful but unless something has changed, they won't come to your barn. They want you to leave the horse with them.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me