The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Poly coated wire safety?

I've been reading through fencing threads for what seems like hours and was hoping for some more opinions on the safety of poly-coated high tensile wire, like Centaur's PolyPlus and White Lightning. Ideally I would love the hot rails or the regular 5" rails, but we're on a budget. We finally bought our first house and can bring our horses home! We have to build a barn as well, along with fencing, and normal new house fixes so I was considering maybe a flex rail or a regular wood board for a sight rail at the top and three or 4 strands of coated wire. I've mentioned other places and have still had people telling me that the coated wire was dangerous. I'm not sure if they maybe don't understand what fencing I'm talking about and think it's just regular ol' high tensile wire, but I'm curious if anyone has had an actual injury with it. Any opinions? I don't want to save money on fencing only to spend it on vet bills! We do live right off of a major road and a large portion of the fence borders the road.

I'm not sure why they think the coated wire is dangerous? I have the centaur top rail and 4 strands below, and we love it. And, my super accident prone, roll too close to the fence, stick head through the fence, run into the fence mare is finally not very accident prone. She even kicked the top rail the other day playing around, and I thought to myself, if that was a board, she could have broken the board, maybe needed stiches and I definetly would have had to repair it, if I was not home and it was a board and it had broken, the horses could have gotten out, etc. We also have accientally dropped a small tree or two on our fence and you would never know. Not a mark from the kick or the trees. And, we are on a semi-busy state road, with one paddock close to the road and the horses are safely contained. We have not had a single injury from this fence.

The other important factor is maintenance. The time it takes to maintain a centaur coated steel/wire setup is much less and lets you get to other projects that will always be there on the property. I can't say enough good things about Centaur fence. We ordered it through Double J, we loved ordering through them and they had the best price. We have installed all of our fencing ourselves (hard work, but rewarding), you can do it!

There are tons of photos of our fence here: http://javasbarn.blogspot.com/

Thanks! Your fence looks great. The "naysayers" I've come across have all insisted that it's not thick enough to avoid the same danger that regular high tensile wire has... that if a horse were to roll and get stuck that their legs would still get torn up in the wires because they're still too thin.

Smile

I'm glad I came across this thread!

My boyfriend and I are seriously thinking about using this type of fencing for 2 horses (My horse and a companion we plan to get for him).

Your pictures are beautiful, and now give us some ideas to think about!
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

Quote Originally Posted by Javasmom View Post
    I'm not sure why they think the coated wire is dangerous? I have the centaur top rail and 4 strands below, and we love it. And, my super accident prone, roll too close to the fence, stick head through the fence, run into the fence mare is finally not very accident prone. She even kicked the top rail the other day playing around, and I thought to myself, if that was a board, she could have broken the board, maybe needed stiches and I definetly would have had to repair it, if I was not home and it was a board and it had broken, the horses could have gotten out, etc. We also have accientally dropped a small tree or two on our fence and you would never know. Not a mark from the kick or the trees. And, we are on a semi-busy state road, with one paddock close to the road and the horses are safely contained. We have not had a single injury from this fence.

The other important factor is maintenance. The time it takes to maintain a centaur coated steel/wire setup is much less and lets you get to other projects that will always be there on the property. I can't say enough good things about Centaur fence. We ordered it through Double J, we loved ordering through them and they had the best price. We have installed all of our fencing ourselves (hard work, but rewarding), you can do it!

There are tons of photos of our fence here: http://javasbarn.blogspot.com/

Also, are any of your wires the white lightning or are they all the polyplus?

I have both plain high tensile and polyplus. the plain HT predated my arrrival LOL and I don't have it anywhere as a cross fence.

I LOVE the polyplus. My arena is 4 strands and we're adding a top rail for looks more than anything.

When we were putting up the poly to replace the existing HT that kept the horses out of the barnyard, we moved the fence back about 20'. TWH was in barnyard, decided to leave for the pasture, forgot the new fence was going in...and hit it pretty much full gallop. I was horrified, but he just got surprised, rebounded...and he regrouped and found the gate hole. No welt, no lumps, no bumps. Fine.

LOVE the polyplus fence. I don't have any white lightning but wish I did, I had to run a hot wire on the inside of the polyplus fence to keep my cow, err, filly, from pawing it.

Mine is in black and I LOVE it. Didn't want white for the mildew factor here in the deep South.

Anyone hear of the Electro Braid fence? It's supposed to have some give to it, making it safer. I don't know if it's any savings to add electric. It cost me a fortune to add electric to my fence. The system wasn't cheap and neither is all the other material. I also paid for labor so that would save you if you do it yourself but I also needed to buy a drill so they would get the work done faster. He had one drill but it kept him moving to have a second. It was just a friend who did the work, not expensively, but a reasonable hourly fee.

I used flat tape, some I like better than other. I like the wide flat tape, the white 1-2 inch stuff.

Thanks for the compliments!

Our top rail is the 4 inch spur HTP and the lower 4 lines are polystrand htp. we did not get the kind that can be electified, (seems I get shocked more than the horses when I'm near electic).

i honestly am not sure how a horse would cut themselves on the polystrand, it is coated, and smooth, it is tensioned and therefore they should not be able to get tangeled. I would call the folks at Double J and talk to them about your concerns, they have probably heard the good and bad and will help you out. I love that the horses can graze right up to it and not get a scratch, splinter or cut.

Javasmom,

Thanks for kudos for the fencing. You all did a fantastic job installing it, also. We have used PolyPlus on our fencing for 13 years--with no injuries and two were OTTB's. On our
    place in Colorado, we just couldn't swing the 5-inch rail so went with the PolyPlus on
    wood posts. Here in Texas, we have a mish mash, trying to use some of the existing
    pipe posts, some Centaur here, some PolyPlus there, but again no injuries.

Both the OTTB's are big enough that they always have to stick a leg over a bottom strand
    when sticking their heads through for the greener grass. Our bottom strand was too low in
    Colorado and they occasionally pulled a shoe. One summer, I came home and found Basque
    missing his front fly leg bands which had the snaps from H___ to snap or unsnap. My search turned them up by the fence, the ground was stirred up and raced up the hill to check his legs and not a mark or rub on them.

In hindsight, we should have used some White Lightning down here (it wasn't available when we fenced in Colorado) to keep them off the fence as some of my posts are no longer straight due to their leaning on the fencing to graze on that always greener stuff on the other side during wet spells.

We've been selling Centaur products for 6 years and have had no feedback on injuries on any of the products. We did have a customer who re-fenced most of her new propery but
    left some existing Electrobraid up. Her best show horse got tangled in it, taking most of the skin, tendons, etc off the leg and had to be euthanized.

LOL Julie your JD threatened to ship me a kitty cat with our order He was a hoot to chat with and when we get around to redoing our bottom pasture, you guys will definitely get my business again.

Quote Originally Posted by BasqueMom View Post
    Javasmom,
    We did have a customer who re-fenced most of her new propery but
    left some existing Electrobraid up. Her best show horse got tangled in it, taking most of the skin, tendons, etc off the leg and had to be euthanized.
    Yikes! Was the horse caught up in the Electrobraid for sure?

I just lost a yearling filly to the endurasoft rope - similar to electrobraid, but I thought even safer. Somehow she got her leg caught in the strand second from the ground 28 inches up and it took her entire leg off. We had just tightened, made it more secure the weekend before. I "thought" it was safe.

It's hard for me to tell from the pictures, but is the fencing you are talking about similar to the Ramm stuff - the top strand you're using? We only use the endurasoft for cross fencing, the rest is non climb, but I'm scared to death to have it up now. I would like to find an alternative for cross fencing and was considering the ramm type stuff.

Never mind, I learned how to scroll down LOL. Glad to hear you like your fencing, I just got the new Ramm catalog today.
    Last edited by jennywho; May. 4, 2009 at 11:29 PM.

We have a couple pastures of Centaur/polyplus combo. Top rail is the Centuar then 5 stands of coated wire- one is White lightning. As with all wire fences, keeping it hot is a key. They need to respect it to keep them out of the stuff.

We haven't had any issues to date. We do have a pasture that is just 4 rails of the regular Centaur 5 inch. We lost a mare in that field on the fence... but her accident involved one of the line posts ( 5 inch post).

I am going to try to post a couple of pics.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...ine/J269-1.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...quine/J279.jpg

Excuse the house - this pic has a good view of how our fence looks. We had the posts pounded and Dh did the rest himself.

I would add although we have 5 strands of coated wire, the bottom strand is probably more dangerous than it's worth. When we do more, it will be only 4.

dmalbone--that's what the customer told us--wasn't there. Got the impression it was
    still wrapped around her leg when they found her.

Katerine--mind pm'ing your name so I can look up your file. Got me curious. Have three
    orange bottle baby kittens at the moment--we can still send a kitten along.

drj--your place is beautiful. Agree that five strands with top rail is a little much. I like
    the looks of four with the top rail and it looks like your bottom strand should be a little
    higher. We had six strands of PolyPlus in Colorado which is what the dealer recommended
    and they pulled shoes on the bottom strand which was too low to the ground. We have five here where it is all PolyPlus and much happier with that configuration and haven't found any missing shoes by the fence.

My one OTTB likes to put his foot through the fence, act like he can't get free, waits until I get within a few feet of him, turns his body parallel to the fence, retracts the leg very
    gracefully and walks off quite amused with himself.