The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What makes a 'time waster' in regard to buying?

What would you classify as a 'time waster' in regard to buying a horse? Just curious because we enquired about a horse (with full intention of buying him, should he suit our needs) but declined him once we tried him twice and found he wasn't what we required - now I see him advertised, and a note at the bottom of the ad reads 'no time wasters' - we were the first to try him, before he was officially for sale. So, what, to you, makes a time waster in a potential buyer? To me, generally no one is a time waster, because in order to see whether the said horse is what buyer wants/needs, they need to actually try it before accepting or declining the sale.

mmm it can be a different thing for different people.

I had an odd..time waster phone call last night, that took me ages to get off the phone.

A person called saying they had heard that I had a big leopard appy gelding (yes. I do.._ not for sale)
    Anyhow, said person then asks all about him etc etc, because at some point she wants a leopard appy, and wanted to call me, and introduce herself in case she at some point in the future...totally undefined to herself even... might be interested in buying him. Mmkk. Nice enough person, but was still an odd call. I have other horses that possibly could be available - but she wants this one.. some day..*confused my poor little brain! *

If he had been for sale- I would classify that..as a time waster.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

I'm sure to a seller anyone who comes to try their horse and doesn't buy it is a time waster.

To me, if you're actually possibly interested in buying the horse, you're ahead of 90% of the people on the time wasting scale. I'd classify time wasters as those who have no intention of buying the horse, no matter what. Above them are those who are probably not going to buy the horse, but could if it knocks their socks off, those who are looking for something a little different but might settle, those who can't quite reach the price but are hoping you'll haggle, those who aren't ready for a horse NOW but might be SOON, etc.

At the very top there are people who are buying a horse, have the money now, and think the horse in question could be the one. Of those, most of them will still not buy the horse.

When we sold off all the horses when I quit after high school I felt like someone had wasted my time. This woman talked to me on the phone for a few days, then decided to finally come out. Well she decided after that to keep coming and riding day after day after day. One week later I asked if she liked him and she said he was too tall The ad clearly stated how tall he was, with pictures, and even gave my height as a reference. Not to mention she came and rode every day for a week without even mentionning this. In the mean time I had to deny possible appointments because I didn't know if she'd stop coming or if she'd buy him.

So I describe a time waster as someone who continues to be interested in the horse, you feel as though the sale may be closing, and then they say something is wrong with the horse. And that something was listed clearly in the ad and obvious the entire time they were there. I was peeved

Time wasters:

Calling on a horse that is way out of the price range because it's what the caller would love to have, but will never be able to afford.
    Calling on a horse clear across the country when the caller has no intention of getting on an airplane and seeing it.
    Children calling on horses- wishful thinking.
    Parents calling on horses with unrealistic notions of what and where their children are in their riding. If you finally talk to the trainer, you find out that it would never be a match.
    Showing horses to trainers' clients as "fillers". Trainer already knows what they want client to have, but need to satisfy client's wish to "sit on a bunch of horses"

Having said that, I've talked to/ met on the phone tons of really nice people when I've had ads out there! Fortunately, I like people.

well I guess you could qualify me as a time waster when I was looking for a horse. I did go to one breeder's farm where I knew her stock was too young for my needs. I told the lady so much. But she greeted me and proudly showed me all her horses for sale and we talked for hours. What a time waster I was!
    BUT because she did take the time and never was anxious for me to leave, I sent some people to her farm who did happen to buy.
    I've actually done this twice.

Another time I called a lady about a pony I was really interested in buying who I guess thought I was a time waster. Just because I ask a lot of questions does NOT make me a time waster. So I asked for pics and videos etc., got those and called AND e-mailed to set up an appointment. She never answered back. She also lost a sale and I never mention her to people looking.

I think that time wasters can be both, buyers and sellers.

Ever go look at a horse guaranteed to be a certain size and come up to something over a hand off?

Selling and buying horses means you have to put up with whoever has something to buy or sell.
    Some people you love to talk to, others are a pain, but all are worthy of your time, if you want to buy or sell that horse.

Or let someone else do that for you, as I do when I have a horse for sale.

In the op's situation, just keep looking at horses until you find your match, that may be in the hands of a grumpy seller or the nicest, more pleasant person in the world.
    There are all kinds of people out there, just as they are all kinds of horses.

Or go to the better horse sales, where you can look at many horses in one place and don't have to interact much with the sellers, if they are there at all.

Default time waster

I want any horse I sell to find the perfect home. so if it just is not a good fit I do not consider it a waste of time to have shown the horse. not only is the potential buyer determining if the horse is right for them I am determining (or trying to) if they are right for the horse. size is one of those funny things. 16-1 hands is not always the same thing. I have one 16-1 hand horse that wears and 84" blanket and is slab sided and one that wears a 78" blanket and is round sided. the ride is totally different on each. so I would not be upset if I advertise the horses size and still the size does not fit. I consider the biggest time wasters to be people who do not know how to ride, come and try a horse with gobs of training and then declare the horse too green for them because they have not a clue how to ride. around here kicking a horse is not the way to ask it to go forward and our horses do not like to be yanked around by their mouths. most likely that will tick them off. people who claim to be riding and a certain level and are not anywhere in the neighborhood really waste my time. jmo

When I sold my ArabX, the list was fairly simple...

Kids emailing, repeatedly, asking for pictures because he`s `pretty`

Kids emailing repeatedly to set up times to view him, and refusing to give me contact information for their parents. No dice.

I didn't really consider much to be a time waster in person... The only one I think I did was one specific person, who wanted to come with their 11yo daughter to try the horse. He wasn't what I'd call a kids horse, although he'd have suited the RIGHT kid. It was -30 and they insisted on trying him THAT day. (I was sick, to boot). Didn't ask questions about the horse, didn't seem to want me to ask questions about his daughter. Tried to tell him, he's a lot of horse for most kids. Oh, she's experienced, she'll be fine. I hung out for an hour in the arena, in -30 (thank god for heaters) with horse tied in arena...person shows up, trainer and 5' nothing daughter in tow, they look him over, don't even TOUCH him... and he goes "Well, I don't think we'll ride him. He looks like a lot of horse, and we really wanted something taller." How mucht aller? "OH, at least 16.2"... Yeah...ok... If I were going to misrepresent my 15.3hh geldings height, I wouldn't have been downgrading it!!!!! That, to me, was a time waster.

I won't say all window-shoppers are time wasters...because truly - if you're not looking to buy but really like the look of something - and are up front about that, and then proceed to point business in the sellers direction, that can be more beneficial than anything.
    *&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
    "Show me the back of a thoroughbred horse, and I will show you my wings."
    &*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&

Time wasters are those who inquire about a horse, get a video, have a full and comprehensive description of size, age, level of training, breed, etc. and then respond whether they come out or not "too young, too small, wrong breed or color" --

The others are those who have an inflated idea of their skill level especially with a young horse and just don't get it.

I had a guy call me last fall in the middle of an Alabama game (!!) and want to come out and see the horses -- they were riding around looking for something to do and might want to buy some horses later on when they get some land -- have small kids. I would never have anything that would fit that, but he was really insistent about dropping in because he was "in the area" -- I just laughed and said nothing would drag me away from watching my Team (even though he mentioned we had the game well in hand -- doesn't matter if you are a rabid fan!). That is definately a time waster and totally inconvenient. Needless to say, I said "NO!"

There are alot of time wasters or tire kickers unfortunately -- that's the nature of the business and you just have to tolerate it to some degree to finally match one up.
    PennyG

Default Time Waster???

For me the person that makes an appointment. I sit at the barn waiting for them and they never show up. THAT is a time waster. Anyone else? If they come, I classify it as they were not interested in my horse, or I didn't explain my horse correctly.

THOUGH, I did have two young girls, one maybe 13, one 22? Come out and try a 9 year old TB mare, they played Parelli on the ground with her for over an hour (this is after they knew I rented the indoor for an hour, it was cold and my young baby under a year and 3 year old daughter were in the truck waiting). They proceeded to ride her for 45 minutes, but the 13 year old was too scared to get out of a trot. THAT to me was a time waster. I think they just wanted to go around and play with horses. They never said a word when they left, they never emailed or called. Other then that only those that don't show up!
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

OP, sounds like they are just bitter you didn't like the horse.

Time wasters to me...

- kids emailing. It's pretty obvious when you are dealing with a preteen. Then you tell them you aren't giving any info until their parent calls, and you never hear from them again

- people who aren't truly ready to buy (as in, they need to sell a horse first). Tell me that up front and I'm okay with it. But I hate writing a string of 10 emails, 5 phone calls, sending 50 pics and videos, just for someone to tell me, 'thanks for your time, but I have to sell my horse first'.

- people shopping out of their price range. Be up front about this so neither of us waste our time. If my horse is $15k and the most you can afford is $10k, let me know what kind of budget you are working with FIRST, and I will tell you if I would consider it or not. Don't tell me that after emails, calls, and after riding the horse!

- people who set up appointments and never come. I don't care if you get cold feet, decide you don't like my horse that much, just call me before I waste my time taking off work to meet you at the barn

- people who spend an hour with you on the phone, emails, then trainer & student come to ride horse. They look like an awesome pair, everything's going great. Then they simply dismount and say they will call you. And they leave so abruptly that they almost forget their saddle And never call, or offer any reason why they suddenly are not interested any longer
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

Someone who is "thinking about buying a horse" is a time waster.

Someone who has decided to buy a horse, and is thinking about buying yours based on what you've advertised ... not a time waster.

-The two people who made appointments to see my horse, knowing I had to trailer her to meet them, confirmed with an hour of the appointment, and did not show.

-The lady who said she wanted a sound trail horse and then showed up and said she wanted a beginner lesson horse. I was clear that the horse was not for beginners on the phone!!

As much as it pains me, I respond to every inquiry politely and with lots of information. That SIM playing kid might really be shopping.

I trekked 5 hours with a friend who was looking for a horse and our trainer. There were 5 barns to visit over two days. In two instances, my friend instantly didn't like the horse for whatever reason, but the trainer said she should still ride it. This was probably a time waster because my friend wasn't going to come around!

BUT, on the same trip the last horse she looked at was a fabulous Elite Hanoverian mare. The owner rode her first, then our trainer. My friend couldn't get the horse to do anything--not even walk forward! I'm sure the owner figured we were completely wasting his time. The trainer was so absolutely certain that this horse was a good fit, that my friend took another 5 hour trip to see the horse and had a bit more success in riding her. End of story: She bought the mare. So that potential wasted time turned out to be the sale.

Footnote: The trainer was right; they are getting along fabulously.

Sidebar lesson: LISTEN to your trainer when evaluating horses!

As a buyer: going to see horses that are lame, or misrepresented. Being told that the photo is "bad", but the horse loves XC. Driving #$% hours to find out that the horse is majorly downhill and - important for an event prospect - WILL NOT JUMP IN THE RING... Not even with the trainer. That was a long wasted day. We'd set up several other appointments for the same day to look at other horses - none of them were as represented.

People who come look at a 15.3 TB mare and say they "thought she'd be taller".

People who look at 4 yos and then say they need something "less green".

People who come out and look at a horse who says "experienced rider" in the ad, and then say they "need something quieter".

Ugh.

Jennifer

A lady contacted me a while ago and said she was very interested in our mare - after seeing many photos and a video of her, and multiple emails, she came out.

The mare was only 2yo and our arena wasn't fenced, so in order to show the her at liberty (without running around a huge pasture in the rain with the rest of her herd running around with her), we had to trailer her to a local barn and reserve their arena, etc. The lady met us at our place first, met the mare, was able to see her cross tied and brushed, review her conformation, etc. The lady still said she was very interested, so we went ahead and hauled the mare to the other farm. Once there, the horse showed herself off really well. Good manners, pretty movement, etc. Being a youngster still, we did not have her clipped, so on this warmish winter day she got pretty wet running around even though we didn't ask much of her.... we walked her for a while there, then we threw an irish knit on her and brought her home to finish drying her out. After we got back to our place, the lady talked to us a bit more about the mare while we rubbed her down, etc. When she was ready to go, she said that she loved our mare, she was just what she had in mind - but she wasn't really ready to buy a horse yet, she just wanted to 'see what's out there' for now. WHAT??? We spent another hour and a half at our place after she left until our mare was dry enough to put her regular blanket back on and go back out into her field (she had really long hair). With all that, it had taken us more than half a day to show her, trailer her to this other farm, cool her out, etc. I wonder how many other people this lady did this to so that she could 'window shop'. ug.
    Work - feed - ride - shovel poop - repeat.

It's funny. When I was horse shopping I came across a horse that I really, REALLY liked. Slightly over my budget, and much MUCH greener than I was really shopping for. Seller was the breeder.

Called anyways at the encouragement of the trainer (who also said, a little more $$, way too green, but could be an amazing match). Talked to the breeder, laid it all out because I didn't want to waste her time, and she said come anyways.

I brought the mare home a week later.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

I guess when it comes down to buyers who actually end up showing up (like the OP did), I would consider it a time waster if:

-buyer is not in a position to buy but fails to mention it earlier and give me the option of showing the horse or not

-buyer has some specific needs in mind that are not covered in the advert but fails to mention it til they come out. (ie: They want a seasoned jumper but you have the horse advertised as a roping horse. Or they want a paint and you're selling a solid sorrel)

-buyer who misrepresents their ability which could've saved us all the trip

-buyer who is unable or unwilling to make a decision on their own but fails to bring the appropriate people with them...wants you to hold the horse...but doesn't want to pay a deposit.

I dunno. I'd be pretty flexible (especially in this market) if someone was at least honest over the phone or via email of any issues, needs, etc they had.

Having not been on that end though, I'm sure I'm missing something. Did waste a LOT of time last year on the buyer end though. Shopping for a friend. My lord. Some of the sellers could've saved us ALL some time if they were more honest in representing their horses.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...