The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Winning recognized shows with TBs?

I have a really nice TB and I would like to know if anyone has has success showing TBs at recognized shows. Are certain judges more harsh on them than others? If my TB can do the work can I at least get a bronze metal with one?

I will be honest. Judges are not supposed to distinquish the ride by breed. While you are showing, note the judges that say constructive things and nice things about your horse. Show under those judges and avoid the ones that say things about the breed. One last tip, make sure you aren't losing points for geometry, and know your tests, they can make or break you.

Love showing your TB, I do and horse willing I will have my bronze on mine this year. Good luck.

Thumbs up Thoroughbred Year end...

Just another thought.. I'm pretty sure that they now have a system for thoroughbreds year end awards... Not too sure how it works in the dressage world... However, thoroughbred or not, if he can be forward, engaged from his hind end and be supple, go for it.
    The only thing I've ever heard that is "bad" about thoroughbreds is the fact that some tend to be to stiff/tense through their back/neck...
    But then again, most dressage people think my mare should be a dressage horse... She is like riding a giant gummy bear 90% of the time because of how soft she has became but when she goes into race horse mode... forget it
    Good luck showing your thoroughbred! I sure love mine and she has turned out to be more than I ever expected from her...

I've seen lots of super nice full Thoroughbreds and many many really nice Thorouughbred crosses. I think if you go with a non-traditional breed, you have less amount of breed prejudice/bias than other breeds, say an Arab or Draft.

But I show an Arab, and I've only seen breed-prejudice once: at a hunter show. I think people hear about one case of this, freak out, and make it into a much bigger deal than it is. In a good judge (on terms of breed-prejudice) to bad judge there are a lot more good judges! People just talk about the bad more than the good, I think.

But even if you do face some breed-prejudice: Meh. That's one judge, and one judge that you can afford to not show under. Obviously that judge needs to improve on their judging.

But overall, your Thoroughbred sounds lovely and just have a good time.

A good horse is a good horse and a good ride will be rewarded regardless of horse breed. If your horse is through, loose and correct and if you ride an accurate test, you will do well if not win your class. My advice: erase any thought about breed biases. Judges usually reward the best ride;concentrate on making sure you have the best ride rather than on the breed you are riding.

Honestly, unless you have TB branded on his forehead I doubt you'll stand out like a sore thumb. My old TB mare was mistaken for a warmblood many, many times. My trainer rides a Hano/Tb cross who wins many recognized events, and he is more Tb than Hano. My OTTB six year old gelding trumps a few warmbloods at my barn in movement. (I also have a dutch warmblood so I'm not prejudiced ). I know someone else who has a lovely TB doing third level at recognized shows. The funniest part about all this breed prejudice is that I have an imported dutch warmblood that many a judge has asked if he is a quarter horse! He's a little short for a WB. No one has ever scored me unfairly because of my non-quarter horse quarter horse .

A clinician I ride with regularly competed her TB to GP. She's a also a judge and happens to like TBs, which is why my boy is flourishing in her program. Just because someone is a dressage judge doesn't mean they automatically dislike TBs. And it's even rarer that a breed preference would even influence their judgement.
    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

Quote Originally Posted by dwblover View Post
    The funniest part about all this breed prejudice is that I have an imported dutch warmblood that many a judge has asked if he is a quarter horse! He's a little short for a WB. No one has ever scored me unfairly because of my non-quarter horse quarter horse .

Lol, maybe you can re-negotiate the price a posteriori, because you don't get the automatic "oh, ah, oh, must be an imported WB" response, which is guaranteed in most import contracts and the most important reason to import at all
    Last edited by InsideLeg2OutsideRein; Feb. 9, 2009 at 11:44 PM.
    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

I have ridden a few TB's that I've liked as much as any Warmblood I've ridden. I used to be terrified of TB's but now my 2nd horse is a OTTB. He is a little hot and likes to dance, but man when he is doing his thing he's really something. My main horse is a full Hano. I love them both and they seem to be complete opposites as far as how they ride, but both equally talented and athletic. Well, not complete opposites, my Hano is very forward! Anyways, I'm really torn, but I'm thinking of selling the WB. I figure sell the money horse while I keep my TB and enjoy him instead. I just wish my TB had a personality. My WB is silly and a little annoying, but oh-so friendly. Both are work-a-holics. TB doesn't seem to be affectionate, but is easy to handle and quiet. I guess I'm just trying to find out how he'd do in a real dressage ring. Thanks for the input.

I have scribed a lot and honestly after watching tests all day a judge is desperate to see a good test. On any horse. A mule. A camel. Anything. I am exaggerating but it is true.
    "What's so funny 'bout Peace Love and Understanding?" Elvis Costello

Really, if I can win first level classes with my loudly spotted appy, I can't see how you would need to worry about a traditional looking TB. And yes, I'm working towards my bronze, too. Hoping to show 2nd level this year, all things being sound an equal!

Quote Originally Posted by Arathita View Post
    A good horse is a good horse and a good ride will be rewarded regardless of horse breed. If your horse is through, loose and correct and if you ride an accurate test, you will do well if not win your class. My advice: erase any thought about breed biases. Judges usually reward the best ride;concentrate on making sure you have the best ride rather than on the breed you are riding.
    Well said!

The only thing I'd add is I've seen many a Thoroughbred do quite well in dressage, even in big competitive classes! Go out and show your horse and enjoy!
    www.MysticOakRanch.com Friesian/Warmblood Crosses, the Ultimate Sporthorse
    Director, WTF Registry

I've shown my TB several times and have always gotten nice comments from the judges about what a nice, willing horse he is. He's not a world beater by any means but he's got 7s for gaits and they've only been getting better the stronger he gets. When I ride him well (and accurately) we get some really scores. We gonna be going for regionals at first and second level this year.
    I don't think that there is a bias out there towards thoroughbreds - atleast not one that I have seen. If you ride well, and ride accurately, and your horse is loose and happy, then you should be rewarded for a good test no matter what bread your on.

For what its worth people often mistake my warmblood for a tb and we haven't had any trouble getting fair scores Really as long as the tb is a good weight and well muscled most people won't be able to tell the difference.
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes" ~ Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by jumpingmaya View Post
    Just another thought.. I'm pretty sure that they now have a system for thoroughbreds year end awards...
    Heres alink to the TB awards system:

http://www.thoroughbredsfordressage.com/

Show under "S" level judges - they tend to be breed blind (hence a medium pony won over my 16.3 hand SWB in Training level many years ago).
    Sandy in Fla.

Quote Originally Posted by Gayla View Post
    I have scribed a lot and honestly after watching tests all day a judge is desperate to see a good test. On any horse. A mule. A camel. Anything. I am exaggerating but it is true.
    I agree. A good test will make the judge happy -- on a mule, a camel, a goat, even a TB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

I did extremely well on my OTTB at Intro, Training and First (haven't shown in 3 years). We did win championships. I know, I know, St. Louis is the suckiest place on earth for dressage, or so I have been told. But I didn't see any prejudice and I will tell you that we beat many traditional warmbloods.

I agree, when I scribed, all the judges simply wanted everyone to ride a great test. The breed never came into the equation.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Quote Originally Posted by jumpingmaya View Post
    Just another thought.. I'm pretty sure that they now have a system for thoroughbreds year end awards...
    yes, there are awards for TBs in all disciplines in the North American Series. Plus awards and sponsorships in shows, here's the 2009 prize list http://www.hellohorse.com/prize_list.htm

To the OP, you should be fine, no reason not to get a bronze on a TB. There have been Gold Medal and Gold Bar TBs...

remember thoroughbreds were the "in" breed several decades ago. folks would have gone wall eyed if you told them you were showing a WB. I'd personally take a TB over a WB any day, any situation.
    yes, you can succeed
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble