The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Corrective Pads

What is the best pad you guys have found to help fill in the hollow spot behind the wither? My mare never really fills out there and saddles always want to tip forward and lift in the back.

http://www.victorycanter.com/product...roductid=20568

Roma Protek Lift Front wither relief pad = Amazing for filling in that hollow spot. I used it until my guy put on muscle in that area. It is a cheap option for schooling and fitting a saddle that fits everywhere else.
    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

Does your horse have a higer wither along with the hollow spots? Because I had this problem and I used the back riser pad (of the model shown above) and what it did is level the saddle on my horses back and the little bit of foam that is in the front of the pad filled in the hollow spots.

You could also buy that Mattes Correction Pad, those are amazing because you can add/take away bulk all over the pad at a moments notice.

I agree with the Roma lift-front pad. I use it and love it. Wintec also makes a very similar pad for about the same price.

Here are some pictures of her...Its hard to see the hollow spot though since she's so dark but maybe it will help to see her withers. She is kind of high but she is long backed to and until she gets into shape her back is kind of hollow.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...incessWalk.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...cessTrot01.jpg

Better confo (this is her even in good shape with the hollow behind the withers...she has a kind of odd put together shoulder so that might not help)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...pt22011new.jpg

I was considering a fleeceworks perfect balance since its not as thick as the mattes....

Oh what a pretty girl!

yes, I would look at something with lighter shims up front. Many reverse wedges are pretty thick up front, and I don't know that you have that much room, unless your saddle is a bit too wide overall.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Oh what a pretty girl!

yes, I would look at something with lighter shims up front. Many reverse wedges are pretty thick up front, and I don't know that you have that much room, unless your saddle is a bit too wide overall.

First...thanks!

My saddle is a little roomy right now but when her shoulders muscle up it won't be. She's a short and stout girl (just like her owner). She's 15.1hh but takes up a 78" blanket...so she's short but long and broad.

I, along with most of my barn at home, have the Antares "bubble pads." I call them bubble pads because on the bottom are little reverse foam bubbles--think sticking out rounded rather than indented. It works great, and I ordered it when I got my saddle a few years back!
    "Life ain't always beautiful but it's a beautiful ride."
    Proud Member of the "OMFG I've been Banned" clique.

Short enough to ride ponies but old enough to be in law school. What a life.

I use the fleeceworks perfect balance pad! It's wonderful because you can use the inserts to adjust a better fit, (which is great for me since I ride a lot of different horses). I'd give that a try if I were you!

Thinline saddle fitter pad is the only thing that worked for my boy! You can change it for other horses and as yours changes!

I love it!!!

Second the Thinline saddle fitter pad! Love mine!

The fleeceworks balance pad works well. It does get bulky with all the shims in though.

I love my thinline pad - I have the comfort pad, which can be shimmed if necessary.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Hmmm...

I didn't know Thinline made a pad like this. I love my current Thinline but its just not enough for the hollow point. Now I'm not sure which one to get lol.

I love my Thineline Trifecta!! I got both sets of shims because my horse's back was muscling up and I got a used County that we were reflocking as he changed. It was the perfect pad for adjusting and now it is perfect as just a regular half pad.

Default small hijack, please!

What do you for the fussy freakshow who is likes plenty of room around his withers but does need those pesky post-wither hollows filled?

I have tried telling him to just Man Up and get a better top line. He told me I ought to be a size two. Touche. We're both working on it.

Any of these pads fill in those hollows without narrowing the very front of the saddle? The saddle I'm trying to fit right now (something modeled after a Tad and a Butet with very thin panels) just might not work. But damn, it's so close in other respects, and the protracted saddle hunt for The Perfect One is killing me and sissyhorseboy both.

TIA
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    What do you for the fussy freakshow who is likes plenty of room around his withers but does need those pesky post-wither hollows filled?

I have tried telling him to just Man Up and get a better top line. He told me I ought to be a size two. Touche. We're both working on it.

Any of these pads fill in those hollows without narrowing the very front of the saddle? The saddle I'm trying to fit right now (something modeled after a Tad and a Butet with very thin panels) just might not work. But damn, it's so close in other respects, and the protracted saddle hunt for The Perfect One is killing me and sissyhorseboy both.

TIA
    Well, by default, anything that fills in the hollows does narrow the front Do you have a picture showing the fit from a 3/4 front view? Are you saying that the pads you have tried carry the shim too low, thereby narrowing the fit too far down? If that's the case, you can get some felt or closed cell foam and make your own set of shims to be sized exactly how you need (which sounds like may be smaller than typical shims).

Default An aside

JB, you know my pain. Don't invite me to sent you pics because, by God, I will and you will get sucked into the vortex, too. Get out while you can.

If I could make this saddle right, I'd add an inch of panel to the trapezius part, but perhaps not exactly as the Black Country version does. If TM would get the appropriate demo before I crippled my horse....

Anywho, finding a pad that would do this job would enlarge my set of candidate saddles. I have an experiment I'll try today and let y'all know how it works.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat