The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mission Accomplished

Tonight Mr. FG and myself bundled up Little FG and took her out to the barn. I am there most evenings, if I can't get there usually Mr. FG swings by to check on Windsor. But Little FG hasn't been out since Fall.

Anyway most nights when I come home she will ask "How is Windsor?" and want to know what I did with him. She is only 2.5 years old but amazingly articulate. She will ask if he got brushed, fed, if I pet his nose, tucked him in, etc. So she was ridiculously happy to actually get to go with me tonight.

Mr. FG is admittedly a little nervous to have her in the barn, protective daddy that he is, so it was heart attack city for him. But she loved every minute!

She helped me feed him, groom him, and she even helped me pick out his stall. She kept commanding Win to SIT but we had to explain he is a bit different from our Golden Retriever and doesn't know how to sit!

On the way home, she asked me if I would get her a "little helmet," and put Windsor on "the leash," so she could "ride him fast!"

I never wanted to push her towards the horse thing, or anything that was not entirely HER idea or her interest. But.. I think I see family trail rides in our future..... (maybe Mr. FG can ride alongside in a tractor instead of on a horse....! )
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Like mother, like daughter - you'll be doing leadline before you know it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
    Like mother, like daughter - you'll be doing leadline before you know it!
    I KNOW I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!

(I even have two ponies picked out for her. )

Awwww...

LMEqT came out to the barn tonight while I was wrapping Dinky's foot.

Her pony, Rosie, was in the next stall.

So I told her to go on in and give her some love, as she had gotten her teeth done today.

She goes in.. turns to pull the door shut and her expression is of absolute pure innocent glee. Oh! To be in her ponys stall AT NIGHT, what a priviledge.

I could hear her in there talking... she cannot say her R's so she calls her Whoasie.. she told her all about her day at school, asked her about seeing the dentist, told her it doesn't really hurt, told her she would be able to ride her soon.. it was so cute.

Miss Rosie stood there the entire time, never moved an inch. Her halo of course remains intact
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    I KNOW I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!

(I even have two ponies picked out for her. )
    Is one of them Whoasie?!!!
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Is one of them Whoasie?!!!
    Ha ha... would LMEqT part with Whoasie??? Sounds like they are two peas in a pod! I am so very glad she has such a lovely pony, she seems like such a good kid.

One on the list is an ugly-but-saintly small that is currently in a friend's lesson string... the other a sweet gray medium who belongs to another friend. I'm hoping by the time Little FG is ready, one of the two will be ready for semi-retirement and can come live with us.... I cannot wait to deck her out in pink riding equipment...

An aside: I hope there is nothing wrong with the Dinkster's foot! I feel an odd connection to him, since he was Dan's "little brother" and all. Hope he is ok!

Flash... Just be forewarned!!! One she is converted... You will never get the ring to yourself again ;-p lol I speak from experience! We are starting the pony search ourselves.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Awwwww!!!!

On the way home, she asked me if I would get her a "little helmet," and put Windsor on "the leash," so she could "ride him fast!"
    That is too cute.

Next time you must take PICTURES!

I am jealous of people who have small children that give them a license to hang around with little ponies! My stepkids are afraid of dirt, let alone my kind, quiet, snuggly (but big and tall) OTTB mare. Sigh.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

She is still talking about it today!

My sister just called and I told her about it, she commented how ironic it is that I've made a serious point NOT to influence her on the horse thing... and here she is, pony crazy...

Anyone know where I can find grooming tools for little hands? She has a hard time with the regular sized brushes.

Lori, I will admit, the thought of cute little ponies in our future makes me all giggly... and it is a shame your step-kids aren't into the horses, seems like Katy would be the perfect type for the occasional pony ride!

Cater speaking of little ones how are you guys adjusting, with the new additional and all?

Lucky!! My sister is having a baby in March, and it will be my first local niece. I told my mare she has 7 years to shape up and be a kids' pony Otherwise, I may have to take the plunge and start looking for a little farm so that I can get an extra niece pony for her. I love ponies!! Hopefully, she will like horses, but if not, the pony would really be for me anyhow I love little ears and the tiny pony muzzles. I need more! Not that I am a little ahead of myself, or anything. She's due in 3 months

Well, that settles it.. you just have to get a pony really, there is nothing better than a pony. Sometimes I think I could sell them all as long as I still had Whoasie to adore. I do think when I am old I might like to breed ponies. I just love ponies!

I unfortunately think the age difference between little miss FG and little miss EqT is too tight for us to be able to pass Whoasie down as she is a medium. Had she been a small.. or the girls further apart in age... brilliant!

So we will be looking forward to seeing your pony pics soon

EqT
    ---

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Awww.... <sniffs suspiciously>

I'm not even all that fond of small humans until they reach a certain age... but HOW COOL is that? <sniff, duck>
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

EqT, I think Whoasie needs to be a permanent fixture at your place! Didn't I hear a rumor that she drives too??

Pony89 I think your mare is on her way to child-proof status. You've done such a good job with her!

I will admit I have a love of ponies.... when I was 12 and 13 I was a scrappy little rider and got to be the pony jock at our barn. Then I grew 6" and literally cried over the fact that I was too big for my favorite beasts! I still relive my pony days every spring... head out to my friend's camp and hop on one of her stocky ponies and bomb around for awhile!!

My favorite pony... way too bratty for little FG tho!
    http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...04109739jSRBAO

(Don't ask why I was wearing a Navajo pad...lol... long story!)

Thumbs up Well done!

My trainer gave me some very good advice when my girls were small and I was wondering whether they were showing interest in the beasties because they wanted to be with me or because they loved it. She told me to hold off on lessons (we already had a pony to play with) until they begged. I guess you can tell just as well when the little one begs to see the beastie

They did beg, and we have loved being able to share the beastie love

It's such a great feeling to know they have that love! Kid #2 has a new horse. Before she knew he was going to belong to her (but I knew) I caught her doing something odd. The horse was in the wash rack and she was grooming him. Suddenly she stopped and did this spastic little dance - her feet sort of prancing in place and her arms flailing a bit. I asked her what she was doing and she said "I just love him so much"! It was a happy dance!! I almost cried
    Y'all ain't right!

Tractor supply has small hands brushes. I just put my little pony, who was 30+ down the week before Christmas. I will eventually have another and I've already told BF that future children are an excuse to buy a pony. Ponies are the best!

"Suddenly she stopped and did this spastic little dance - her feet sort of prancing in place and her arms flailing a bit. I asked her what she was doing and she said "I just love him so much"! It was a happy dance!! I almost cried "

Beastie, that is the cutest story! I did cry a bit! I have seen LMEqT do that, too, and I confess I have done it myself not so long ago when my baby horse sticked 16.1 and looks like he will keep on growing (I have very long legs)...

Flash - DO TELL why you wearing a serape. Really. You owe it to us. I told you (and everyone on COTH) about the pink leopardskin bathrobe I do bedcheck in.. the serape rivals the bathrobe for nightime spookability - necessary for scaring the poop out of any horse who may have been thinking of colicing!
    ---

Man... I have to wait for GRANDKIDS, and DD doesn't seem inclined to even DATE right now. I guess that's a good thing?? Oh well, if they don't come along I'm still small enough to get a pony for me in my old age.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Flash - DO TELL why you wearing a serape. Really. You owe it to us. I told you (and everyone on COTH) about the pink leopardskin bathrobe I do bedcheck in.. the serape rivals the bathrobe for nightime spookability - necessary for scaring the poop out of any horse who may have been thinking of colicing!
    Um.... ok I guess since you spilled the bathrobe story.....

When I worked at camp we used to do this thing called "Indian Hoot" (very PC right?) where we'd basically let the kids run lose in the woods. Then a few of us would dress up like Indians, paint our ponies, and gallop around chasing kids....

I don't even remember what the point of the game was. I think it was more fun for the counselors than the kids.... ha ha.

Blondie the Bratty Haflinger was my trusty Indian Hoot steed every year. We used to do it bareback (and even helmetless! ) and then got smart and started using real equipment!!!

But we kept wearing the navajos... they itched.

Man, I wish I had thought of that!!

When I went through my Indian (Native American) phase, the pony was the only one who really looked the part. I renamed her "Pokaharness" and rode her with just a single hay string through her mouth. We did not ride in the ring - only trails - and usually at breakneck speed. Of course I didn't wear a helmet either

Ah, good times! It's amazing we lived to adulthood

Beastie, that is the cutest story! I did cry a bit! I have seen LMEqT do that, too, and I confess I have done it myself not so long ago when my baby horse sticked 16.1 and looks like he will keep on growing (I have very long legs)...
    It was especially touching to me because kid #2 is 15 and usually too cool for such behavior.
    Y'all ain't right!

Beastie, I bet you've had a great time with your daughters, doing the horse thing. I suppose as horsewomen we all hope that our kids will perhaps take a interest, so when they do it is a tiny bit thrilling....

Funny what you said about the lessons, I was going to take that approach! NO PONIES and NO RIDING until she was older and I knew she really wanted to. But she did her own little "happy dance" down the aisle the other night, and I truly think she is bitten by the horse bug....

Can't complain!!
    Last edited by FlashGordon; Jan. 7, 2009 at 10:23 PM. Reason: I type too fast!!