The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sigh... Mice trashed my horse trailer.

This last year I did not go to lessons or shows, and my rehabbing horses only went to the vet clinic. I did not use or even look into the 5' dressing room section of my gooseneck that I have fixed up for overnights..... I should have. Seems after being parked for 12 years in the same spot, trouble free, mice (about a hundred from the looks of it) discovered the Taj Majhal of living places and totally trashed the interior over a year's time. Today I cleaned it out. There were at least 3 generations of decomposed mouse bodies in the corners. Layers of mouse nests and droppings. All the bedding, electric blanket, and clothing went in the garbage cans. Luckily, I had taken the TV and microwave into the house. The little refrigerator works but, after removing the nests, the back side motor and wiring is cemented with a half inch crust of mouse droppings. My trusty clock radio was crusted as well, threw that away. Happily, the mattress was protected by several layers and is clean.

Scarf over nose and disinfectant in rubber gloved hand and bucket, I shop vac'd, sprayed and scrubbed the entire interior all afternoon. Hosed and disinfected the rug and bench cushion cover. My trailer now smells like a pine forest.

LESSON: Keep mouse poison bait in a corner at all times. Take a look inside occasionally.
    Last edited by Plumcreek; Jan. 25, 2009 at 01:30 AM.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

I don't even think I'd be able to clean that out! (Where is the vomit icon?!?)

At least the damage wasn't *too* bad!

Ugh! You can SEE why the Egyptians worshipped cats!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nightsong View Post

Yea...I definitely would have had to call someone to clean that up, and would have the whole thing gutted...and honestly, probably wouldn't sleep in there again, so major points to you for cleaning that out.

A mouse or 2 doesn't bother me, and cleaning up some droppings, no big deal...but what you're describing...not a prayer.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

So get some feral cats and put 4 clean litter boxes, plenty of cat food and fresh water, enough to last for 3 days minimum and release 3 feral cats in there. I think your problem would be solved. Make sure you leave enough clean cat litter and be generous with dry food and water. Cats think mice are fun, they will be wiped out in no time. And it's safer than poison. Sometimes mice hide the poison where the horses find it. They've carried poison from one area into a horses stall. If it weren't the green pellets you wouldn't have noticed. If it tastes good to a mouse it would no doubt taste good to a horse.

In Delaware and surrounding states you could call http://www.forgottencats.org/index.php

I actually found the mouse mess a few weeks ago. Trailer is parked up by the house, no chance of posion bait getting near horses. I threw in some green bait, and it was gone one hour later. Threw in some more, gone again. Threw in a third dose, closed door and went into denial until yesterday. At least I did not have live mice erupting from the bedding as I pulled everything out. Even I could not deal with that. I will probably go another disinfecting round before I sleep in there again.

I left green bait in there on a white towel so I can see any new mouse droppings - none so far, so I may be OK for the future - killed off the ones who know about the trailer

That was one of the funnier things I have read in a while-- thank you!!

And cats have never forgotten this ...

*Star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Good one!! I also worship cats.

You are in CO, so Hanta virus is a real concern.
    If you start feeling like you have the flu, go to the dr and tell them about cleaning where mice have been living.

In our area, we lose someone to that every so often, after they cleaned after mice.

I have never seen a vehicle that had a serious infestation being smell free afterwards.
    They tend to always smell again when the conditions are right, like you turn the heater on, it gets very hot and humid, etc.

I sure hope you can get the trailer smell free after all.
    Try some enzymatic cleaners after the desinfectants.

I wonder if the extra strength Febreeze will help and wear a mask in there when you do anything. That is so scary to risk that Hanta virus, yikes.

I used Febreeze when I transported 2 feral tom cats to be neutered and they sprayed the back of my pickup truck. It stunk for a week after and that was outside so I bought the extra strong Febreeze and sprayed it a lot a couple times and it never smelled again. It's worth a try. But I think discinfecting is most important. I would think that the smell would really cling to fabrics.

Default snap traps

I keep them in both my horse and travel trailer. thanks for reminding me to go put in some new bait.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Bluey, the way I understand it, Hanta Virus is only transmitted by the mice with white feet and bellies. My mice were plain gray ones. Am I right on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Plumcreek View Post
    Bluey, the way I understand it, Hanta Virus is only transmitted by the mice with white feet and bellies. My mice were plain gray ones. Am I right on this?
    Unfortunately, no. While your standard Hanta virus is usually transmitted by Peromyscus maniculatus, which is the deer mouse (your white bellied mouse), there are sub strains that can also be carried by Mus musculus, which is the house mouse (your little grey mouse.)

http://vir.sgmjournals.org/cgi/conte...act/69/12/3129

http://www.cdc.gov/Ncidod/diseases/h...es/rodents.htm

After starlings nested in the heat vent of our camper for two years in a row, I sold the camper. Thought of lice, rotten eggs, dead babies, poop etc. and stuff in the insulation creeped me out. Sold it cheaply to a neighbour, starlings and all. He didn't seem to care and wanted a hunting camper. Yuck - and good luck!!

Thanks, Simkie. You always really know your science.
    After 45 years of this mousy rural lifestyle, why am I not dead?
    Our former house constantly had deer mice.

Would leaving the doors open to freezing weather help sanitize it? Or would more critters come in for the wind break? Someone on another thread mentioned getting rid of house mites by putting rugs outside in below 32 weather for 48 hours as a way to get rid of house mites in rugs, chairs etc.

Your poor trailer! You are braver than I...I would have turned the clean up into a "honey do" project. Glad you got it cleaned up.

Quote Originally Posted by ride3day View Post
    Your poor trailer! You are braver than I...I would have turned the clean up into a "honey do" project. Glad you got it cleaned up.
    Seriously?? There exists a husband who would do that for a horsey wife? Maybe in the first two yers of marriage. Heh. They get wise fast.

I see you live in Santa Barbara. I grew up there when it was a horse-friendly town, long ago. I'm jealous.