The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Temporary foster/hospice home needed for a poor kitty

Poor Mrs. White has really had a crappy life. She is probably about 6 or 7 years old. She spent 5 of those years living in a feral cat colony behind a Walgreens in Randallstown, during which time she had about a dozen litters of kittens. The colony was very well taken care of, and the kittens were always trapped, socialized and rehomed, but Mrs. White could never be trapped, so she just stayed out there having kittens.

I was helping the woman who takes care of the colony trap some kittens a couple of months ago, when lo and behold, wily Mrs. White wandered right into my trap! It turns out that she's a tame kitty, albeit shy and a bit skittish. She had something weird going on with her mouth, so I took her to my vet, who believes she has an oral tumor. Usually these tumors are very aggressive... my vet actually thought she'd be dead within a month of the initial diagnosis. But Mrs. White really doesn't seem to be doing any worse. I give her antibiotics on alternate weeks (she gets them for a week, then a week off, etc.), which seems to help. The only outward sign of her tumor is some drool, and she tilts her head to the side when she eats. She may need some pain medication eventually, but right now she's eating wet and dry food just fine.

I couldn't bear to put Mrs. White back outside -- she'd eventually not be able to eat anymore and would probably starve to death. I thought I'd just keep her warm and well-fed for a couple of weeks until she needed to be euthanized. But she's hanging in there, and doesn't seem to want to go anywhere anytime soon!

I am happy to handle any veterinary care that she needs, but I just don't have any time to spend with her -- she just sits in a crate all day. It'd be nice if she could live like a real housecat (snuggle on the couch, sleep on the bed, etc.) for whatever time she has left. She's timid -- usually when I let her out of the crate she just finds somewhere to hide. But she loves attention, and you can hold her in your lap and pet her all day. She seems interested in other cats, also.

I don't think she will be too long for this world, although who knows, she could surprise everyone! But if anyone would like a temporary kitty, she sure would like a home for the holidays!

I'll add some pictures to this thread later today...

Erin, you're such a good person. If it wouldn't take a year to integrate her into my "cat population" (three cats, three laps, do not WANT other kitties HERE) - I'd help out. We're still working on integrating the last one!

Erin is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Oh, you can go ahead and say it, Jan... I am a SUCKAH!!! My mom tells me this all the time.

Here's a pic of the sweet girl. She's not terribly photogenic, but she's a nice kitty.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3166/...9b70b44e3c.jpg

I lost my beloved 18 year old to a tumor under the tongue earlier this year. Same signs (drooling, trouble eating). It was about eight weeks from the time he started with the symptoms until I put him down. Its very aggressive and very quick so sorry.

Erin is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

CAH, the funny thing is, she's been like this (the drool and head-tilt) since the summer. We're not totally sure it's a tumor, since they didn't do a biopsy. I'm going to take her back to the vet in a week or so to have them check her again... if it's not progressing very quickly, maybe we'll try treatment of some kind, in the hope that it's not actually a malignant tumor.

If it is any help, the first four weeks or so the drool was clear, slightly smelly. At first we thought bad tooth and vet looked around the best she could without knocking him out. Then his mouth started smelling...bad. Took him in again and told her to look around the tongue...just a feeling. There it was, under the tongue. We immediately put him down and looked at it afterwards....nasty thing.

Like JanWeber, I'm still in the process of integrating a new kitty -- barncat turned housecat -- and it's slooooowwww going. (I'm also pretty darn far from Baltimore.) Otherwise, I'd be happy to take in Mrs. White and give her a great life for whatever time she has left. (And she is so photogenic, looks like a lovely little white-and-tabby kitty loaf!)
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Erin - I can't take her (fostering 4 myself right now) but just wanted to say bless your heart for taking her in.