The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Adequan for dogs?.. update post 12

Tell me your experience with this.

Had you tried anything else before switching to Adequan? What was it?

What does your dog weigh and what is the dosage you're administering?

Any side effects? Bad or good?
    Damn.. meant to post this in 'Around the Farm'. Sorry.
    Last edited by Sansena; Jan. 5, 2009 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Note to mods

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

My dog is on three legs, and he started having serious issues with his left elbow (his only good front leg). The Vet put him on Adequan, and it has made a huge difference. I keep a close eye on him, and I give him a shot a week, or every two weeks, or once a month, depending on how he is doing.

He weighs around 50#, and gets 1cc.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

I just started my dog on it last month. She's 50lbs. - 60lbs. (she's on a perpetual diet), and I've seen great results so far. The loading dose was 1.2cc's / 2x week for 4 weeks, and now we are doing a maintenance of 1.2cc's once a month. No side effects. Prior to Adequan, I tried glucosamine/chondroitin supplements, which did absolutely nothing. I then just had her Rimadyl as needed, but she began to need it too frequently. Now, we're back to using the Rimadyl on an "as needed" basis.

Definitely try it, I highly recommend it, and apparently the earlier you put your dog on it, the better the results. Good luck!

At age 9, my now 10.5 year old Lab was not maintaing as well as he used to on his oral joint supps, so I elected to start the Adequan regimen with him. I did 2x week for 4 weeks, then once a week for 4 weeks, and now maintain him with an injection every 2-4 weeks, depending on his needs. I know him well and can tell when he needs a shot.

He is an 80# Lab and gets 1.2cc/dose, which I administer myself. I buy the horse vials from my vet, which is about 4 doses, give or take. No side effects.

He is also on a good oral supplement...anything to keep him feeling good! He's doing well for a big old chunky dog.
    http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...cky10years.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by flypony74 View Post
    ..He is an 80# Lab and gets 1.2cc/dose, which I administer myself. I buy the horse vials from my vet, which is about 4 doses, give or take. No side effects...]
    Wait. Are you saying you use the equine product for your canine? And the vet said that's okay? THAT would make things easier..

My Akita (Ishi) is about to turn 11 in Jan. He is over 120 pounds (not heavy) and has always been an active dog, always at the barn with me. In November he kind of crashed and we went in to the vet. He was already on FinishLine (just less then 1/2 oz on his dinner daily) and that seemed to help for a while with general old age stuff until this last time.

He is now on Canine Adequan, he got 1 1/2 cc IM every 4 days for 2 weeks and then once a week and I'm going to try for one every 2 weeks. The difference is night and day! He also has perfect bloodwork for his age, and has Rimadyl for the days he really over does it at the barn. Somedays I think he forgets he's about 100 years old and plays with the 2 Wolfhounds and barn kitties a bit too much!

Ishi has an issue in his spine, some fusing causing most of his issues, hips are great. One stifle had a TPLO and the other has a lot of arthritis, but we aren't doing another TPLO at his age so for now the Adequan has been a quality of life saver for him!
    WestWind Farms
    Love means attention, which means looking after the things we love. We call this stable management.
    - George H. Morris

I do IM Adequan to one of my clients dogs.. they are squeamish about giving her shots. She gets - yes, the horse kind - from the horse vet - 1 cc. She is about 60 lbs. Once a month or so. Has basically saved her life.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    I do IM Adequan to one of my clients dogs.. they are squeamish about giving her shots. She gets - yes, the horse kind - from the horse vet - 1 cc. She is about 60 lbs. Once a month or so. Has basically saved her life.
    Darby Dog was 13 on 10.12.08 after being on three legs since 12.31.1999. He may not see many more, but the Adequan helped get him this far....

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

My brittany was on Metacam for a few years which helped, when she turned 12, she was very sore in her hips, xrays showed the ball of the hip practically non-existent. We did the Adequan shots for her, and the difference was amazing.

She stayed on the Metacam and the glucosamine/chondrotin/HA supplements after the shots also.

She lived to be 14 (RIP Abby).

Darby is a liver and white Brittany. And, he has been on Metacam- off currently, but I am going to get his liver tested before we re-up the script.

GREAT dogs!

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Quote Originally Posted by ASB Stars View Post
    Darby is a liver and white Brittany. And, he has been on Metacam- off currently, but I am going to get his liver tested before we re-up the script.

GREAT dogs!
    I agree, we have a 10 year old red and white female brit named Murphy and she is the BEST dog of all - well Abby was also the best. Right now Murphy is just on the Conquer Canine supplements which are working, but I will consider other treatments if she gets worse.

Update: 2nd injection 5 hours ago. First one was 3 days ago. She's positively bouncing.

Is it possible I'd see a difference so quickly? I'm kicking myself for not thinking of this before. Plz share your experiences..

Glad to hear you tried it & your girl is "bouncing." And yes, it works that quickly. My vet said I would see improvement after two or so shots. I was just as surprised.

Now that you know it helps in your dog's case you can figure out how many mgs the dog is getting in each dose and buy a horse vial instead. Depending upon the size of the dog you can get a few doses out of the one vial.

Way ahead of you LaurieRace.. My 65lb chow is getting 1ml of the horse Adequan each time, purchased from my horse vet, wholesale. Thanks, though.

DH thinks Im nuts for simply trying thiis without first speaking to my canine vet, taking radiographs of her spine, and hearing his opinion first. I trust my horse vet first and foremost.. she's never steered me wrong, and doesnt' cost me a mint any time I need to pick her brain

I thought I has read that the dog product is in a different suspension than the horse product. Is that not true? Is it safe to administer the horse product to dogs? And does 1cc of the horse product equal 1cc of the dog product?

The concentration is the same for the canine and equine formulations (100mg/mL). However, I do believe the formulations are different b/c the canine suspension is in a multi-dose vial and the equine version only comes in single-dose vials (i.e. something different in the stability of the equine formulation which does not allow for multi-dosing from the same vial).

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

There's a preservative in the dog version for multi-dose, but I did give my corgi 5 shots over 5 months out of the last bottle (he's a BIG corgi). And yes, I saw immediate results after every shot and didn't have to give him rimadyl once during that 5 months (he's only an occassional user, but still, that was amazing), and it's time to start him back on it - he's been a creaky boy lately. I did keep the bottle stored in an airtight container when it was not in use, but this time I think I'll keep it in the fridge as well.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

My dog (Sheltie) has actually had problems with arthritis, believe it or not, since he was 3. Would come up lame after playing hard, etc. Went on an oral joint supplement for two years - definitely helped. This past May, however, it got worse - he couldn't get up very well, couldn't get on the couch, limped all the time.

Took him to the vet and he has terrible arthritis in both "wrists" - she showed me that on a normal healthy dog, if you bend their paw backwards, the toes should come fairly close to touching the leg (think flexion test). His toes stopped probably 3-4 inches away from his leg - hardly has any flexion at all.

We tried Deramax and he REALLY improved on that for the month he was on it. Too bad it was shutting down his liver and kidneys in the meantime. So took him off of that - was very desolate for a few days and feeling like I was running out of options - either keep him pain free, but shut down his organ systems...let him be in pain...or put him down...and this dog was only FIVE!!...when I started reading about Adequan for dogs.

I jumped on it - I'm the only customer at my vets who has an animal on it - and let me tell you...NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE. I started him in late June and I have yet to see him limp again after the loading dose. Oh - except one time, he came up a little limpy - I checked the calendar and it had been 4 weeks and 3 days since the last shot (bad mom, I was off by a week!) - didn't have a problem again after I got him the shot. So I should say - as long as I give the dose on time, I don't see any more limping.

(Note - it took until about 3-4 days after the LAST dose of the loading dose to see a lot of improvement in my guy - but he was pretty bad to start out with...and he only got better from there.)

I was able to maintain with monthly shots until winter hit - now I do about every 3 weeks or maybe a little sooner - you can just tell when they start looking a bit creaky again that it is time for another shot.

I know I may lose him a little earlier than I would like due to the advanced arthritis at age 5 - but for now, he's maintaining very well and I have all fingers and toes crossed that it will extend a healthy, happy, pain-free life for him. Plus, my vet pointed out that Adequan not only helps with arthritis that is already there...but it helps prevents further damage of the joints and I am very thankful for that.

I would heartily recommend it.

Default Any more Updates?

Just started my 9 year old lab. He is on shot 3 of the 8 shot loading dose. We are using Adequan Equine because the Canine version is on backorder for weeks!

I haven't really noticed a difference yet. I am hoping we will see some improvement after the loading dose. He has moderate arthritis in wrists and elbows and his back gets so sore because he is compensating. He can't do Metacam or Rimadyl because of gastrointestinal reaction to NSAIDS. His stomach is pretty much screwed.
    Member of the Standardbreds with Saddles Clique!
    LouLove - OTTB - 1992-2008...miss you my pretty red girl...
    Wilde! NEW - OTTSTB - 2004 Gelding...my heart's new journey...