The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fairfax Kennels Burned?

I heard this, does anyone have any further info about it?

What you heard is true but I don't know if members and staff care to have details shared with the public.

Posted on a Fairfax County-related website:

Email reports are coming in saying that the Fairfax Hunt’s kennels at Red Hill, near Arcola, here in Loudoun County, have been destroyed today by a sudden and disastrous fire of unknown origin.

Three staff horses and the hound puppies are said to have perished, but apparently many hounds were rescued through a hole cut in the fence.

The Fairfax Hunt meets at fixtures in eastern and western Loudoun County, Virginia, and its pack last year consisted of 31 couple of Crossbred Foxhounds.

What a horrible thing!
    —————————————————————-

Update 3/11, 2:13 PM EDT:

Professional Huntsman Kevin Palmer is reported to have saved 90% of the pack. Some puppies were apparently among the hounds rescued.

And from the Loudoun Times:

By Jason Jacks
    Source: Loudoun Times-Mirror
    WEDNESDAY, MARCH 11 2009
    UPDATED WEDNESDAY, MARCH 11 2009

An early morning blaze tore through a barn and kennel located along a rural road south of Leesburg March 11, killing 16 dogs and three horses.
    The fire, which started sometime before 7:15 a.m., occurred at facility used by the Fairfax Hunt club. The facility, which is just off Stone School Lane and a couple miles north of U.S. 50, houses stables and kennels for fox-hunting enthusiasts.

At least 60 animals, mostly dogs, were at the property when the fire broke out.

“It's a sad way for them to go,” said the property's owner, Randolph Rouse, who said among the dead dogs were 10 full-grown hounds and six puppies. The three horses killed where the only horses at the facility at the time of the fire, he said.

The commanding officer on site, Doug Rambo, said the facility was fully engulfed when firefighting units arrived. He described the fire as intense.

“When we got here, we knew we weren't going in,” he said.

As of noon, neighbors and county animal control officials were still rounding up wayward dogs that had fled the property when the fire erupted. At least 40 have so far been located.

Meanwhile, those dogs hurt in the fire were being tended to by teams of veterinarians who had descended on the property.

Several veterinarians could be seen aiding one dog who was covered in dark burn marks.

Responding to the blaze were firefighting units from Arcola, Aldie, Dulles South, Purcellville, Leesburg, Hamilton, Sterling and Middleburg.

No persons were injured. A cause has not yet been determined.
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy: http://tinyurl.com/kj7x53c
    Stash: http://tinyurl.com/mmm3p4e

Very sad. My condolences to all involved.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

Fox 5 News said an old refridgerator was in the barn. This may have sparked the fire. Remember, of course, this tragedy is still under official investigation. Sadly, 3 horses died in the fire and several Hunting dogs; including puppies. Sincere condolences to the owners.

The link to the Loundoun Times article - which appears to be periodically updated

http://www.loudountimes.com/news/200...s-killed-fire/

My deepest condolences to the Masters, Staff and members of Fairfax Hunt.

It was on the news, TV channel 7 tonight in DC. Sad.
    One of a Kind Studio
    Equestrian Art and Portraits
    Landscape Design
    Farm Layout and Design

I heard about this early this morning on FOL, but didn't post, as JSwan said I wasn't sure if it was appropriate. But now that it is in the media, my deepest condolences.

I really hope it was the fridge and not something more sinister.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

What terrible, sad news. Condolences to all and many wishes for a speedy recovery to those who were hurt. Just awful news.

My most heartfelt condolences. Very sad.

One of my friends who is a hunt member ,and was at the scene today said they brought in arson detecting dogs,but found no accelerants. I guess that is something. The puppies were under a heat lamp ,so perhaps that was the culprit? Horrible,absolutely horrible. My friend emailed me pictures and they were gruesome. I will probably have nightmares. The horses were in the barn,washed and prepared to hunt this am. If it had been a non hunting day they would have been out in the field. Ugh. it makes my stomach hurt.

I wish to give deepest condolences to Masters, Staff and members of Fairfax... what a horrible thing to have happened.

Godspeed dear ones and condolences to all involved. So sad....
    ** I LOVE PUIKA & SHELLA FAN CLUB*** member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Good job R&G!
    You may now add Horsesaver Extraordinaire to your resume

Corinne Guest

Default Thanks to Everyone

We have to thank all the veterinarians, fire companies, neighbors, and friends, and animal rescue, who arrived to help control the fire, treat the injured hounds and round up the hounds which huntsman, Kevin Palmer, was able to free by pulling out and cutting the chain link fence.

We also have to thank the neighboring hunts who have offered to house some of the hounds until we can rebuild, and to allow our members to hunt with them without charging capping fees.

Finally I have nothing but praise for the Palmer family for their quick reaction and heroic response in saving as many of the pack as they did.

Unhappy Sad....

I saw on the local tv news that the fire marshall has decided it was the old refrigerator in the barn as the culprit. 3 huntsmans horses are hard to replace and those precious puppies & hounds! . How horrific. Saw pictures of some burned hounds and my heart breaks for them. May we all never have to experience anything like this....ever.
    Years ago I leased that barn before FH moved there and know it well. Pretty place. All wood structure. We used to store hay overhead too. It was a horse barn with kennels added.

My sincerest best wishes to our hunting family & friends in the Fairfax Hunt; may they have many great seasons to come!!

Default Photos from the Loudoun Extra

Thanks for the link, Jennifer. I'd be interested in more info if anyone can provide it- this appears to be a fundraiser specifically for injured hounds that have gone to rescue because their injuries are such that they can't hunt anymore, which I can well imagine. Is there also any fundraising going on for kennel rebuilding and help with hounds still in kennels? Just looking to see how to most effectively divvy up available contribution money!

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Alcott View Post
    This link says "None of these six would have been treated without the commitment of LDCRF" (Lost Dog & Cat Rescue Foundation).

Maybe none would have been treated BY THEM, but are they really trying to say they would have not been treated?

Beverley:

From Fairfax Hunt's website:

A number of people have voluntarily made a donation to the care of the hounds and to the cost of replacing the building and equipment. For those so inclined, we would indeed appreciate help.

Contributions can also be sent by mail to:

The Fairfax Hunt
    c/o James Hamlin
    125 North Lee Street #409
    Alexandria, Virginia 22314
    jhamlin@thefairfaxhunt.com

They have put up a nice "In Memoriam" page on their website:

http://www.fairfaxhuntraces.org/in_memoriam.html
    Last edited by Mudroom; Mar. 31, 2009 at 03:03 PM.