The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Bumps on Back Under Saddle - Not Sores

Two of our horses have developed bumps on their backs under the saddle. They are not sores but more like hard, nodules. We never use a saddle pad more than once without washing it and the saddles are custom fitted to the horses. It almost seems like ingrown hairs that that have developed into something. They are not tender upon palpating but may be uncomfortable, I'm not sure. The horses really don't seem to mind them but I'm a bit worried they may develop into something significant. The horses get great care, which is why this is a bit puzzling. Our other two horses under saddle don't have this issue. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

I know it's been discussed here before, but I can't remember the name. Collagen something or other.

My mare had them once. They went away just as suddenly several months later. She was also kept very clean and had the same tack & work routine she'd always had, before and after.

They are not spready or dangerous in themselves, but sometimes rub, and if one or more seem to be bothering the horse or rubbing the tack, you can get them injected with cortisone or excised I think?

I think there is no certain (scientifically) cause, if I recall when I researched it before.

Quote Originally Posted by twofatponies View Post
    I know it's been discussed here before, but I can't remember the name. Collagen something or other.
    eosinophilic granuloma

My horse has had these a few times and they've always gone away on their own.

My horse gets them, they go away in the winter and he gets new ones every summer. They don't bother him at all.

Ann Szolas

I have a new horse that has these. I asked my vet and he said they probably will not cause any problem under saddle and they will go away on their own.

He said they can excise them if I want, but didn't think it was necessary.

I just had one injected with steriods because it was right under where the panel would rest. Also, since he's gray, I'd rather keep up with growths as they pop up so when Melanoma starts we know.

She had another name for it... Nodular Necrobiosis... but it's the same thing.

It should be dissolving even as I type this!

I've just finished going through this with my horse. Consensus from vet, chiropractic vet and (lastly) saddle fitter (who I called in after first two recommended I do so) was that my lovely amerigo saddle wasn't fitting my horse right and the pressure caused the bumps (my vet used the term that included collagen .... (fill in the blank). Also, the gel pad I was using was (perhaps) causing too much heat on horse's back.

The saddle fitter said a well-fitting saddle should need nothing more than a plain ol' cotton pad underneath the saddle. A new concept!!!!

Anyhow, for whatever reason, my horse was quite sensitive to the bumps so I've stayed off his back for the last month. He's an IR horse so couldn't inject him with steroids.

My vet had me use a topical spray called "Genesis" that is basically a spray for dogs. It has the same steroidal ingredient in it as animax but since I was giving it topically, my vet felt it wouldn't cause a problem. I used it twice a week, after wetting his back first.

The bumps are now 99.9 percent gone. And he had a ton of them.

Default THANKS ALL

Good info. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    eosinophilic granuloma

Thank you! Brain dead.

If they just showed up, watch them -- if they turn into bumps you can pick away, probably rainrot. I would swipe with an anti-fungal just in case.

My mare get two hard bumps on the left side of her withers if I ride her with a certain saddle. I assumed the saddle did not fit her properly. I have tried her in a different saddle where she does not get the bumps but she just does not seem to like it as much as she is more resistant to use her hind legs and step under herself. I am still searching for a saddle that fits her perfectly, but I still do not know what caues the bumps as its not where the saddle sits on her but in the channel. It really makes no sense to me. The bumps go away about an hour later. Any one ever had a horse like this?

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    eosinophilic granuloma

thank you for putting a name on this. My TWH came with several on his shoulder/chest/lower neck but many resolved on their own while a few remain. One popped up where his saddle sets on his right side. If it doesn't resolve shortly I'll have it excised.

FordTractor these aren't remotely like rain rot...it's almost like there's a pea or BB pellet under the skin. Surface looks 'fine' but there's this little nodule under it.

Interesting!

According to my vet, the permanent ones arise when there's some irritant, often a bug bite, and the immune system goes a little hyper on it and builds up tissue around it.

And they can appear anywhere, but she finds them most commonly in areas that rub from the saddle or girth (which makes sense, since it would increase the irritation).

Just thought I'd share since I'm in the middle of treatment myself. Also, the steroid injection is inexpensive and quite simple (he was sedated anyway for sheath cleaning, but barely flinched). They just inject a bit of a corticosteroid right under the bump.