The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Self Defense for Trail Riders Clinic in Western NC

Hey Guys!

Just want to let everyone know that I booked a clinic with Scot Hansen of HorseThink.com.

He will be here for 2 days and do 4 clinics. Check out his website to see what he is about.

If anyone is interested, let me know and I will get you all the info.

You can either participate or audit.

Hope to meet some new faces!
    All horses can go barefoot, but not all owners can - words of wisdom!

I attended his greatly-shortened version at Equine Extravaganza two years ago in Richmond VA. Short as it was, it was quite informative.

I might be interested in auditing. Shoot me some details.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Choco, you've got an email

Anybody have statistics on how often trail riders are assaulted? I can't think that I've ever heard any accounts from anyone I know. We've probably all seen some creepy people out on the trails, and heck, may have been mistaken for same ourselves.

I'm pretty sure I read that someone contacted the Park Police about Rock Creek Park, which snaking through DC like it does seems like it would lend itself to assaulting riders - and iirc the Park Police did not know of any assaults on riders. Is it more common in the Smokies??

Quote Originally Posted by NC Trail Girl View Post
    Choco, you've got an email
    Got it. Alas, it's on May 30th and I've got plans already, but I'll certainly post this at my two local tack shops for the masses.

JFPG: I don't have statistics but have a big all-too-close example - A female cyclist was raped and murdered on the Silver Comet Trail in 2006, not 200 yards from where I enter the trail off farm property. She made the mistake of riding at the exact same time on the same days each week. Her murderer had watched the SCT traffic for some time, while hiding either in the woods or under the highway overpass. A cross memorial marks the place where he dragged her into the woods....a place where I ride often myself. Alas, the riff raff's trial is only now just coming up: http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...t_slaying.html

I think if you look back through this thread http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...ad.php?t=26702 you'll read more examples of creepy riff raff, etc.

Clinics like Mr. Hansen's are good because they keep us aware, help us hone our "radar" and add to our self-preservation skills. Better to be prepared and never need it.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Really not trying to make light of assault of any kind on anyone - but I notice for crowd control the police still sends in the mounted cops, not the bike squad. WE know what wussy prey animals our beloved ponies are (EEK! A squirrel! is my TB's rallying cry) but most assailants aren't so clued in to that, nor are they carrying squirrels

I am all for awareness and radar and skills! But I also like context, and am skeptical of fear-mongering. I don't know Scott Hansen and bet he gives interesting information - I would still love if anyone has any statistics.

Hope everyone who goes to the clinic finds it fabulous! And if he shares statistics, post 'em!

There were actually 2 incidents from an attacker in our area.. One was on an elderly man and woman (one survived) and the other was on a hiker/jogger who was actually with her dog (did not survive)!

So the more prepared and aware I can be... the better!

I certainly don't want to be a statistic.

Oh and yes I have been approached, but it was back in Boston and I was a lot younger. A group of teens tried to grab my horses bridle and get me bucked off the horse. My horse wouldn't let them get ahold of his bridle so they started shooting slingshots at his behind.. He didn't react and I got away.. but it has always stayed with me in my mind...

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    JFPG: I don't have statistics but have a big all-too-close example - A female cyclist was raped and murdered on the Silver Comet Trail in 2006, not 200 yards from where I enter the trail off farm property. She made the mistake of riding at the exact same time on the same days each week. Her murderer had watched the SCT traffic for some time, while hiding either in the woods or under the highway overpass. A cross memorial marks the place where he dragged her into the woods....a place where I ride often myself. Alas, the riff raff's trial is only now just coming up: http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...t_slaying.html

Justice for Jennifer: GUILTY ON ALL COUNTS! http://www.wsbtv.com/news/19494092/detail.html

Alas, now he'll sit on death row for 18 - 20 years while we pay for his food, clothing, medical/dental care and laywer.

Choco Mare there will be a mounted police training class in Georgia Sept 23. I plan on going do you want the info?

Sure! Thanks!

The two main reasons why mounted patrols are sent in for crowd control is because the
    rider is higher on a horse than on foot or on bike and they can see more. Also just
    the presants of a horse can be intimidating to non-horsey people.

I went to a seminar of his and sat through it all and he is very informative. However, I do a lot of my riding alone and in the back woods in Northern VA. I carry a pistol, I have taken classes, I know how to use it and my horses are around when we target practice. They don't like the sound but it is no longer something they bolt from either.

Just the site of a pistol on someone's hip has given those I have met on the trail pause. I usually back Terry up a few steps, I ask that they too stop as I say my horse bites or he is "working" and does not like to be touched. I feel safer, my husband isn't so worried when I go out, and even my friends, when they can ride, say they too feel a lot safer when I am with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl View Post
    Anybody have statistics on how often trail riders are assaulted? I can't think that I've ever heard any accounts from anyone I know. We've probably all seen some creepy people out on the trails, and heck, may have been mistaken for same ourselves.

I'm pretty sure I read that someone contacted the Park Police about Rock Creek Park, which snaking through DC like it does seems like it would lend itself to assaulting riders - and iirc the Park Police did not know of any assaults on riders. Is it more common in the Smokies??
    When I went to Scot's clinic/demo at Equine Affaire in 08, he actually stated that one of the reasons he DID start taking an interest in teaching people how to protect themselves on horseback was that there really aren't "offical" statistics. . .but that there are a LOT of personal stories of "incidents" with creepy people.

I like the fact that Scot teaches as much about preventing an attack in the first place, as he does about protecting yourself DURING an attack. Quite a bit of common-sense, but necessary, information about recognizing predator behavior and being aware of your surroundings. It also includes the liability factor - being very loud and direct when they approach you ("STOP, don't come any closer!" or "NO, you CANNOT pet my horse!") in case someone else is nearby. That way, if the attacker persists and gets hurt by you or the horse in the process and there were other witnesses who saw/heard you tell them to back off, the attacker can't later say that they "just wanted to pet the horse, and suddenly the rider tried to run me over!"

Two local towns are in the process of constructing a paved walking/bike trail through the state park where I ride, to connect the towns. Not that I have anything against the project in itself, and it isn't going to be using the exact trails I ride, but it WILL be an increase in people-traffic at the park. I think I may need to re-watch Scot's DVD for a brief refresher course. . .

I would love to actually participate in one of his clinics!
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.