The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ideas needed from horse show food addicts

and those of us forced to eat show food.

another forum got me thinking about this subject:

What is your favorite horse show food?

what is the "best" thing you've run across for food provided at a show? (most convenient, best quality, easiest to handle, most fun to eat....etc)

How much are you willing to pay for food at a show?

mmmm Favorites.

Perogies with sour cream.

Grilled cheese (for some reason tastes so much better at a show then home)

Chicken Ceasar Wraps these were great at a show where it was so hot- and easy to eat and coach at the same time!

ooh one show we had quiche and salad- that was super yummy too and quick- as it was premade- just cut- nuke and chow down
    Qualified Saddle Fitter with the S.M.S.
    www.ravenwoodaussies.com

Chicken Quesadillas. With everything (cheese, tomato, onion, cilantro, etc.). Topped with Sour Cream and Pico de Gallo. And served with taco chips. And watermelon.

*drool*
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Baked potatoes with all the fixings - sour cream, chives, cheese, bacon bits, chili, etc. Our club has sold these a few times at local shows and they went over quite well.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

Grilled Cheese at Chateau Elan in GA

Pizza at Morgan Nationals in OKC
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

LOL. Well I usually brown bag it because I *hate* spending so much money on cheap food. One thing I CAN'T LIVE without on horse show mornings is my chocolate milk and one package (6) of those little tiny chocolate frosted donettes!!!! That usuaully puts me through lunch. And then I usually have PB&J.

If I actually had to stay AT the show I'd want normal food. Maybe cheeseburgers with bacon (YUM), cole slaw in the summer (!). I love fried dough, hahahaha. But that's really FAIR food and not horse show food!

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy's Mom View Post
    Baked potatoes with all the fixings - sour cream, chives, cheese, bacon bits, chili, etc. Our club has sold these a few times at local shows and they went over quite well.
    I agree. Love baked potatoes.

One local event had a van that sold thumb sized chunks of chicken and a dip. Yummy and filling!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Chili - get Thorncroft's recipe if you can - had chili there for the first time as a wee tot and loved it. Now my youngest daughter always wants to know at every show we go to "if there is chili" and is really disappointed if there isn't any!

I'll second grilled cheese, with ham as an option - so much better than at home.

Just recently at a HT they had deviled eggs. Sold in a little pack of 3 and they were delicious. Thought that was surprising at a small food cart but yum!

I also like the eggs and bacon on bagels - especially if you can get them all day.

Okay, can you tell I haven't eaten much today? I'm starving now!

- BBQ Nachos @ G'Town...Yummy!

- Any kind of pasta salad

- Another grilled cheese fan

- Never had a baked potato at a show but love em!

As for price, I will pay anything when I am hungry!
    Animals are not disposable!!!
    http://www.pawsnela.org

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post

I also like the eggs and bacon on bagels - especially if you can get them all day.

Okay, can you tell I haven't eaten much today? I'm starving now!

Off topic but WHEN did McDonalds stop serving breakfast bagels?!?!?!?!?!

That's been my lucky horse show breakfast since I was a kid! I always drive through McD's get an egg and cheese bagel with a gigantic bottle of water and that gets me through 'til dinner. I was soooooo sad when I found out they don't carry them anymore! Horse shows days just won't be the same!

My fave horse show food is the crepes they have at WEF. YUMMMMMM! Anyplace with a variety of salads has my vote as well.

Anything but a greasy hamburger, please. I don't eat much at shows as it is, and a greasy low-quality piece of meat is not going to entice me.

I love a good old fashioned grilled cheese, so I'll vote for that. Some sort of light wrap or pita sandwich would be nice. If all else fails, I can always force myself choke down a cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by hedmbl View Post
    My fave horse show food is the crepes they have at WEF. YUMMMMMM!
    THIS sounds good!

I am obviously going to the wrong horse shows.... You guys have AWESOME stuff!!!

I'll put in a vote for egg and cheese breakfast sandwiches.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

My absolute favorite horse show food comes in a divided up plastic container.

The largest section has Apricot Chicken Salad with Sliced Almonds...

Another part has a baguette that is sliced and toasted... So, you can make mini-sandwiches...

The third section has strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, and pineapple.

The last section has a hand sanitary wipe, a small fork, and a little napkin.

Ummm...I want one now!

Veggie wraps are my favorite (well, unless you count smoothies/ ice cream) but I'm usually happy to find grilled cheeses. The worst is when there are no vegetarian options, no cheese so I can have a burgerless cheese burger, and no left over bagels from breakfast! For this reason, I usually do brown bag it.

Fried Mac n' Cheese bites.....yummm!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Pasta salad in Summer w/some sort of protein
    Grilled chicken sammies in cooler weather
    Grilled cheese anytime : - 9
    Nice to have egg sandwiches to eat on the run before early schooling.

FWIW: it would be nice if show food was priced realistically.
    I worked in hospitality for a 4-star hotel and I know what food really costs the vendors.
    $8.50 for a chicken breast on a bun is outrageous
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Our shows are almost always multi day shows, and eating every meal at the "snack shack" would kill us. So I try to pack ice chests so that we can have quick, easy, healthier -- and cheaper -- alternatives.

If I do eat from the food vendors, I love a good grilled cheese. At the Santa Barbara Nationals they were serving really good bean/rice/cheese, with fixins', burritos that were really awesome. Easy to eat, not too messy and those were really good.

But my all time favorite was at a little tiny show, they had egg, cheese and ham on croissants -- they were DIVINE. I don't know why ALL show food vendors don't have those!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    Chili - get Thorncroft's recipe if you can - had chili there for the first time as a wee tot and loved it. Now my youngest daughter always wants to know at every show we go to "if there is chili" and is really disappointed if there isn't any!

I don't want to rock your world, but if you're talking about the chili at DAD... the recipe is Campbell's

I feel like loyalty makes me say "Devon Hot Dogs" but the truth is that I loooove the tea sandwiches!!!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by pattnic View Post
    Grilled Cheese at Chateau Elan in GA

Pizza at Morgan Nationals in OKC

Ditto that!
    "Farriers are the hairdressers of the horse world. They know everything about everybody..."-Lildunhorse